48 Volt JL

Hahahaha! Have fun fixing that bullshit on the trail, seriously.

Man, it's true what they said, modern cars are simply not meant for the average DIY mechanic anymore. I'll bet those things are an absolute nightmare to work on / diagnose.

Gotta love this crap they keep adding to satisfy EPA regulations.

Makes me want to go out and buy a classic muscle car with a V8 and carbs 😆

Man, it's true what they said, modern cars are simply not meant for the average DIY mechanic anymore. I'll bet those things are an absolute nightmare to work on / diagnose.

For the owner, absolutely. I was with Toyota when the Prius first hit our shores here in 2000 and was hybrid certified until I left the industry around '05. Hybrids are typically very reliable systems, but not in the wheelhouse of your weekend DIYer. Tough to do your own wrenching when you need thousands of dollars worth of proprietary tools.

More proprietary, more complex, more expensive...the trend continues. Sigh.

For the owner, absolutely. I was with Toyota when the Prius first hit our shores here in 2000 and was hybrid certified until I left the industry around '05. Hybrids are typically very reliable systems, but not in the wheelhouse of your weekend DIYer. Tough to do your own wrenching when you need thousands of dollars worth of proprietary tools.

My thoughts exactly.

If you have the money to pay someone else to fix it, then it's no big deal. But for a recreational vehicle like a Jeep that I want to do as much maintenance on as I can myself, I would try and avoid as much "complication" as I can. This is of course one of the reasons the TJ is so ideal for a lot of us. It's modern enough to have features we want, but not so modern that you need tons of expensive equipment and training to work on it.

Now for a daily driver that I took to the dealer (or wherever else for maintenance), then I have no issue with stuff like this.

Reactions: dudehitt
I remember thinking that JKs were so high tech and complicated. With the amount of tech going into new vehicles, it won't be long before the JKs and inevitably JLs start looking as basic as a TJ or YJ does now.

Reactions: Chris