3rd time's a charm, California or bust

Brianj5600

TJ Expert
I have planned a 4 week trip out west the last 2 years without making it. 2019 a family member had some medical trouble and had to cancel. I was set to go in 2020, but my son wasn't having it with Covid. Hopefully it will work out for 2021.

I've made the trip to Colorado several times leaving around 2 am. Driving straight through to the eastern slope before dark. That's about 1200 miles, but gives me 1 extra day. I am meeting up with my parents and traveling with them most of the time. The current departure date is 8/2.

Places I plan to go will be mostly National Parks along with some National Forest. We will rest a couple days and head for Yellowstone. I plan on meeting up with Apparition 8/11 for the Rubicon Trail. More to come.

If you didn't see it in my Rubicon thread, you need reservations for Yosemite. May want to check others too.

They wouldn't let me drive through rocky mountain national park last year without a reservation even though I had zero intention of stopping or getting out.

I didn't see any requirement for Sequoia.

I would like to do at least one trail that is challenging, but not crazy in as many states as I can. I don't have a specific route planned yet, but when I do I'll be looking for suggestions for some fun trails.

If you didn't see it in my Rubicon thread, you need reservations for Yosemite. May want to check others too.

They wouldn't let me drive through rocky mountain national park last year without a reservation even though I had zero intention of stopping or getting out.

If I am reading this correctly it is possible.

Day-Use Reservations​

Reservations are available on recreation.gov, with most reservations available in spring, and limited reservations available seven days before the arrival date (e.g., make a reservation for an arrival date of September 30 on September 23):

Reservations are available each day at 8 am Pacific time. Reservations are taken almost immediately. Be sure to have an account and be logged in and ready to get a reservation promptly at 8 am Pacific time.

The non-refundable reservation fee is $2 and is included in the $35/car park entrance fee. If you have an annual or lifetime pass, be sure to specify you're a current pass holder to pay the discounted rate ($2).

Cancelled reservations become available immediately on recreation.gov.

I would like to do at least one trail that is challenging, but not crazy in as many states as I can. I don't have a specific route planned yet, but when I do I'll be looking for suggestions for some fun trails.

If I am reading this correctly it is possible.

Day-Use Reservations​

Reservations are available on recreation.gov, with most reservations available in spring, and limited reservations available seven days before the arrival date (e.g., make a reservation for an arrival date of September 30 on September 23):

Reservations are available each day at 8 am Pacific time. Reservations are taken almost immediately. Be sure to have an account and be logged in and ready to get a reservation promptly at 8 am Pacific time.

The non-refundable reservation fee is $2 and is included in the $35/car park entrance fee. If you have an annual or lifetime pass, be sure to specify you're a current pass holder to pay the discounted rate ($2).

Cancelled reservations become available immediately on recreation.gov.
Yeah, we paid our $2 for one. We also bought a new annual pass during TJFest so shouldn't have to pay anymore. If you don't already have the annual and you're going to a couple parks, you should get one.

I think he’s said Yellowstone,my sis just got back a week ago and no reservations needed.but Cali is probably way different.

If in the sierra nevadas... you can hit BLM and wilderness areas, whcih require no reservations.

You can primitive/disperse camp with ease.

Example.... south of yosemite... near kings canyon... is jennie lakes wilderness. Plenty of disperesed camping sites.

I have planned a 4 week trip out west the last 2 years without making it. 2019 a family member had some medical trouble and had to cancel. I was set to go in 2020, but my son wasn't having it with Covid. Hopefully it will work out for 2021.

I've made the trip to Colorado several times leaving around 2 am. Driving straight through to the eastern slope before dark. That's about 1200 miles, but gives me 1 extra day. I am meeting up with my parents and traveling with them most of the time. The current departure date is 8/2.

Places I plan to go will be mostly National Parks along with some National Forest. We will rest a couple days and head for Yellowstone. I plan on meeting up with Apparition 8/11 for the Rubicon Trail. More to come.
Have you been to CA before ? just wondering so we could make some suggestions of not to miss places.

Reactions: Sancho
It is not looking good at this moment. My mom is in the hospital and I seriously doubt I'll be making the trip. We were going to travel together for the most part and my kids were going to travel mostly with mom and dad. If things go well she will be out early next week, but I doubt she will be able to make the trip. Maybe next year,

I may do a shorter trip to Colorado, Arizona and Utah the last 2 weeks in July.

It is not looking good at this moment. My mom is in the hospital and I seriously doubt I'll be making the trip. We were going to travel together for the most part and my kids were going to travel mostly with mom and dad. If things go well she will be out early next week, but I doubt she will be able to make the trip. Maybe next year,

Ouch.

Well if you get through Arizona, look up the AZ people sticky in the regional forum. Mayhaps some of us can meet up with you.

Reactions: Brianj5600

Prayers for your mother. 🙏

Sorry to hear about your mom, I hope she gets better soon. Don't be too disappointed about not getting to CA. There are many beautiful places to see in CO, AZ, and UT

Reactions: Brianj5600
Don't leave Idaho out of the mix. Sourthern/Central Idaho has some great wheeling as well.... SW Idaho's high desert/Owyhee Mountain area has a bunch of trails ranging from moderate to challenging. That entire area, where Idaho, Oregon and Nevada come together is about as remote as you can get so typically not a ton of traffic out there as well.

The area has diverse landscape for sure;

1624127204834.png

1624127277969.png

1624127323386.png

• Love
Reactions: Plumber1
Don't leave Idaho out of the mix. Sourthern/Central Idaho has some great wheeling as well.... SW Idaho's high desert/Owyhee Mountain area has a bunch of trails ranging from moderate to challenging. That entire area, where Idaho, Oregon and Nevada come together is about as remote as you can get so typically not a ton of traffic out there as well.

The area has diverse landscape for sure;

View attachment 260333

View attachment 260334

View attachment 260335

ID was on the list. I plan to retire in the next couple years and will have plenty of time to explore.
Sorry to hear about your mom, I hope she gets better soon. Don't be too disappointed about not getting to CA. There are many beautiful places to see in CO, AZ, and UT

Thanks, I've been to CA several times, mostly out of the heavily populated areas. I have seen some of the wheeling vids out of CA and would like to see some in person.

Last edited: