4" lift and 35"s on a TJ

Mike Wood

Can you do a 4" lift and run 35's on a 2006 TJ? I currently have 3" lift and 33's and want to go up. My tire guy says I would need to go to 6" lift to run 35's on the TJ, would have to stick with 33's on a 4" lift. Yet in many forums I see 35's and 37's on 4" lifts. What gives?

With a 1.25" body lift it can be done with proper bump stops but you are limiting up travel a bit. The usual recommendation is 4" suspension and 1.25" body lift. Is that your TJ on 33's in the avatar pic? Those 33's look tight already.

Can you do a 4" lift and run 35's on a 2006 TJ? I currently have 3" lift and 33's and want to go up.

Which rear axle do you have? Do you have adjustable control arms, SYE, and a double cardan rear drive drive? How are your brakes? Track bars?

My tire guy says I would need to go to 6" lift to run 35's on the TJ, would have to stick with 33's on a 4" lift. Yet in many forums I see 35's and 37's on 4" lifts. What gives?

One of the goals when lifting is to at least maintain the factory suspension travels, most importantly the 4" of factory up travel. That requires a balance between lift height, tire size, shock sizing, and clearances. All of these will determine your bump stop extension.

The reason you see so many guys running 35-37s on too low of lifts is because they have severly compromised some aspect of the build.

Maintaining that minimum 4" of up travel is a good indicator that a build is on the right track, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
I just bought a 97 tj with a 4” lift and 35’s. It has the Ford rear end swap and is geared 4.56. I have no issues with travel so far. Pic is in my avatar. I can send you other pics of my suspension if you like. I just took it over to the guys at Absolute Off-road here in AZ for an inspection and they gave it the thumbs up. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlWrangler99
I just bought a 97 tj with a 4” lift and 35’s. It has the Ford rear end swap and is gears 4.56. I have no issues with travel so far. Pic is in my avatar. I can send you other pics of my suspension if you like. I just took it over to the guys at Absolute Off-road here in AZ for an inspection and they gave it the thumbs up. :)
Any issues with travel won't reveal themselves until you get into full hard bump or full articulation. Or, assuming that the previous owner correctly set the bump stops, you have less than the factory 4" of up travel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forgive my ignorance (this is my first non stock Jeep), when we say 4” of travel are meaning the distance from the top of the tire to the wheel well or something else? I’d like to check for my own curiosity.

Forgive my ignorance (this is my first non stock Jeep), when we say 4” of travel are meaning the distance from the top of the tire to the wheel well or something else? I’d like to check for my own curiosity.

A stock TJ has about 8" of total travel split 50/50. 4" up and 4" down. Up travel (from normal ride height) should be determined by the bump stop. Down travel (from normal ride height) is usually determined by the extended shock. The bump stop is supposed to be the first limit to up travel just before something crashes into something else. On a modified vehicle the bump stop may need to be extended in order to prevent the larger tire from hitting the fenders (not the flexible flares, keep going up), over-compressed shocks, steering/suspension components hitting each other, etc.... This prevents damage to the vehicle such as blowing up shocks or in extreme cases prevent s breaking the front track bar which will cause your steering to disappear.

To measure your up travel and assuming that your bumps are correctly extended, measure the space between the axle pad and the steel cup. When measuring, ignore the soft rubber jounce bumper, as this is designed to compress into the steel cup.

Here is a guide on how to set your bump stops.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-set-your-bump-stop-on-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2474/

This is a very important concept to understand when modifying your Jeep. Knowing how to cycle your suspension, check for clearances and correctly extend your bumps will teach you nearly everything you need to know about how your suspension works. Doing so will help you make intelligent decisions about your upgrades and modifications. There will be far fewer mysteries when it comes to fitment and interactions between components.

Last edited:
A stock TJ has about 8" of total travel split 50/50. 4" up and 4" down. Up travel (from normal ride height) should be determined by the bump stop. Down travel (from normal ride height) is usually determined by the extended shock. The bump stop is supposed to be the first limit to up travel just before something crashes into something else. On a modified vehicle the bump stop may need to be extended in order to prevent the larger tire from hitting the fenders (not the flexible flares), over-compressed shocks, steering/suspension components hitting each other, etc.... This prevents damage to the vehicle such as blowing up shocks or in extreme cases prevent s breaking the front track bar which will cause your steering to disappear.

To measure your up travel and assuming that your bumps are correctly extended, measure the space between the axle pad and the steel cup. When measuring, ignore the soft rubber jounce bumper, as this is designed to compress into the steel cup.

Here is a guide on how to set your bump stops.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-set-your-bump-stop-on-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2474/

This is a very important concept to understand when modifying your Jeep. Knowing how to cycle your suspension, check for clearances and correctly extend your bumps will teach you nearly everything you need to know about how your suspension works. Doing so will help you make intelligent decisions about your upgrades and modifications.

Thanks! I’ll take a look as soon as I get a chance. I just got it a week ago and have been going thru the list of to do’s. My wife has a stock 2011 jk that we bought about 4 years ago and we’ve been loving it for off road desert exploring. Very excited to have a second one in the family!

Reactions: jjvw
D5500ABC-49FB-4BB2-891C-3E149D484A14.jpeg
9E6F8252-5C79-4F8A-B1AB-279F2D1509B2.jpeg

So does this look right?

That's it! Assuming that your bumps are correct for your build, then 6" of up is a nice amount. Whoever extended the bumps did it the same way I did. Next find out how much droop you have. If you have 4-5" then you might have an overall good setup.

If you cycle your suspension as described in the link above, you can confirm that everything is good.

Reactions: Gambaholic
I have a 3”lift, and 1” body lift running 35s no problem. I know I had to go to a wider offset wheel , but it’s not bad. I do have fully adjustable control arms, and we made sure I don’t rub at full compression. I added a 2”extension to my bump stops. It seems to work good for me. Just a FYI... good luck! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 3”lift, and 1” body lift running 35s no problem. I know I had to go to a wider offset wheel , but it’s not bad. I do have fully adjustable control arms, and we made sure I don’t rub at full compression. I added a 2”extension to my bump stops. It seems to work good for me. Just a FYI... good luck! [emoji1303]

How much up travel do you have? What are the bump stops set for?

Up is 6 1/4” down is just under 5. I have a tummy tuck, so my rear axel had to be rolled back a bit for proper driveline alignment, but it seems to work great. I am looking for someone to relocate the lower spring perch. My rear springs are working fine, but I would like to straighten them out a bit.

I forgot about the stops... the stock bump stop is 1.5 inch. These are 3.5 so 2” of stop added... I replaced the stock ones with the daystar ones.

I forgot about the stops... the stock bump stop is 1.5 inch. These are 3.5 so 2” of stop added... I replaced the stock ones with the daystar ones.

The stock bump stop has no extension. The foam rubber jounce is designed to compress into the cup. That way the hits aren't as harsh.