42RLE shift solenoids

nondem

TJ Enthusiast
I've put a few hundred miles on my new-to-me 03' Sahara since I got it. Mostly off-road but I did drive it to town a few times for fun. It took a few hundred miles for it to happen the first time but I've had the transmission "miss" the 2-3 shift a couple of times. When it happened the first time I let off the throttle and it bumped into 3rd no problem. I convinced myself it was a fluke due to me bumping the shifter or not having it exactly in the right notch. No check engine light - nothing else to cause concern. The tranny generally shifts perfectly - no slipping at all or any other oddities. Well, it happened a couple of more times since then separated by dozens of miles and a couple of weeks of sitting unused. I kept driving it but started suspecting my shift solenoids.
Last weekend just as I hit the pavement from some wheeling the passenger brake caliper started to seize. Within 5 minutes of my brake caliper seizing it really went haywire. Kept missing the 2-3 shift and seriously made me think I was going to be stranded. The check engine light came on...the whole bit. Doing the key-trick while waiting for my brakes to cool off I found a P0700 code. The check engine light stayed on but it returned to shifting perfectly(including overdrive) when I got on the pavement to scurry home w/my tail between my legs.
When I got home and connected a regular(generic) code-reader I got the P0733 code(3rd gear shift rpm) too.
So to the best of my interwebbes browsing ability it appears my solenoid-pack is failing. The transmission was rebuilt at AAMCO at 60k miles per the carfax report and it's just over twice that many miles now(130k-ish) Should I risk putting a new solenoid pack on it now myself or bite the bullet and get a rebuilt tranny? I can swap the transmission myself but certainly don't think I can rebuild it myself so I'll have to buy a rebuilt one($2k) if I go that route. Which will put my other upgrades off for a while. The Jeep hasn't been abused afaict. It seriously appears to have spent it whole life on pavement under adult control.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
The transmission control circuit is malfunctioning...
If the fluid level is good in the transmission and there are no leaks or kinks in the transmission fluid lines then the problem could be with the ECU communications to the transmission. This is a know problem posted by numerous other members.
Inspect the four 32 pin ECU harness connector pins and clips for greyish oxidation (oxidation can interrupt ECU signals to the transmission); if they look good then ensure you firmly snap the connectors into the ECU receptacles.
Contact @Wranglerfix who is the resident ECU expert and see what he recommends.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
@nondem The ‘03’s have a separate Ecm and tcm. Have you checked the wiring and connector coming from the tcm?

The 0700 is a generic, vanilla code and 0733 is where your issue lies. I would also check wiring and connections going to the shift solenoid. The connection on the driver’s side is easy whilst the passenger side behind the exhaust is a pain in the arse.

0733 lead back to:
  • Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid
  • Shift solenoids
  • Transmission mechanical problems
  • Transmission hydraulic control circuit

• I can also check your tcm if you send it in to me. You can call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further detail.

Thanks! I'll pull and inspect all of the connectors before going further. The fluid is new and again per the carfax it has been serviced regularly. If I find the connectors to be fine I'll go ahead and do the solenoids.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford