157 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 4-Link Calculator (2007).xlsx
    79 KB · Views: 1,484
  • 4-Link Calculator with Suspension Travel (2007).xlsx
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,762
  • 4-Link Calculator with Suspension Travel (2003).xls
    200 KB · Views: 1,410
Reactions: mikalcarbine
Would be really interesting to see some numbers of “big name” suspensions brands to compare various parameters. Once I get the savvy mid arm ordered and installed I’d love to plug in those numbers!

I'm very curious about the Savvy mid arm numbers, I'm sure they're posted somewhere in the giant JF thread
You can be very interested right after you tell me exactly where your CoG is. Not a guess, not a number based on something someone said on the internet, but yours, measured, as precisely as you would do to plug in the suspension mount locations.
That is the only way the Savvy numbers will have any relevance whatsoever in a static situation. Of course, once the vehicle actually moves or changes attitude or speed, those numbers are garbage anyway.

Reactions: someguysjeep
You can be very interested right after you tell me exactly where your CoG is. Not a guess, not a number based on something someone said on the internet, but yours, measured, as precisely as you would do to plug in the suspension mount locations.
That is the only way the Savvy numbers will have any relevance whatsoever in a static situation. Of course, once the vehicle actually moves or changes attitude or speed, those numbers are garbage anyway.
You might also mention that COG will change based on how big your morning turd was too! :) Seriously though...COG is dependent on a loaded out rig, (I know you know this, @mrblaine ) so if you do get to a point where you take your rig to a scale and go through the necessary steps to figure out your 3 dimensional COG, make sure you are loaded as you would take the rig offroad. All spares present, recovery gear, emergency gear, everything. It doesn't take much variation in some of the calculator's numbers to generate some pretty wild swings in results.

How do suspension designers like Savvy take this into account? Do they use average figures or a realistic range of values?

Along these lines, how did you, @mrblaine, design the suspesion parameters (without excusing years of real life knowledge and experience based upon trial and error) to design your mid arm? Not asking for extreme details just curious as to how a setup is designed when there are countless variables (weight, speed of driving, angle of vehicle). Just curious to hear your thoughts!

Along these lines, how did you, @mrblaine, design the suspesion parameters (without excusing years of real life knowledge and experience based upon trial and error) to design your mid arm? Not asking for extreme details just curious as to how a setup is designed when there are countless variables (weight, speed of driving, angle of vehicle). Just curious to hear your thoughts!
I picked a common build height. I built a suspension. I tested it. I built it again. I tested it. I built it again. I tested it. I built it again. I tested it.
Each one showed me something I didn't like. I eliminated as many of those traits as I could and when I was done, it very much resembles the Savvy Mid arm.

Seems like

IIRC, @jjvw posted them in a discussion about a year ago...I can't find them for the life of me. Maybe he can do so again?
It was in a long arm thread from a couple years ago. The title might have Rough Country in it.