4WD.com?

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I don't see them come up too often, does anyone know if they are a reliable online retailer? Concerned with a part that I ordered from them that showes it being "in stock", when everyone else is backordered.

I've been bitten recently by sites like that, so I'm curious if these fuys actually maintain stock.

Reactions: Reign Mack
I’ve placed an order with them a while back online and got an immediate response it was on back order. It was for my xj though. I canceled
Edit
* Whoops nope I ordered through some other site. I get the 4wd magazines but they seem to be more JK bolt on stuff

Reactions: jeep_boss
I've noticed that very few sites actually have an accurate "in stock" indicator aside from Amazon. I can't tell you how many times I've ordered something from Quadratec or 4WD.com (among others) that said "in stock", only to get notified an hour after placing the order that it was backordered.

I can almost guarantee you that if everyone else is backordered, 4WD.com is as well. Most of these places pull from the same major warehouses across the U.S., so when one person is out of inventory, so is the other person.

This is one reason I try to get as much as I can from Amazon, just because if they say it's in stock and fulfilled by Amazon, you don't have anything to worry about. Of course they don't sell everything, so I get why you'd have to find some stuff from other places.

I used them back in 2015 through their ebay account to import 5 wheels, they used the international shipping programme, didnt have any issues with them at the time, they were fast to respond to any questions. back orders are tricky with certain retailers because I have had some take 7 days to fullful them and others where I have had to cancel after a month of waiting, it is anoying when they display as in stock though and still have it on display as instock on their main stie after putting you on back order, not sure if half of them are doing it to get the sale or simply not keeping their sites updated,

Don't know about in the US but in Canada most retailers get their parts from Trans America, who just happens to be owned by 4 wheel parts. Up here if no one else can get it then they sure can't because they are usually the source.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

This is one reason I try to get as much as I can from Amazon, just because if they say it's in stock and fulfilled by Amazon, you don't have anything to worry about. Of course they don't sell everything, so I get why you'd have to find some stuff from other places.
That isn't actually true of everything on Amazon. Only the things that are Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) are actually (99.999% of the time) in stock.

Recently, I dealt with that when I ordered a set if RGA rear axle shafts.. the Amazon seller was a drop ship reseller, both his Amazon listing and his actual website showed in stock, but when I contacted him I found out what his sales angle was, then notified him that RGA was backordered. He thanked me and said he would pull his listings from Amazon, eBay, and update his website's inventory.

I have had bad luck even with FBA items. Their inventory system can have severe latency synchonizing across the backend, usually more so around the holidays, but I'm like the edge case nowadays - making up part of that 0.001% :(

I use 4wd .com for quite a bit. They have good prices, and in my experience, customer service is very good. If you have any doubt, pick up the phone and call.
This is what I've done with 4wd and they have always been able to tell me if its a drop ship item and if its actually in stock. If you're uncertain give them a ring.

4WD.com is one of the many companies under the Transamerican Autoparts (TAP Automotive Holdings, LLC).
Aside fro the list shows in the pic below the also own Poison Spyder Customs
https://tawallaccess.com/2015/01/30...nounces-acquisition-of-poison-spyder-customs/

trans.jpg

Last edited:
That isn't actually true of everything on Amazon. Only the things that are Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) are actually (99.999% of the time) in stock.

Recently, I dealt with that when I ordered a set if RGA rear axle shafts.. the Amazon seller was a drop ship reseller, both his Amazon listing and his actual website showed in stock, but when I contacted him I found out what his sales angle was, then notified him that RGA was backordered. He thanked me and said he would pull his listings from Amazon, eBay, and update his website's inventory.

I have had bad luck even with FBA items. Their inventory system can have severe latency synchonizing across the backend, usually more so around the holidays, but I'm like the edge case nowadays - making up part of that 0.001% :(

Yes, that's what I meant to say though. The things fulfilled by Amazon are already in stock if they say they are.

Reactions: jeep_boss and MikeM
I've used 4wd.com a few times. Ordered a set of KO2s and they gave me a big discount on the tire warranties after the purchase. Great customer service in my handful of purchases.

4wd.com become the crown jewel of Transamerica corp. All is web market n this days...
They are closing the 4WD hardware stores and directing all their numbers to the 4WD.com center. They are not to bad, usually I do order on 4WP and in two days are in home. Especially the Transamerica brands. They are always on stock.

Now, I stop supporting this big moguls. I do have many small shops that sold parts at competitive prices around plus I wheel with few of the owners. Sometimes feel good support our local business.

4WD.com is one of the many companies under the Transamerican Autoparts (TAP Automotive Holdings, LLC).
Aside fro the list shows in the pic below the also own Poison Spyder Customs
https://tawallaccess.com/2015/01/30...nounces-acquisition-of-poison-spyder-customs/

View attachment 37171
I didn't realize they were part of that monster conglomerate. Nonetheless, they did in fact ship it out to me today. Sent out from the other side of my state (Spokane) so I'll have it tomorrow.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I didn't realize they were part of that monster conglomerate. Nonetheless, they did in fact ship it out to me today. Sent out from the other side of my state (Spokane) so I'll have it tomorrow.

I have been to this shop personally. So they are some big conglomerate owned, but believe me the people working there are Jeep people with Jeeps and they are working local people. I won't just discount that fact. They are working and if owned by some big company so be it. They are nice folks. Are they as knowledgeable as I want? No, but not many are to be honest. My best friend is a very smart mechanic that has several employees. I am lucky, but still buy some things from 4WD in OH. They are close and nice folks. People need jobs and they are local to me.

Reactions: RussTJ
I have been to this shop personally. So they are some big conglomerate owned, but believe me the people working there are Jeep people with Jeeps and they are working local people. I won't just discount that fact. They are working and if owned by some big company so be it. They are nice folks. Are they as knowledgeable as I want? No, but not many are to be honest. My best friend is a very smart mechanic that has several employees. I am lucky, but still buy some things from 4WD in OH. They are close and nice folks. People need jobs and they are local to me.
Don't get me wrong - if I need a part and the big guys have it, I will gladly give them my money. I don't have a problem with that at all - it is basic supply and demand.

You are also fortunate to have a shop that is local to you, I have a mom amd pop shop 40 mins away, but they got out of the Jeep specialty arena and cater towards lifting Toyotas and selling vehicle recovery equipment. Great people, very down to earth and very knowledgable. They also love my TJR, but they so not see them much anymore.

There are 4WP stores an hour and a half north and south from me. Both stores have done me wrong, and every employee that I have interfaced with at each location are nincompoops. I bought a Rigid Industries flashlight there not long ago, while I was there picking up Lube Lockers - against my personal beliefs in doing any business with them. I'm not against the corporate chain per se, it is personal with those particular stores.

Don't get me wrong - if I need a part and the big guys have it, I will gladly give them my money. I don't have a problem with that at all - it is basic supply and demand.

You are also fortunate to have a shop that is local to you, I have a mom amd pop shop 40 mins away, but they got out of the Jeep specialty arena and cater towards lifting Toyotas and selling vehicle recovery equipment. Great people, very down to earth and very knowledgable. They also love my TJR, but they so not see them much anymore.

There are 4WP stores an hour and a half north and south from me. Both stores have done me wrong, and every employee that I have interfaced with at each location are nincompoops. I bought a Rigid Industries flashlight there not long ago, while I was there picking up Lube Lockers - against my personal beliefs in doing any business with them. I'm not against the corporate chain per se, it is personal with those particular stores.

Yeah, I learned something from this thread. I always thought 4WD.com (4 wheel drive hardware) was some little shop in Columbiana, Ohio, but I guess the conglomerate owns a pile of different shops that would appear as competitors, including 4 wheel drive parts which as several locations. It is a little disappointing, but it is the way things have become.

Ah well, my parts are coming from all over the place this time around and quite a bit from Mopar.

I've bought several items from them, they had the best price on a trektop and OME HD kit with the various webcodes. They're pretty aggressive in targeted email marketing, I get emails weekly on various flash sales. Shipping has always been quick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They're pretty aggressive in targeted email marketing, I get emails weekly on various flash sales. Shipping has always been quick.
Yep, that's the nature of the beast these days - they have optimized the post sales channels, and have all gone as far as to send me catalogues that are catered to TJ's/LJ's.

Very efficient from a sales operations standpoint.

I ordered from 4WD a few months ago and the part was backordered for months, despite showing in stock. I ordered the same thing from Quadratec instead and didn't have any issues. Customer service from 4WD is good through (they referred me to Quadratec, lol).