4WD.com (not a great experience)

Pokahpolice

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
You all may want to steer clear of this company...at least for now. Not sure if it's just the Covid or if they are always like this. Their Facebook page is riddled with complaints from the past month. I was on hold for over an hour today trying to get a refund and find out why only half my order was received. I gave up at the 1hr 5min mark. I sent them 3 emails last week, no response. Sent them a FB message only to be told "We're very busy please call us". I was able to get through to a sales rep who couldn't help and told me "Yeah, our customer service is terrible, that's why you shouldn't order online". I ended up opening a ticket with Paypal.

image0.png

Places I've learned to stay away from in my experience owning Jeeps:
  • 4WD.com
  • 4 Wheel Parts
  • Morris4x4
  • Quadratec
If I want to order specific things I always get them directly from the vendor, Northridge, or Amazon.

lesson learned I guess. Too bad really. 4wd.com has a great website and selection. Just amazing how terrible their CS is.

Reactions: Chris
One of their distribution warehouses is about 45 minutes from me, so it's nice if I want something that's in-stock because they actually have a will-call area. Morris4x4 burned me on my first order so never again with them. Have ordered a few small items from Quadratec and no issues, might have been lucky!

• Wow
Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
I used to go there for tires, I was in there for a replacement irok (tire ended up having factory defect) and the sales person told me they had none in stock and it would take 4 weeks min to get one in. I informed him there was one on there display. He told me it was a radial not bias. I told him it was bias, bla bla bla I asked him to walk with me the 20 feet to look at it and he was adamant he was correct. So I ordered my tire and left. About 10 min after I got home I got a call from a different salesperson saying that they had one there on display and I could come get it.
Last time I spent any money there. I now go to a local smaller shop (I like local smaller shops for most of my stuff anyways) for most of my parts, the only time I don’t spend money there is when he tells me to go to the factory direct because I’ll spend more with shipping going through him.

• Wow
Reactions: JMT
I used to go there for tires, I was in there for a replacement irok (tire ended up having factory defect) and the sales person told me they had none in stock and it would take 4 weeks min to get one in. I informed him there was one on there display. He told me it was a radial not bias. I told him it was bias, bla bla bla I asked him to walk with me the 20 feet to look at it and he was adamant he was correct. So I ordered my tire and left. About 10 min after I got home I got a call from a different salesperson saying that they had one there on display and I could come get it.
Last time I spent any money there. I now go to a local smaller shop (I like local smaller shops for most of my stuff anyways) for most of my parts, the only time I don’t spend money there is when he tells me to go to the factory direct because I’ll spend more with shipping going through him.
Well, that’s the downside of living in the woods. I don’t have the option of buying locally...especially anyone holding stock items. Last time I was in LA I spent over an hour in the 4wd.com store. I was impressed and the guys in there were great to talk with. That’s why I decided to give them my business.

Both 4wd.com and 4wheelparts.com are TAP Worldwide, LLC or http://transamericanautoparts.com/

As far as the call center or the online store it's all probably the same thing. As long as you know what you are getting into they have good sale prices.

Morris listed a good price online then simply canceled my order saying it was out of stock. I don't even check them anymore.

Quadratec has always been great for me but if I can go vendor direct I do that first, same with anything really.

Wow, I knew they were both owned by the same corporation, but had no idea that Transamerican also owned ProComp and Smittybilt, and that Transamerican is owned by Polaris.

Wow, wish I knew that prior to this. I've had about the same experience with Smittybilt Depot in the past.

Northridge is my preferred also, but I have never had any issues with 4wd in the past, but admittedly, I haven't bought anything from them an a couple of years.

Also just to throw more in there. I buy a lot from Summit Racing, it is hit and miss for pricing, but they are as good as amazon for CS and returns. Usually worth while to check out for some parts, but only get free shipping for over 99 dollars, but seriously when are we ordering something online cheaper than 99 for our TJ's?

Reactions: JMT
So you're frustrated with a company thats operating minimally during this "virus"? By no means defending poor business habits, but people complaining about the same thing, for the last month, is kind of crazy. Clearly they're not functioning at full ability. This isn't Morris4x4 that's been shit for years

So you're frustrated with a company thats operating minimally during this "virus"? By no means defending poor business habits, but people complaining about the same thing, for the last month, is kind of crazy. Clearly they're not functioning at full ability. This isn't Morris4x4 that's been shit for years

This isn't just poor customer service...it's non-existent. I've been trying to reach them for over a week. They don't answer the phone, return emails, or FB messages. I've called 4 times and waited on hold for over 4 hours this week alone. I've emailed them 5 times. I've FB messaged them 9 times with 1 response asking for the order number. At what point does it turn from bad customer service to stealing my money? Additionally, I started my statement with exactly that...
You all may want to steer clear of this company...at least for now. Not sure if it's just the Covid or if they are always like this. Their Facebook page is riddled with complaints from the past month.

They owe me over $800. You can't take someone's money and simply not provide the product that was purchased...regardless of the "state" of your company.

• Angry
Reactions: wyorob and Feralkid

If that's the case they could put a message up on their website indicating the current status. So expectations match reality.

This isn't just poor customer service...it's non-existent. I've been trying to reach them for over a week. They don't answer the phone, return emails, or FB messages. I've called 4 times and waited on hold for over 4 hours this week alone. I've emailed them 5 times. I've FB messaged them 9 times with 1 response asking for the order number. At what point does it turn from bad customer service to stealing my money? Additionally, I started my statement with exactly that...

They owe me over $800. You can't take someone's money and simply not provide the product that was purchased...regardless of the "state" of your company.

I would start a charge back. Extremely easy if you use Paypal, but there is only a certain amount of time to start or your out. I ordered some Locking hubs from a company, and they took my money but never gave me the parts. I think there was like a 3 month window to complain. I went to the BBB and found complaints of the same thing for the same part I ordered. I tried to contact him and he would never answer the phone but sometimes would reply to emails, and say "They are in the mail!" but could never come up with a tracking number. Paypal made a phone call and the money was back in my account with in a couple of days. They do want you to try, and work it out for a couple of weeks, but if you can't get a hold of them and then they can't they will give you your money back, then you can steer clear.

I agree, I would rather pay more for honest customer service and quality parts. Good luck to you. I understand your frustration because I was there myself. And just for story sake my locking hubs were like $1700, and I got my money back no worries.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
Update: from FB reply at 12:07pm EST today..."Hi Bruce, your order has shipped and should be there shortly."

🤬🤬🤬 I can't even understand how that's a reply to me explaining that they owe me an $800 refund for a cancelled order on 4/28 and begging them to call me! I feel like I'm speaking a different language.