3D printable pods for 5.25" in-dash speakers

Chase_C

Hi all, this is my first post so let me start by sharing some goodies. :)

These are some speaker pods I designed to be 3D printed so that we can all have better audio without costing an arm/leg. If you already have a printer, these can be printed for less than $5 worth of plastic. They made a huge difference in my TJ, so if you have a printer give 'em a try.

Thingiverse link

I believe I came across these on one of the Facebook Jeep groups. Great idea and thanks for sharing! Also, any recommendation on an entry level 3D printer that would handle projects like these well?

Reactions: N757KF
I did share them there as well!

As for a good entry level printer that has a big enough build volume for these, I would say the Prusa I3 (Mk2 or Mk3). They aren't the cheapest, or most expensive, but they are very well made and high quality. They will also print any type of filament you want and I hear great things about their service.

Reactions: Chris
I did share them there as well!

As for a good entry level printer that has a big enough build volume for these, I would say the Prusa I3 (Mk2 or Mk3). They aren't the cheapest, or most expensive, but they are very well made and high quality. They will also print any type of filament you want and I hear great things about their service.

That looks amazing. I know very little about 3D printers so I imagine pricing is all over the place, like Wal Mart has some for under $200 and other high end ones go up to $10k plus. This is something I would love to have.

Any chance you are selling those pods? Seems like a great profit margin relative to the other pods that are available.

Thanks! 3D printing is a fun hobby and it took me about a year of looking at different printers before I pulled the trigger.

I'm not actively selling the pods currently. They may end up on my Etsy page at some point, but they take about 28 hours to print a full set.

However, I would encourage anyone else that wants to print and sell them to go right ahead. I'm not looking for any kind of profit off of these things and only ask that you credit me with the design. Same goes for any vendors that would like to use/modify the design. The full CAD/STEP file is included in the Thingiverse page. Have fun!

Thanks a lot. Now i'm all stirred up on those printers and what you can do with them. Just need time and imagination... besides a little cash of course. Good stuff!!!

Thanks a lot. Now i'm all stirred up on those printers and what you can do with them. Just need time and imagination... besides a little cash of course. Good stuff!!!

Same hear! So many manufacturers, like XYZprinting is an economical printer but only 3 star Amazon reviews with many reviewers saying missing parts, broken pieces, stops working after one or two prints, and terrible customer support.

Lulzbot gets much better reveiews but their entry level printer is $1.2k. Then you need to buy filament, a case and before you know it that is $1.5k.

I don't want to spend that much, nor spend any money on a printer that is gonna be a bad experience, so I think I need to wait until prices drop more.

How do you like it?

Very happy with it. I was fortunate that my best friend is into 3D printing and he uses the same printer. When I was shopping for a printer he was the one who suggested I get the Robo. I modded mine with a full graphics controller so It is basically standalone and print via SD card.

Here is his Thingiverse link https://www.thingiverse.com/Pergo/designs

Last edited:
Reactions: skrelnik
WOW, thank you!

Now I just wish I had (or knew someone with) a 3D printer!

For sure! I love my Jeep and making random things. Plus, the jeep community seems to be full of (generally) nice folks!

I'll probably end up throwing some of these up on Etsy in the by the weekend, so feel free to give it a look. :D

Post the link if and when you do.

The speaker pods on Amazon are $80!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T1AB28Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That's why I made my own. If they go up I'll be sure to post a link here. I'm thinking a couple pricing options and would love some feedback.

$35 - Just the plastic pods
$45 - Plastic pods with sound dampening material (Not installed) and polyfill
$55 - Plastic pods with sound dampener, terminated wire, and polyfill all installed

Reactions: JeepZilla380
That's why I made my own. If they go up I'll be sure to post a link here. I'm thinking a couple pricing options and would love some feedback.

$35 - Just the plastic pods
$45 - Plastic pods with sound dampening material (Not installed) and polyfill
$55 - Plastic pods with sound dampener, terminated wire, and polyfill all installed

Those prices sound fair! Half the price of the ones on Amazon, and you have the option of the polyfil (which I really like) and the sound dampener.

Those prices sound fair! Half the price of the ones on Amazon, and you have the option of the polyfil (which I really like) and the sound dampener.
Awesome! I'll try to add some up over the next day or two. It takes a full 28 hours for me to print one pair. :eek: