4.2 vs 4.0 Engine Swap

Shane 8N

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Forum ,from Hernando county Florida. I apologize in advance if I'm ( one of those guys) not in the correct sub-forum .
The subtitle seemed appropriate.
About a year ago I enquired a 1988 YJ. Manual transmission but no engine. A project that someone else had sitting in their garage for years and just never got around to. It came to me with all the accessories including flywheel ,distributor, power steering pump and alternator along with the mounting brackets. Exhaust manifold and intake with carburetor was included as well. The only thing I was lacking was the 4.2 long block.
Recently I came across what was left of a rolled 96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic OBD2. I had a opportunity to purchase the motor before the rest of the vehicle was sent off to the scrap yard to be crushed. Knowing some of the hurdles I was going to cross from OBD1 to OBD2 and yet Limited to the knowledge of what parts are interchangeable and what are not, I was sure to grab everything.
The complete motor with all the accessories including power steering pump, alternator, brackets, distributor, wiring harness with the under hood fuse box. I was also sure to grab the 1996 PCM and the TCM from under the dash. The TCM was the only item that grabed from inside of the vehicle though. That could have been a mistake. I'm sure to find out going forward.
I hope that all made sense ,please let me know if you need more information. With all that said I was thinking it should be all Plug and Play with a few minor Fabrications.
This is my most recent event. I'm ready to stab this 4.0 with I'm sure to be the 4.2 flywheel attached. The flywheel bolts we're a bit of a challenge to come across at a reasonable price. I ended up using a GM part number but nevertheless I then came to realize the difference between the 4.2 flywheel and the 4.0 flex plate. The 4.2 flywheel has 3 sections of missing teeth for the sole purpose of the crank sensor to determine number 1 top dead center. The flexplate from the 4.0 with the same idea yet with a substantial difference in design. Attached to the flexplate is a solid ring with three sections that have four small cut-outs.
At this point I'm somewhat at a standstill. I'm not a rocket scientist but I'm pretty sure my combination is not going to work. The last thing that I want to do is drop this motor in only to find out I have to pull it back out. Lol
After hours of research I found the Masterminds behind the do's and don'ts here at this forum. Any help would be deeply appreciated. It would definitely save a lot of time in trial and error for sure. As far as I know I could have been going about this all the wrong way from the start. Originally I just wanted to use the 4.0 long block along with the 4.2 accessories and after some trial and error along with unnecessary gaskets, it proved to be not possible.
Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

20191125_095800_HDR.jpg

20191125_095740.jpg

20191127_103131.jpg

20191127_103209.jpg

20191127_103156.jpg

I don't think that setup will work.

People who are doing the 4.2 conversion are using the crank and pistons from the 4.2, not the entire long block itself. In fact, the 4.2 itself is an inferior engine compared to the 4.0, with the exception of the 4.2 bore. The head doesn't flow as good, and it doesn't put out as much power as a later 4.0.

So by putting the entire 4.2 engine in, you'd actually be taking a step backwards. What you want to do is use the 4.2 bottom end internals on your 4.0 block. This is how guys are punching out their 4.0s with more displacement, which will indeed equate to more power.

I encourage you to check out these threads:

Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Cylinder Block, Crankshaft, Connection Rod, and Camshaft Differences
Facts about the Jeep 4.0 cylinder head

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Forum ,from Hernando county Florida. I apologize in advance if I'm ( one of those guys) not in the correct sub-forum .
The subtitle seemed appropriate.
About a year ago I enquired a 1988 YJ. Manual transmission but no engine. A project that someone else had sitting in their garage for years and just never got around to. It came to me with all the accessories including flywheel ,distributor, power steering pump and alternator along with the mounting brackets. Exhaust manifold and intake with carburetor was included as well. The only thing I was lacking was the 4.2 long block.
Recently I came across what was left of a rolled 96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic OBD2. I had a opportunity to purchase the motor before the rest of the vehicle was sent off to the scrap yard to be crushed. Knowing some of the hurdles I was going to cross from OBD1 to OBD2 and yet Limited to the knowledge of what parts are interchangeable and what are not, I was sure to grab everything.
The complete motor with all the accessories including power steering pump, alternator, brackets, distributor, wiring harness with the under hood fuse box. I was also sure to grab the 1996 PCM and the TCM from under the dash. The TCM was the only item that grabed from inside of the vehicle though. That could have been a mistake. I'm sure to find out going forward.
I hope that all made sense ,please let me know if you need more information. With all that said I was thinking it should be all Plug and Play with a few minor Fabrications.
This is my most recent event. I'm ready to stab this 4.0 with I'm sure to be the 4.2 flywheel attached. The flywheel bolts we're a bit of a challenge to come across at a reasonable price. I ended up using a GM part number but nevertheless I then came to realize the difference between the 4.2 flywheel and the 4.0 flex plate. The 4.2 flywheel has 3 sections of missing teeth for the sole purpose of the crank sensor to determine number 1 top dead center. The flexplate from the 4.0 with the same idea yet with a substantial difference in design. Attached to the flexplate is a solid ring with three sections that have four small cut-outs.
At this point I'm somewhat at a standstill. I'm not a rocket scientist but I'm pretty sure my combination is not going to work. The last thing that I want to do is drop this motor in only to find out I have to pull it back out. Lol
After hours of research I found the Masterminds behind the do's and don'ts here at this forum. Any help would be deeply appreciated. It would definitely save a lot of time in trial and error for sure. As far as I know I could have been going about this all the wrong way from the start. Originally I just wanted to use the 4.0 long block along with the 4.2 accessories and after some trial and error along with unnecessary gaskets, it proved to be not possible.
Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

View attachment 126749

View attachment 126750

View attachment 126751

View attachment 126752

View attachment 126753
Okay NEW UPDATE. Boy do I feel dumb lol. When I originally looked at the rolled Jeep Cherokee I was merely looking at the wiring harness going into the firewall. Through the years they have changed substantially. At the time ,comparing the two wiring harnesses, they seemed to be almost identical for the exception of a few at the passenger side. After the Cherokee was already gone I was told it was a 96. I guess I never really questioned it but I was only assuming I was dealing with OBD2. I stand to be corrected thanks to Chris I appreciate the link. What I am actually dealing with is a 1993 4.0 OBD1. I did also go as far as looking at the part number for the PCM and confirmed it also is a 93.

Reactions: Chris
Okay NEW UPDATE. Boy do I feel dumb lol. When I originally looked at the rolled Jeep Cherokee I was merely looking at the wiring harness going into the firewall. Through the years they have changed substantially. At the time ,comparing the two wiring harnesses, they seemed to be almost identical for the exception of a few at the passenger side. After the Cherokee was already gone I was told it was a 96. I guess I never really questioned it but I was only assuming I was dealing with OBD2. I stand to be corrected thanks to Chris I appreciate the link. What I am actually dealing with is a 1993 4.0 OBD1. I did also go as far as looking at the part number for the PCM and confirmed it also is a 93.
At a better standpoint than what I originally was. So I'm actually still dealing with OBD1 and not OBD2. The new pilot bearing I installed fit perfectly in the back of the crank of the 93 4.0. I guess what I need to start looking into is what flywheels are available in a 93 for a manual transmission.

I installed a 4.0 into a CJ, I just put in an electric fuel pump back on the frame rail to draw from the tank and I reused the 4.2 intake and a modified BBD carburetor, It was a heap better than the 4.2 for power. you have to modify the intake and raise it up to get it to align with the ports. Otherwise it was just like reinstalling the 258, even my brackets and accessories fit. It was an early 4.0 and I put in a 7120 casting head that I did a home porting job on. Its doable with a little patience. If you want to stick with the 4.0 intake and FI, get the Mopar engine swap computer and harness, then the swap is easy. It is based on the 94-95 YJ PCM. Tim