4WD light comes on with LED headlights and high beam indicator delay

BlueRidge304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
These new LED headlights are amazingly bright and a huge improvement over the Wagner sealed beams I had before. I am experiencing a couple of issues however:

1. When the brights are turned on, the 4WD light also comes on (Jeep is not in 4WD).
2. When the brights are turned off, the bright indicator has a bit of a delay (~2 seconds) when going out, not instantly off like with the Wagners. The bright lights themselves turn off immediately, as demonstrated in the video. It's also interesting that when I use the 'flash to pass' feature, the bright light indicator goes out instantly after releasing the lever.

These LEDs installed perfectly, no adapters needed, and I had no problems other than what I mentioned above.
A note on my 4WD light...it's always on (even when not in 4WD). I think this is due to the 241 transfer case swap and a new switch never being installed.
Hopefully the video will do a better job explaining than I can. Any ideas?

This is bizarre... never seen anything like this before... seriously.

I have run the Truck-Lite LED Headlights, the JW Speaker knockoffs, and finally the Vision X Vortex LED headlights, and none of them have ever done this.

There is no reason they should do this either.

The 4WD light has to be unrelated, since that is on a different circuit from the headlights entirely I believe.

Adding a bit of an embarrassing update.
After my LED headlight install, I was so excited to try them that I was performing my tests with the ignition OFF :imwithstupid:. With the ignition ON the lights function normally and the 4WD indicator does not go on & off. I still have a slight delay with the high-beam dash indicator going out when clicking the brights off (brights themselves go out instantly like they should). The brights as well as the high-beam dash indicator both come on instantly when clicking the brights on. So the delay is only when clicking them off and only with the indicator going out. Maybe it has something to do with LEDs and non LEDs being combined on the same circuit? (my parking lamps are non LED).

Reactions: Chris
I don't have that delay with my LED headlights, but since it all works as it should, I'm not sure I would worry about it personally!