42RLE transmission acting goofy with P0700 code

oldditchdoctor

TJ Enthusiast
Sunday PM, on my way home from work, my transmission started slipping. Within a mile, or so, I noticed that the slipping was worse and that the transmission sounded like a power steering pump low on fluid. I managed to make it the last mile home, checked the fluid and it was clean, and full. I scanned the codes, P0700, and called a buddy that worked for Jeep.

He said to reset the PCM, I followed the instructions he gave. I did so and it still makes the noise, and slips. It isn’t stuck in 2nd gear, but it is slipping a lot!

I am thinking that he is correct in saying that the solenoid block is messing up. I have not had an issue at all, that I know of anyway, until Sunday!

Any ideas?

get a manual transmission

That’s not a helpful response.

Too much to swap, and add! If I had the ability, and a donor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re better off with an auto, they perform better in sticky situations off-road.

Having said that, what you’re describing sounds like a solenoid issue. The P0700 code is unfortuntely one of those codes that won’t get you anywhere by itself.

Reactions: jeepXcore
That’s not a helpful response.

You’re better off with an auto, they perform better in sticky situations off-road.

Having said that, what you’re describing sounds like a solenoid issue. The P0700 code is unfortuntely one of those codes that won’t get you anywhere by itself.

Thanks, I hope that the rest of the tranny is ok. If not, it is an expensive oops!

sorry i just like simple mechanical things to damn many electronic crap on jeeps now it like jeep is making them for mall crawling soccer moms and way to soft and comfortable and way to much electrical crap to fail with no way to fix that will leave you stranded and COST WAY TO MUCH TO FIX

Heck I wanna do a 4bt swap and get all of the electronic crap off of it! The cost, parts availability and all are stopping me. Lol
I agree with the “too much crap” thoughts. I hate all of the computers in them now. My ‘74 CJ5 is all computer free, and free range Jeep...

Heck I wanna do a 4bt swap and get all of the electronic crap off of it! The cost, parts availability and all are stopping me. Lol
I agree with the “too much crap” thoughts. I hate all of the computers in them now. My ‘74 CJ5 is all computer free, and free range Jeep...

Just out of curiousity, did you use the proper procedure for checking the transmission fluid level?

See here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...our-30rh-32rh-or-42rle-jeep-wrangler-tj.7901/

thinking i want an old cj engine to put in my tj and get rid of all the sensors and electronic CRAP

sorry i just like simple mechanical things to damn many electronic crap on jeeps now it like jeep is making them for mall crawling soccer moms and way to soft and comfortable and way to much electrical crap to fail with no way to fix that will leave you stranded and COST WAY TO MUCH TO FIX

No worries, I just didn’t know if maybe you were being a troll. Sounds like I was mistaken. You never know, since sometimes we get people who sign up as members just to troll others. My mistake!

Reactions: oldditchdoctor
What year is your TJ?

2003-2004 The TCM (transmission control module) is a separate part, on the driver's inside fender.
2005-2006 the TCM is integrated into the main PCM behind the battery.

On my 2004, It went into limp mode, and same P700 code. Turned out to be a bad TCM once identified. Easy 5 minute swap out on my 04.

Sounds weird but check your alternator.

I have seen trans codes and trans acting weird (including slipping and hunting for gears on startup) as the alternator starts to fail.

Next thing that happens will be the open field code for the alt.

When was the last time you checked the function of your alt?

Reactions: Bird
What ended up being the problem? I just had this same thing happen on my way home today.

What happened today, P0700, transmission slipping, or whining noise?

Also: Your profile is not filled out. If you have a 42RLE, there are variations from 2003-2006.

P0700 and P0750, transmission slipping out of gear and limp mode home. Checked and topped off fluid to be sure that wasn't it, cleared code, drove for 15 minutes and had the same thing happen. Also was downshifting hard after clearing the code.

Edit: 2005 LJ

4 Speed automatic transmission = electronic crap.

When you thought you’d heard it all...

Let me guess, you got rid of your fuel injection and installed a carburetor?