42RLE Transmission Help

Jeepownerprobs

Could use some help please
2006 LJ 137k miles. 42RLE Repaired normal stuff ( fuel pump, catalytics, a/c compressor and all lines). But, this week trans gets “stuck” in second and will overheat and go into limp home. Now, if I force it in first by shifting or I have stopped completely and then stomped it causing it to get into first, it will behave itself and downshift properly. Seems to happen in the first minute after starting. I have just dropped trans pan and changed filter. Replaced about 5 qts. I know this isn’t a true flush but I didn’t have the tool to undo the hose that goes into the trans cooler at the radiator. I’m afraid I need an official rebuild or buy reman and replace. So would a true flush help? Or anything else I can do that my help. I read these forums all the time and this is the first time I have posted so if it is a sorry post I’m sorry but I don’t have 2 grand today to fix it.

What do you mean "overheat"? The transmission is overheating (if so, how do you know it is?) or the engine is overheating?

Changing the fluid the way you're doing is more than enough, that's the method all of us use. I think you have a bigger issue though, which may be that the transmission needs a rebuild, or that something is going on such as a bad solenoid.

Have you scanned it with an OBDII scanner to see if you're throwing any codes?

It's also worth noting that heat is the number one enemy of automatic transmissions. If you plan on keeping it in the long run, do what a lot of us 42RLE owners have one and install a Derale transmission cooler.

Over heating trans. I only know this b/c cel came on and codes showed fuel injector prob and trans overheat. With further investigation injector prob was limp home mode being engaged. I disconnected battery to reset computer ( they wouldn’t reset codes at o’riellys) and performed the service I described (fluid and filter). By the way this is my daughters daily driver and when I drive it I can tell it’s ‘stuck’ in second and don’t drive it to overheat. Like I said I can ‘make ‘ it downshift into first and then it behaves till the next time I start it. If/when I rebuild it I want to spend to extra 300 and put that Derale cooler on. ( been spying it lately). I just want any other suggestions that may fix or delay a 1k plus expense.