3rd quarter Gladiator sales (16,132 units)

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
July, August and September sales total 16, 132 units , with a little over 23,000 sold to date .

This is a far cry from the Tacoma . It sells roughly 4-5 times more units monthly, but it is a very established product with a loyal following...,and it didn’t get there overnight. The JLU, incidentally , sells in similar numbers to the Tacoma .

I can’t help but think the Gladiator attracts some 4 door wrangler customers and is seen as a potential “Super Wrangler “...in full battle dress it looks good.

It fares well with the rest of the category , as the competition in the mid size category isn’t that exciting.. ,I’m not saying it’s bad...there is just nothing like the Gladiator...in mid size or any category.

Will it stay in production long? Will it go down in history like other “I remember those” Jeep trucks...

Will sales increase?

I felt all along it wasn’t going to be the hit it was hyped to be , and really disagreed with some statements FCA was making ...in hindsight , I think what irked me was I just didnt think it was marketed right - it should have been shown on the trail with 9 or 10 wranglers and competitors with someone asking...hey , who’s got the food, drinks and tents ....Bill does, and here comes Bill in a big bad Gladiator with all the essentials for the big bonfire gathering as the commercial fades.

Of course I’m the same guy who as a teenager had no idea how people as dumb as my parents could have a kid as smart as me.

I don't think it has turned out to be the massive hit / hype that some would have believed. However, I also don't believe it's a complete failure either.

I see them around quite a bit now, and I still think they are ugly, even when lifted on bigger tires. If I was looking for mid-size truck, this wouldn't even be on the list of trucks I would be considering. It would either be a Tacoma or a Colorado ZR2.

However, there's a shit ton of people out there who are willing to buy them, so I know nothing.

One thing I really think is that FCA really needed to look at was the body style ....it strikes so many people as ugly even some true Jeep guys say it is...and that says a lot about how polar it is .

To some degree it suffers from the squarish design traits that always held back its predecessors.

Just adding a cool camper shell option would have a good impact , and market it as a removable back top or sell an extended top that is a shelf over 12-16 inches of the bed and things in the bed can slide under to take the long bed appearance down some.

I’ve finally see a few on the roads recently. Dealership has always had a few and now have a Rubi.

I like the looks. Then again I like the JLs too. The interior in both is not that impressive to me. Overall not bad but the color choices are odd. Per the website if you get black interior you get red stitching and this weird red panel on the dash. Regardless of exterior color, black has red stitching. Order tan, and you get tan seats, black everything else, silver stitching and silver dash panel. Someone was on drugs when they made those the options.

Read an article on Drudge discussing the sticker shock of the Gladiators. I agree, they probably should have knocked at least $10k off the Rubis. When I build mine online it’s about $55k with a manual. I’d be pretty tempted to go buy it with same options for $42k.

I’ve finally see a few on the roads recently. Dealership has always had a few and now have a Rubi.

I like the looks. Then again I like the JLs too. The interior in both is not that impressive to me. Overall not bad but the color choices are odd. Per the website if you get black interior you get red stitching and this weird red panel on the dash. Regardless of exterior color, black has red stitching. Order tan, and you get tan seats, black everything else, silver stitching and silver dash panel. Someone was on drugs when they made those the options.

Read an article on Drudge discussing the sticker shock of the Gladiators. I agree, they probably should have knocked at least $10k off the Rubis. When I build mine online it’s about $55k with a manual. I’d be pretty tempted to go buy it with same options for $42k.
And that really says a lot about what may be affecting sales...it’s in the F250 Diesel price range nearly, and a lot of money for an odd vehicle with a V6.

It needs a V8 badly.

Like the sometimes seen Hummer , it’s almost in the off road status symbol category on price .

For me the main problem is who's building it, FCA. I've spent considerable time in the auto sector working on cars from Germany, Korea, Japan, and the USA. Frankly, we suck at building vehicles, the Germans make everything more complicated than it needs to be, Korea likes shortcuts to cut costs, but Japan for the most part still builds a high quality and decently thought out product (most of the time). If I was in the market for a compact truck it would be a tacoma no question about it, better product for less money.

I know a lot of people who want one but are holding out for the diesel. Curious to see how much that will help (or hurt) those numbers.

Its funny but i have seen more at the dealership then i have seen on the road. Just like the JK and JL they seem to be just sitting around. Most dealers around me have so many jeeps the store them in 2 or 3 different places.

With the price tag they have put on them they are going to be a novelty.

It's is fairly small and yet has the price that is way too high even for a full size.. I just don't see the value, but then I can't see the value of any new vehicle..

Everything is just overpriced because they got people used to the idea that's what vehicles cost

I do not believe in 4 door Wranglers. Why? Get a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee.
I don't believe in 4 door trucks either. Unless you are on the County road crew or a lumberjack. I can barely take a cab-and-a-bit truck.
I know that makes me old and hard headed. And I know there are a lot of good reasons for a 4 door truck. I haven't seen any adds showing off the removable top on the Gladiator either. May be a NY thing. Might be illegal here anyway (like a big gulp). The stats show it to be a better truck than the Taco or the US midsize products. I think the diesel should sell better.
But offer a 2 door (even a cab and a bit) with the diesel. All the dealers around me only stock a vehicle loaded up with options I don't want. Jack the price up an extra 10 grand. All of them. Ford, Honda, all of them. Might be different elsewhere, but geesh, $50K is a whole lot of cash. And my area is STILL waiting for this Obama economy that is (allegedly) so great. I guess the Trump bump should get here sometime too.

It's is fairly small and yet has the price that is way too high even for a full size.. I just don't see the value, but then I can't see the value of any new vehicle..

Everything is just overpriced because they got people used to the idea that's what vehicles cost
Ever since the cash for clunkers BS gutted used car market the used car prices went up, so the automakers felt emboldened to jack up new car prices as well. Ford is discontinuing most of their sedans cause they figured out they make way more profit margins on overpriced trucks and suv's.

Reactions: Chris
How much does it cost FCA to build the base model Gladiator which starts at $33k?

Using the base model Gladiator as an example;
if $33k is, “overpriced,” how much should it be and what do YOU base that, “fantasy,” price off of?

I didnt dig into it deeply, but the front and rear 44 package is ~$990. Not bad for two complete Dana 44 axles installed and ready to go.

A J6 diesel would be make me open my wallet.

1570395549076.jpg

What is their profit margins on their “overpriced trucks?” Something in writing that Ford released?
Yes, basically Ford announced in early 2018 that they don't sell as many sedans (which traditionally have smaller margins) as they used to and will restructure most of their production on suv's and trucks that have been selling well due to lower fuel costs. Here is an industry article touching on the disproportion of production costs: https://www.autonews.com/article/20...911/crossovers-and-suvs-fatten-profit-margins

Just adding a cool camper shell option would have a good impact , and market it as a removable back top or sell an extended top that is a shelf over 12-16 inches of the bed and things in the bed can slide under to take the long bed appearance down some.

My wife and I have been talking about the exact same thing. Jeep hard tops are pretty slick and modular these days - imagine having one of those with a modular type shell like you're describing. I don't personally like them unless they, at a minimum, have a good life and some other significant mods. Imagine a 2-door version with an actual legit long bed and a modular top that can be converted as needed.

I think Chris made this point already but if you had that kind of money to spend, I don't know why you'd ever buy a Gladiator over the other available options that seem like they give you way more bang/functionality for your buck.

Reactions: Chris
The way the sales of the JKU had skyrocketed from the standard CJ, YJ, TJ market I think FCA thought they could build anything "Jeep" at any price and us fools would rush in, wallets open. But even more so, the dealerships. You used to be able to go to buy a car and they had half a row of base models on the lot to choose from. Now they won't even special order you a base model. Just get a 7 or 8 year loan. You can afford that!
But again, I think the economy that people like us live in is very different than what the Dow Jones says. And maybe in the big sanctuary cities where everyone gets a free cellphone and a free car there is enough money for all topend products, but rural areas can't afford that.
And Ford getting out of the US car market because trucks make them more money is disgusting. Too bad we couldn't all quit buying anything Ford stating we can buy another brand and keep ourselves more profitable.

Reactions: TJFlorida1999
Yes, basically Ford announced in early 2018 that they don't sell as many sedans (which traditionally have smaller margins) as they used to and will restructure most of their production on suv's and trucks that have been selling well due to lower fuel costs. Here is an industry article touching on the disproportion of production costs: https://www.autonews.com/article/20...911/crossovers-and-suvs-fatten-profit-margins
I read that they cost about the same in the article, IMO, if the writer is writing that, just tell us what the cost is. For the writer to not come out and compare actual build cost and actual MSRP numbers leads me to believe its just opinion and not fact.

My wife and I have been talking about the exact same thing. Jeep hard tops are pretty slick and modular these days - imagine having one of those with a modular type shell like you're describing. I don't personally like them unless they, at a minimum, have a good life and some other significant mods. Imagine a 2-door version with an actual legit long bed and a modular top that can be converted as needed.

I think Chris made this point already but if you had that kind of money to spend, I don't know why you'd ever buy a Gladiator over the other available options that seem like they give you way more bang/functionality for your buck.
They have started making some...

https://www.rlddesignusa.com/p/jeep_gladiator/2020-jeep-gladiator-truck-cap-canopy/