3rd Time's a Charm LJ Build

And I’d been checking Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for parts pretty much constantly. I happened across a hell of a deal on a Warn M8274. Based on the date code and some details it appears to be a 1978. The seller bought it new for his CJ and kept it planning to put it on a woods rig and never got around to it.

318C981F-4535-475C-8527-36115A2A249C.jpeg

I also picked up a free TJ winch plate thanks to FB Marketplace. The original plan was to marry the CJ winch plate with the TJ plate and get it mounted up. But once I mocked up the CJ plate, I decided it was too big. And while everything was apart to mock up the plate, I started cleaning up the frame. The frame horns were the worst from the plowing and plow frame mounts. So I hit it with some wire wheels and flap discs and got a quick coat of paint on the frame, sway bar and bumper.

8DF69F10-5DF2-4061-BDAE-42BBF254EC53.jpeg

So I ordered a Hanson M8274 plate, but their customer service has gone into the toilet since I last ordered from them back in 2004. I ended up with a Warn M8274 mount for the Warn JK bumpers which I think will look a lot better. I’ll cut the fairlead mount off The TJ plate and use the two to get the winch up and running. I also got 100’ of synthetic cable, a new hook, new power cables and a hawse fairlead.

07C0BBCE-5AA5-49EA-8532-F277B81266B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Good couple of days.

Yesterday I finished cutting up the TJ winch plate and got it welded back together and drilled to match the JK 8274 plate. I also cut out the nut with a broken bumper bolt out of the frame horn and welded a new nut in.

Today I gots few coats of paint on the plate, got the JK plate on it and got the winch mounted. Then I got it on the Jeep, got everything wired with new cables and got the synthetic line spooled (though I will have to respool).

3A49C08C-1A6D-4339-BB76-8EA828D5EEC2.jpeg

7E3D9F65-4AAB-4F79-BB67-E53DEC50BD27.jpeg

It’s ridiculous. It’s excessive. But I’ve always wanted one, so it’s perfect.

It's been a while since I've updated this, but no big updates.

A few weeks ago I picked up a HP Dana 30 so I can take care of a full rebuild on the bench. It needs some work but the price was right and it will be a fun project. I should be able to do everything but the re-gear myself.

view.jpg

Yesterday I also pulled the soft top, hardware and got out for a ride with the girls. 60 degrees in November with heated seats is great!

view.jpg

Then I gave the interior a quick clean up and cleaned the hard top with Magic Erasers. The Jeep should be ready for winter. Just need to pick up a new Warn Stealth cover for the 8274.

view.jpg

Finally, still struggling with P0462. I've already replaced the pump and sending unit with the Bosch. This week I pulled the loom I could get to in the engine compartment and inspected wires. There were no chaffed wires or places where it was clear the loom was rubbing. I also did a once-over everywhere I could see behind the VSS. Still nothing obvious. Next step will be to drop the tank a bit to get to the plug and troubleshoot per the FSM with my multimeter. I did a visual on the plug when I replaced the pump and it looked OK, but clearly something else is up. The troubleshooting should narrow it down to a short somewhere or the PCM.

Good couple of days.

Yesterday I finished cutting up the TJ winch plate and got it welded back together and drilled to match the JK 8274 plate. I also cut out the nut with a broken bumper bolt out of the frame horn and welded a new nut in.

Today I gots few coats of paint on the plate, got the JK plate on it and got the winch mounted. Then I got it on the Jeep, got everything wired with new cables and got the synthetic line spooled (though I will have to respool).

It’s ridiculous. It’s excessive. But I’ve always wanted one, so it’s perfect.

IMHO a Warn 8274 isn't excessive for our TJ's. I have had one on every single one of my Jeeps since 1992. I love a Warn 8274 and they are just great for getting you unstuck or helping others get unstuck.

Looks great and fits on your TJ just fine. The only thing I would have done differently is I'd have put 150' of rope on it but I like to have as much as I can because I've been just that much short before.

A few weeks ago I installed a new East Penn/Deka AGM battery from NAPA and a set of Custom Battery Cables. I was able to swap everything over since the terminals were in rough shape and there was a lot of corrosion on the wires at the connections.

I also picked up and threw on the Warn Stealth cover for the winch for the winter.

tempImagekVnwGd.png

tempImage3QvihK.png

So, after battling P0462 for 6 months, I finally let someone look at it. Dealership diagnosed it as a bad sending unit. They didn't drop the tank and do the checks for resistance on the connector per the powertrain manual, but if the first troubleshooting step goes one way, it points to the unit and they didn't proceed from there. The Delphi unit is only a few months old, and I still had the problem the first time I started it after replacing the pump/sending unit. So I find it highly unlikely there was the same issue with a new pump that I was dealing with before. They said there were no issues in the wiring they inspected.

Fast forward to my vacation. I ended up dropping the tank again and pulling the harness from the pump to the VSS and did a few of the diagnostic tests on my multi-meter. It may have been operator error or the fact it's a cheap unit, but I couldn't make much sense of what I was seeing. I also found no potential shorts... In fact the wiring looked brand new. So back everything went. I also pulled the harness apart at PCM connectors C2 & C3 and inspected all the wiring. There were a few spots that could lead to future problems, but no shorts anywhere I could find in the engine bay. I also pulled the dash as much as I could and inspected the connectors for the gauges, and wiring back there and again, nothing obvious.

So, my NEW new fuel pump arrived. Trying a Bosch this time. Not sure when I'm going to have a chance to install it but it's sitting there ready to go. I'm tempted to drop the tank enough to unplug the pump currently installed and plug the new pump in without actually installing it and seeing if I can tell if it'll throw the code again or not.

I have to admit, this one has been frustrating enough that I've considered selling it. No obvious wiring issues. New pump. PCM is the last thing and when I talked to WranglerFix, he had never heard of the issue related to the PCM, though it is the last potential cause in the powertrain manual. Clearing the code every time I want to check my fuel level is getting old. I get it's 15 years old, but troubleshooting this shouldn't be this difficult and I don't want to keep throwing parts and time at it.

There are probably some things that I should've done first, like brakes or addressing the fuel sending unit. But I just couldn't stand the stock stereo any more. Last night I installed a Joying 8.8” single-DIN Android floating screen head unit. The widescreen aspect ratio fits perfectly between the vents and HVAC controls, though I need to adjust the screen up a little. It has wired and wireless CarPlay, and looks and sounds great. And because it’s single DIN, I was able to keep my silver bezel.

View attachment 182056

View attachment 182058

Now to refill the Jeep fund for whatever comes next.
More people need to be aware of this product, nice find.

@Chris @JMT

It does have Wireless CarPlay. You can connect it to charge and use CarPlay, but it’s not necessary. Sometimes wireless can be a little less responsive, but it hasn’t been an issue. It really looks like it’s made for the TJ. Being an Android unit, it does have a few quirks, but I would 100% buy again. I’ve had other double-DIN CarPlay units, and the widescreen aspect ratio is much better.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Big change that matches the current state of my Jeep budget... Steps removed.

My girls use the steps, but not enough to keep having to look at them. Much better.

0ABFD3AF-9C43-4C47-A3E5-9BB285E9F0EB.jpeg

Otherwise just collecting parts for this...

4ED2C385-75E2-4F79-B52E-B745392C6D4C.jpeg

CDD3214D-79ED-499E-82A4-4553EB77611B.jpeg

And my big plans for spring, after cleaning the entire frame and underside of the tub, are F&R bumpers and a UCF no-BL skid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73
So not directly LJ related but... My Dad decided he wanted a truck to eventually replace his JK. And since he wanted a project for us to tackle, he didn’t want something turnkey. After missing this on a local forum, it popped up on FB Marketplace yesterday. I just got back from looking at it with him... He bought it and we’ll pick it up next weekend.

EA7EC8C8-A21B-4CC2-B47D-70FBC398B14E.jpeg

It definitely needs some work, but it should be a fun project and a great way to develop some new skills while being a great excuse to buy some new tools!

So not directly LJ related but... My Dad decided he wanted a truck to eventually replace his JK. And since he wanted a project for us to tackle, he didn’t want something turnkey. After missing this on a local forum, it popped up on FB Marketplace yesterday. I just got back from looking at it with him... He bought it and we’ll pick it up next weekend.

View attachment 230128

It definitely needs some work, but it should be a fun project and a great way to develop some new skills while being a great excuse to buy some new tools!
You should definitely start a build thread somewhere with that project. I would love to follow along. Not only is it a super cool ride but time with the pop can't be gotten back. Enjoy both!

Reactions: en480c4
You should definitely start a build thread somewhere with that project. I would love to follow along. Not only is it a super cool ride but time with the pop can't be gotten back. Enjoy both!
It’s really cool that we found this. He and I did a frame-off on my ‘62 CJ-5 back in 2006, which I sold to buy my first place. This is a ‘62 as well, so it’s great to have a second chance at a project with him that’ll be a keeper!

love the wheels on this build...link to seat heaters? my wife would love that addition on brisk topless days!!

thanks

love the wheels on this build...link to seat heaters? my wife would love that addition on brisk topless days!!

thanks
Thanks. It was a happy accident, though I’d prefer to move on from them to TJ Moabs. But it’s not a great time for Jeep shenanigans like that with everything else on my plate.

The exact seat heaters I used don’t show up as available, but this link looks like the exact same product, right down to the imagine of the directions. A great mod for under $50 and a few hours.