4 lo not locking in

David Overbay

TJ Enthusiast
So I went out for a drive today and come to a hill that was kinda icy and put the jeep in 4 low everything was going fine then I gave it a little gas and it kicked out of 4 low and wouldn't go back in but my 4 high worked never slipped or kicked out. What's the problem here? Also I tried it again a little later and it would stay in as long as it's not given gas.

I'm going to say that is may be a linkage adjustment issue as well.

I suggest checking it first and foremost before diving deeper into anything. Always try to eliminate the easiest scenario first.

There's a single bolt with a 1/2" head on it, circled below, that holds the linkage in adjustment. When it slips, the rod it holds pulls/slips out of adjustment. Loosen that bolt, slide the rod back in to adjust it, and once it's back in adjustment, tighten the snot out of that bolt. Easier done than described. :)

images-1.jpg

There's a single bolt with a 1/2" head on it, circled below, that holds the linkage in adjustment. When it slips, the rod it holds pulls/slips out of adjustment. Loosen that bolt, slide the rod back in to adjust it, and once it's back in adjustment, tighten the snot out of that bolt. Easier done than described. :)

View attachment 3087

Make sure you get pictures of the snot running out of that nut. :D:D:D