4WD front end noise

JC97

As my first post I'll start with a hello all around and thanks for all the help this forum has given me through purchasing my first TJ. New as of January something.
As for the post, I've researched far and wide, and come up with a potential u-joint issue. But to be sure I thought I'd ask where to start looking for the source of this noise.
The short: first snow, decided to try the 4hi, which is a world of difference on our undermaintained steep roads. But there seems to be a creaking/groaning when i am NOT on the gas, decelerating in gear. I believe its there whilst steering sometimes as well but I'll have to take her out again today and confirm that. (Pretty sure the 31s rub at near full lock aswell)
Where do i start, u joint slop? Low diff fluid?
The long: Shes got 322000kms and is almost 100% completely factory. From the clutch to the drum brake shoes, the waterpump (scary), nearly everything, so some stuff is definitely on the skin of its teeth at this point. the guys wife i got it from drove it intensely delicately. What he has replaced has been very minor.
I'm aware the cooling system is in need of a replacement so im hoping to deal with this issue at the same time.
Have not tried 4lo to detect noise. There is no noise at all in 2wd.