4 cylinder vs straight 6

Greenmachine

TJ Enthusiast
My search for my next TJ made me realize how expensive these suckers are, especially in good condition. I notice the SE version is consistently less expensive with its 4 cylinder rather than the 6.

What are all your thoughts about the 4 cylinder vs the 6?

Reactions: TJ Starting
Depends on what you want to do with it. I’d buy one if the most I was planning are 33’s. But I’d regear it for sure, so figure that in the cost.

Swapping a engine is a painful and costly process. Very costly. Make sure you will be willing to live with your choice.

I suggest you drive both the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder.

My search for my next TJ made me realize how expensive these suckers are, especially in good condition. I notice the SE version is consistently less expensive with its 4 cylinder rather than the 6.

What are all your thoughts about the 4 cylinder vs the 6?
The 4.0 six cylinder was an option for the SE in '05 and '06, just so you know...

The 4 cylinder is great in town and off-road, as long as you never plan on taking it on the highway.

And if you do manage to get it on the highway... don't ever, ever, ever think you're going to pass anyone on the highway.

Another thing worth noting is that you can't get away with running large tires on the 4 cylinder models as easily. Put 35s on a 4 cylinder and you'll be one miserable SOB.

I used to own a Cherokee XJ with the same 4 cylinder that was in the Wrangler SEs. That thing was so anemic on power that for the life of me I could barely keep it at highway speeds. Never, ever, ever again...

But again, for in town and off-road only driving, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

If you're planning an LS or other engine swap either immediately or in the near future, and the 4cyl can be had for a great deal, then it may make sense. If you're looking at staying with stock size or slightly larger tires, and you want something fun to drive around town or take a casual drive through the country with the top down in (under 45-50mph ;)) then the 4cyl may again make sense. If you are planning on running larger tires or having a more off-road focused vehicle, well even the 6cyl can be troublesome in those scenarios and the 4cyl can be downright anemic when it comes to power. Sure re-gearing can help find some of that lost power in the driveline but as some people say "there's no replacement for displacement".

Just remember, there is a reason that the 4cyl TJs can be had relatively cheap when you find them. They tend to be extremely reliable engines but they're barely adequate in most scenarios.

Reactions: LeeH
Hmmm...TJ's expensive? Compared to some things they are.

Please refrain from purchasing a TJ SE. Worst thing on four wheels ever built. You'll hate it and no matter what you do to it, it'll treat you poorly and strand you constantly. Leave the four bangers, especially the five speeds, well enough alone.

Lol, SE's are special rigs for special circumstances and special people.

I would very much appreciate it if everyone would do their best to drive the price of SE's as low as possible as soon as possible. I'd like the spare parts.

Last edited:
If you know you'll be driving on the highway much, just know ahead of time that the four-banger would be a constant exercise in frustration. And its potential for better mpg is largely lost due to the need to have to drive it so much more aggressively to keep up with traffic

Reactions: KCsTJ

Please refrain from purchasing a TJ SE. Worst thing on four wheels ever built. You'll hate it and no matter what you do to it, it'll treat you poorly and strand you constantly. Leave the four bangers, especially the five speeds, well enough alone.

I would very much appreciate it if everyone would do their best to drive the price of SE's as low as possible as soon as possible. I'd like the spare parts.
I was waiting to see what creative input you'd have to share, You didn't disappoint! ;)

Reactions: StG58
I now have 1 of each so I'll chime in.
My 2.5 SE with 168k, 3.73 gears, 3 speed automatic runs great, and I use it every week servicing my pool route. It's perfect around FM roads with little traffic, it's also does well in city rush hour or downtown traffic.
I'll ^ what @Jerry Bransford said about highway driving. I get around that by only taking the 2 lane Hwy when im going with the wind! :)
My 4.0 is a 6 speed manual also with 3.73s. I love the 6 speed, you can't beat the torque and HP of the 4.0. I can drive it regardless of conditions.
And btw my 2.5 does great wheelin in the Texas hill country. :)
20180331_145448.jpg

I see no reason to purchase a 4 cylinder when the 6 cylinder is so readily available unless the price is really down there and you're planning on an LS swap in the very near future.

haha I love my 4cyl, don’t underestimate the 4 cats too much and yeah I am pretty special ! ;) think I’ve been lurking this site too much lately lol (not mad at you)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a new TJ purchase! I bit the bullet and ponied up for the 6. Its a 2004 X. I’m planning on using it as a daily and my commute to work is 1/2 interstate, 1/2 backroads, so after reading this I decided to get another 6 cylinder. My greenmachine can return to garage queen status. I’ll post pics soon, I pick it up tomorrow.

My second TJ which is a project, is a 99 Sahara, I got a deal on it because it’s a flood victim, PO got stuck in the Brazos river bottoms and the river got up before they could get it out, it was fully submerged for a few days.
Needless to say, they filed an insurance claim and it was totaled, no big deal to me, it’s has zero rust, not wheeled hard, just a good solid platform to build...
Just a thought, find something you like with a salvage title, or an unfinished project someone wants out from under, or as others have said a 2.5/2.4 TJ and do an LS swap...

Reactions: TJ Starting