4HI and 4LO don't work

Jake kozlowski

TJ Enthusiast
Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage, AK, USA
2000 Jeep TJ
2.5L AX5
NP231J
Dana 30/35

On my commute to work today (2wd) I a feeling like I have never felt before. Like I hit a cinder block or something pretty hard, just a loud thud if that makes sense. Pulled over and investigated and found no issues, no leaks, and continued my commute.

Once I got to work I thought maybe I should check my transfer case. I shifted to 4Hi and the light illuminated. When I slowly started to let out the clutch there there was binding, and the only movement was slight body roll from the motor torquing. Same result when attempting reverse. The exact same results for 4Lo....

After these findings I put it back in 2WD and everything works like normal. I tried slow rolling and putting into 4HI and it wont go. Usually it's a smooth shift, so I don't want to force it.

I'm assuming that something inside is broken, Just looking for some insight on what to possibly expect.

Might just be easiest to plan on a reman. Sounds like a catastrophic failure. Could be a broken chain or something. Take a peek under the rig when you get a chance and check that the case isn't cracked.

Time for that Atlas case you always wanted...

If I suspected a transfer case issue I would probably be tempted to pull the front drive shaft just to make sure if something locks up things don't go crazy... I have known of it happening at 70 miles an hour... It isn't pretty.

Reactions: Steel City 06