392 Hemi V8 coming (possibly to new Wrangler / Gladiator)

Polish_20200711_140246830.png

Didn't the chief designer say a v8 wouldn't work because it would never pass the crash test? Maybe after the JL flipped on it's side they said to hell with it.

My guess is at this point they’ve been working on something in secret to make it work.

All it has to do is BARELY pass and that will sell. Most people buying a Hemi powered JL aren’t going to be remotely concerned about safety.

I've said all along a factory v8 Wrangler would be a raging success, to the point it could hurt the 4 door V6 values....make them look like 2.5's .

Is a 6.4 needed...? Not really .

There's a lot of ground between the 3.6 and 6.4 , anything around 4.5-5.3 would be a success for the 4 door.

The Bronco will not affect the Wrangler sales notably...the Bronco is a returning icon , the Wrangler An Icon that never left. It is a lifestyle.

It will be niche vehicle, like a Cobra or Hummer, but won't ever sell near the numbers the Wrangler does. To think they are head to head competition is a mistake. Jeep has a fan base and culture that no one can capture so far.

A V8 JLUR would be the most sought after, production 4 wheel drive we've seen yet.

Jeep has a history of usable but marginal power plants and FCA definitely held on to the marginal part.

More power is long overdue.

Last edited:
I've said all along a factory v8 Wrangler would be a raging success, to the point it could hurt the 4 door V6 values....make them look like 2.5's .

Is a 6.4 needed...? Not really .

There's a lot of ground between the 3.6 and 6.4 , anything around 4.5-5.3 would be a success for the 4 door.

The Bronco will not affect the Wrangler sales notably...the Bronco is a returning icon , the Wrangler An Icon that never left. It is a lifestyle.

It will be niche vehicle, like a Cobra or Hummer, but won't ever sell near the numbers the Wrangler does. To think they are head to head competition is a mistake. Jeep has a fan base and culture that no one can capture so far.

A V8 JLUR would be the most sought after, production 4 wheel drive we've seen yet.

Jeep has a history of usable but marginal power plants and FCA definitely held on to the marginal part.

More power is long overdue.
But a lot of people buy Wranglers to drive around with the top off, the Bronco can do that and likely do it better.

Plus factory 35’s and 4.70:1 factory gearing is there for some reason.

I think the new Bronco can and will eat into Wrangler sales. The JKU basically became the new H2 when it was discontinued. Most of those folks are loyal to a look, not a brand. I have a feeling the Bronco will have a strong appeal to that set.

I agree with @Starrs about the power plants. Putting a V8 in the JL would be a savvy move on FCA’s part, especially now. It takes a little wind out of Ford’s sails.

It gives the Wrangler something the competition doesn’t offer and will keep it in the mix for buyers who aren’t brand loyal, and there are a lot of them.

Reactions: Midwest
But a lot of people buy Wranglers to drive around with the top off, the Bronco can do that and likely do it better.

Plus factory 35’s and 4.70:1 factory gearing is there for some reason.
It's already been evaluated... removing the Bronco top isn't going to be worth the effort.

They have always been similar vehicles that appealed to different buyers.

The only way to be in the Jeep club is with a Jeep. There's only one.

It's already been evaluated... removing the Bronco top isn't going to be worth the effort.

They have always been similar vehicles that appealed to different buyers.

The only way to be in the Jeep club is with a Jeep. There's only one.
Looks fine with the top removed in the photos?

Reactions: Rick Flair
Looks fine with the top removed in the photos?
It's not the look... It's the pain the owner has to go through to do it.

As one Bronco owner told me yesterday from one he had years ago... "I removed it one time and never wanted to do it again."

It is just a feature they wanted to include because the original Broncos had it.

It's going to get some attention, but it won't be another Wrangler, no more than the Gladiator did all that FCA anticipated.

It's a beloved vehicle. It's return is long awaited , and Ford is making some really nice products.

I told my wife the other day: “If the Bronco has a V8 I’m buying it” her response “will you sell your Jeep” my response “heck no” but I’d much rather have to Jeeps!!! Jeep please please please put a V8 in the gladiator!!!

Reactions: reddvltj
It's not the look... It's the pain the owner has to go through to do it.

As one Bronco owner told me yesterday from one he had years ago... "I removed it one time and never wanted to do it again."

It is just a feature they wanted to include because the original Broncos had it.

It's going to get some attention, but it won't be another Wrangler, no more than the Gladiator did all that FCA anticipated.

It's a beloved vehicle. It's return is long awaited , and Ford is making some really nice products.
I didn’t realize they showed how the new one works. I’d be surprised if it’s that difficult.

Reactions: Midwest