42RLE transmission issue shifting from 2nd to 3rd

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
2004 Sahara 4.0l 42RLE Auto 199k miles

From gear shift 2 to 3 The rig acts like it can not decide to shift or not and lurches in power over and over again until something catches. I have a 2.5 in suspension lift with no SYE installed.

Is this a sign of the tranny going bad or something else?

Check the fluid to see if it smells or looks burned, and is at the proper level.

Likely a transmission issue, not something to do with the lift.

Reactions: Mcnenc1
I can all but guarantee you that at 200k miles that transmission is in need of a rebuild. Start with checking the fluid (with the vehicle running in park or neutral).

But 200k miles is a lot for an automatic. They don't tend to make it past 200k miles without a rebuild. What you're describing is a tell tale sign of slippage and a transmission going bad, I'd bet on it.

Reactions: Mcnenc1 and Web98
I can all but guarantee you that at 200k miles that transmission is in need of a rebuild. Start with checking the fluid (with the vehicle running in park or neutral).

But 200k miles is a lot for an automatic. They don't tend to make it past 200k miles without a rebuild. What you're describing is a tell tale sign of slippage and a transmission going bad, I'd bet on it.
Any idea to what something of a rebuild or new one would cost? And is a rebuild better than a newer part?

Not sure I haven’t tested that yet
It may help you short term to switch it off ,but be shopping for a shop or transmission.... even the mighty Ford E4 OD only has an expected service life of 175,000 miles , and it's a beast .

Any idea to what something of a rebuild or new one would cost? And is a rebuild better than a newer part?

A new 42RLE is around $1200-$1500 last time I looked, plus you should figure around $1000 for labor (give or take).

So a safe bet would be around $2500 to $3000 depending on the shop. Some will rebuild them, others will just swap in a remanufactured transmission. The end result is the same. Just make sure the shop doing the work (if they are rebuilding it) warranties it.

Alright so I’ve shopped a little and found three options and need help with just the options...

1. OEM swap for new tranny (Most expensive)
2. OEM swap from a salvaged TJ (Most inexpensive)
3. Basic rebuild of the original tranny.

With money out of the picture what would be the most advisable option for reliability. I would figure a brand new one however I’ve heard a basic rebuild at a reputable mechanic with a warranty is just as good??

(I know NOTHING about transmissions)

4. Remanufactured for just over $2000.00 plus core charge with an 18 month warranty. Bullripper

I don’t have any experience though, just seen some posts here about them. It’s an option.