$4200 LJ (needs transmission)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure. I am hesitant to text because I cannot buy it. No room 😇

By the looks of the flares. I'd say alot of the interior must be sun damaged too. It obviously hasn't been garaged. Probably worth 4k though. Cheap way to get into an LJ I suppose.

Thanks for the lead! I contacted the seller and he is going to hold onto it until I get a chance to check it out this weekend.

It's an auto. The frame looks awesome according to pictures he sent me. Single owner with all the miles in San Antonio area.

Kind of a long distance for me but I think it'll be worth it, even after flying, shipping, a new tranny, and some TLC.

We'll see! Currently waiting for him to put in writing that he'll hold onto it for me, but I'm excited!

With a little TLC I think it would be worth the $4200 to get it back up and running.

Interesting! I'll see what that seller has to say. Sure would save on a transmission if it's in good shape.

Edit again: It is the 42RLE (or did he say 42RE?), rebuilt, with 35k 85k miles. Came off a 6-cyl Cherokee.

Edit for the third time: okay, I'm confused. Why did they make a 42RE and 42RLE _entirely_ different transmissions? Haha whoever is boss of the naming department must have been on vacation. Still trying to figure out from the seller if it's a 42RE or a 42RLE, if it came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Jeep Cherokee (aka Liberty).

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out from the seller if it's a 42RE or a 42RLE, if it came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Jeep Cherokee (aka Liberty).

Unfortunately this seller has been a little difficult to communicate with. He may prefer phone calls to texts but I prefer texting for precision, and it's been hard to get the answer in writing.

He said on the phone it came out of a 2004 Jeep Cherokee with a v6. That sounds like the Jeep Liberty which I think (I'm still learning!) would make it the 42RLE. But most people call that a Liberty, not a Cherokee. So when I showed him pictures of the Liberty vs Grand Cherokee he indicated the picture of the Grand Cherokee and said the transmission in the Wrangler and Cherokee are the same. But he pointed to the one with the 42RE. When I explained that and said I didn't think the 42RE would go in a Wrangler, he said he would install it for me if I wanted. When I said I appreciated the offer but I just needed to be 100% sure and asked again if it's a 42RE from a Grand Cherokee or a 42RLE from a Liberty, he went silent.

Is the 42RE even a bolt-in swap? And I'm not sure I'd want to swap in a transmission that's already got 85k miles.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this seller has been a little difficult to communicate with. He may prefer phone calls to texts but I prefer texting for precision, and it's been hard to get the answer in writing.

He said on the phone it came out of a 2004 Jeep Cherokee with a v6. That sounds like the Jeep Liberty which I think (I'm still learning!) would make it the 42RLE. But most people call that a Liberty, not a Cherokee. So when I showed him pictures of the Liberty vs Grand Cherokee he indicated the picture of the Grand Cherokee and said the transmission in the Wrangler and Cherokee are the same. But he pointed to the one with the 42RE. When I explained that and said I didn't think the 42RE would go in a Wrangler, he said he would install it for me if I wanted. When I said I appreciated the offer but I just needed to be 100% sure and asked again if it's a 42RE from a Grand Cherokee or a 42RLE from a Liberty, he went silent.

Is the 42RE even a bolt-in swap? And I'm not sure I'd want to swap in a transmission that's already got 85k miles.

I don't have an answer to your question. But just wanted to chime in on my dismay over people that won't text either. Some just aren't tech savvy enough to keep up with texting. But I hate it when they will only communicate by phone. And not email or text. For the very reasons you state. Wanting it in writing. Then there is no confusion when things go bad. There seems to be this naive assumption amongst those that won't text or email. That somehow it's easier to get scammed if you communicate that way. Which is ridiculous.

Those without computer or phone skills are falling further and further behind. I feel for some of them. Because I think they are just to old and stuck in their ways to grasp it. (I'm 55 so not picking on anyone here.) But then I look at my mother who is 76 and uses her computer and phone like a master. SO age isn't an excuse. My father on the other hand was the same age before he died a couple years ago. And he never grasped computer tech at all. He never texted. And barely if ever picked up his cell phone. He was just from a different time. And it totally overwhelmed him. So I see the other side as well. He swore he was going to take a class. But never did.

It makes me laugh every time I read a CL ad that says "NO TEXTING! PHONE CALLS ONLY!". As if that's going to save them from some scam.

So I see the other side as well.

I'm a programmer, so I'm probably on the extreme opposite side of where your dad was. My grandma sounds like your dad. She always says she has done fine without it so far, and she's right! Thanks for the perspective. I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt and give him a phone call in a little bit.

I'm a programmer, so I'm probably on the extreme opposite side of where your dad was. My grandma sounds like your dad. She always says she has done fine without it so far, and she's right! Thanks for the perspective. I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt and give him a phone call in a little bit.

It still pisses me off though. lol!!!! ;) I tried dragging my father into tech with every trick under the sun. Bought him every tech thing I could think of to help him more easily transfer into that world. Tablet, smart tv, netflix acct. Nothing worked. lmao.

Search for the NP 243J transfer case. The number sounds odd for Jeep. The only reason is does is my viscous coupling was giving out on my ZJ so I was researching replacement transfer cases for a while. I don't remember that one as an option and sold the ZJ instead of fixing it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lead! I contacted the seller and he is going to hold onto it until I get a chance to check it out this weekend.

It's an auto. The frame looks awesome according to pictures he sent me. Single owner with all the miles in San Antonio area.

Kind of a long distance for me but I think it'll be worth it, even after flying, shipping, a new tranny, and some TLC.

We'll see! Currently waiting for him to put in writing that he'll hold onto it for me, but I'm excited!

So... I flew down to SA on the 23rd and bought it!

My dad knows of a good transmission shop close to where my parents live in Kentucky, so I shipped it up to there and the transmission is being worked on. Probably won't be done until early next year.

I enjoyed San Antonio. After purchasing the Jeep I got lunch with the seller and with some of my wife's extended family. Then family showed me around downtown. Then it was back on the plane to fly back—an action packed day!

Can't wait to get it working! Besides the transmission: soft top windows are foggy, clear coat has crows feet, plastic trim is faded, and it needs other miscellaneous TLC. But I'm pumped!

Resized_20191119_173835.jpeg

Resized_20191118_094026.jpeg

Resized_20191118_094033_01.jpeg

Resized_20191118_094042.jpeg

Resized_20191118_100703.jpeg

Resized_20191118_100709.jpeg

Resized_20191118_100714.jpeg

IMG_20191123_104055.jpg

IMG_20191204_160540_01.jpg

Last edited:
Looks rad. Glad it worked out for you, sorry I wasn't able to catch up and help out. I hope the build goes well....keep us posted!

Reactions: thomat65
Status
Not open for further replies.