42RLE Transmission Fluid (Fill For Life?)

Fletch2

Hello,

I am taking my '06 TJ with auto transmission for service this week to have the tranny, differential and t-case fluids changed. I was reading my owner's manual and online about the Mopar ATF+4 fluid and apparently this fluid is considered a "Fill for Life" fluid by Chrysler. Until I bought my 2016 Ram 1500, I had not heard of a fill for life tranny fluid, but there is no recommended change interval for my truck. I just wouldn't have thought that a vehicle from 2006 would say the same. My TJ has 48,000 miles and I am the third owner, so I assume the fluid has not been changed. I read numerous posts on this forum where someone is changing their tranny fluid. So is this just individual preference or do you think it should be done? I have always considered the factory owner's manual to be the accurate source for maintenance schedules.

Opinions vary, Chrysler just wants you to change the filter and the fluid involved with that service. Do whatever you want, the herd often says flush the whole thing.

Mine is an ‘06 and I think my owners manual says to drain, refill and change filter at 60,000 under the “B” schedule and if you tow.

Be sure only ATF +4 is used.

I think my owners manual says to drain, refill and change filter at 60,000 under the “B” schedule and if you tow.

Be sure only ATF +4 is used.
Definitely not, there is no service procedure anywhere to drain the 42RLE. You are only supposed to replace fluid lost by removing the pan (which is a fraction of the total fluid in the transmission).

No fluid is lifetime fluid. Sure, it will last as long as most people own the vehicle, but to think any fluid would last a lifetime is silly. Change it for sure.

AB2BF941-228B-4C7E-B29C-F84C48410783.jpeg

57AC284A-3ADD-45D1-B10D-8945060086F9.jpeg

Definitely not, there is no service procedure anywhere to drain the 42RLE. You are only supposed to replace fluid lost by removing the pan (which is a fraction of the total fluid in the transmission).
That’s what I was saying.

Reactions: pagrey
Ok, so let me get your opinion because I'm debating if I even need to change the tranny fluid yet. I purchased my TJ almost a month ago from an older man and his wife, whom I felt to be honest. The Jeep only has 48,000 miles and the condition reflects the mileage. He stated that he had the transmission and other fluids changed at a local Chrysler Jeep dealer. I called the dealer and there was a recent service on the vehicle but they had no record that the tranny fluid, diff. fluids or T-case fluids were changed. So either he THOUGHT he had it done and didn't, or the dealership just didn't do it, or he had it done somewhere else and didn't recall that fact. So I don't know IF it has the original fluid or IF it has been changed by someone else and maybe they used the right fluid or maybe they didn't. When I check the fluid hot and with the engine running it is at the perfect level and is a clean, light pinkish color. The transmission is shifting smoothly.

I'm taking it to a reputable shop, my first time there, to have the differential and T-case services. Everything I can find about them is positive with great reviews. They specialize in Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge and Ram and have been in business for approximately 20 years. They will use a synthetic multi-vehicle transmission fluid that the service manager stated they've "used for years", drain and fill my tranny with a filter change.

Change the fluid or save the money and wait till the 60,000 mile mark?

Don't use a universal fluid! Don't use that shop for work on your 42RLE. Change the filter at a shop that deals with Jeeps or specializes in automatic transmissions, one that assures you they will only use ATF+4.

(they may well have meant ATF+4 but be sure)

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Any brand is fine, Chrysler licences ATF+4 specs to many companies like Valvoline and Walmart (proline).

It never says "multi-vehicle" or "universal" it always is labeled clearly ATF+4 and costs a ton more than the regular stuff.

15633066309580.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I change 2-3 quarts of ATF with every other oil change in my 2010 JK Rubi and 2016 JKU 75th Anniversary Edition, and ONLY OE Mopar ATF+4. I suck out via the dipstick tube, and replace what I took out + an ounce or 2, that “sticks around”. Fresh fluids are your engine‘s, Transmission’s, differential’s and transfer cases best friend. I don’t care how good the fluids look when I take them out.
every 10-15k - Differentials & Transfer Case drain & fill
every 4-5K engine oil & filter, quality synthetic and Mopar, K&N or high end purolator filter.
2-3 qts of ATF+4 every other oil change (10k miles), will change filter at 75k.
Air filter every 10k
Coolant flush every 40-50k or 3 years.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am taking my '06 TJ with auto transmission for service this week to have the tranny, differential and t-case fluids changed. I was reading my owner's manual and online about the Mopar ATF+4 fluid and apparently this fluid is considered a "Fill for Life" fluid by Chrysler. Until I bought my 2016 Ram 1500, I had not heard of a fill for life tranny fluid, but there is no recommended change interval for my truck. I just wouldn't have thought that a vehicle from 2006 would say the same. My TJ has 48,000 miles and I am the third owner, so I assume the fluid has not been changed. I read numerous posts on this forum where someone is changing their tranny fluid. So is this just individual preference or do you think it should be done? I have always considered the factory owner's manual to be the accurate source for maintenance schedules.

Since you're not sure of the vehicle's history, you should service everything.
It doesn't have to be all at once, but then you'll have a baseline to go forward.
If cost is an issue, learn to do it yourself. Most basic service items are very easy.

Reactions: MikeE024 and Irun
Since you're not sure of the vehicle's history, you should service everything.
It doesn't have to be all at once, but then you'll have a baseline to go forward.
If cost is an issue, learn to do it yourself. Most basic service items are very easy.

Amen!

Reactions: MikeE024