5 speed with slight knock, regardless of clutch position - in 2wd only

vintage_mpg

So our relatively new-to-us '97 TJ revealed a sketchy sound this afternoon for the very first time....

It was warmed up after a short drive, and I started to hear a slight knock coming from what I believe to be to top of the 5-speed tranny.

I notice it in neutral, whether or not I'm on the clutch pedal. Makes no difference.

What does make a difference, however, is shifting the transfer case into 4wd. Once I do that, the noise goes away. Weird.

Furthermore, at just about any speed higher than about 3-5 mph, the sounds stops.

Any idea what that might be? Something major?

The tranny shifts in/out of all the gears very well. No issues whatsoever, shifting up or down.

It's a 2.5L 4-cyl, with roughly 132k miles. Doesn't appear to have been abused at all - but I really don't know. It's over 20 years old at this point.

Any ideas as to where to start digging?

Any and all help is gratefully appreciated!

Last edited:
It sounds more like the transfer than the trans. If it was the trans then transfer position would not matter. If you want to, try putting a socket or wrench on the mounting bolts. To make noise they would need to be loose. Shifter tower, trans-transfer trans bushing, skid plate etc.
Check to see if it could be the transfer shift linkage that is causing the noise. It is located right side, along trans/transfer in the tunnel that rattling around could be it too.

Reactions: Steel City 06
It sounds more like the transfer than the trans. If it was the trans then transfer position would not matter. If you want to, try putting a socket or wrench on the mounting bolts. To make noise they would need to be loose. Shifter tower, trans-transfer trans bushing, skid plate etc.
Check to see if it could be the transfer shift linkage that is causing the noise. It is located right side, along trans/transfer in the tunnel that rattling around could be it too.

Right on - I'll check that out today.

It doesn't sound like much of a rattle, but more of a knock. Has that internal, gutteral sound, as opposed to a metallic rattle. That makes sense about it being transfer case instead of the transmission, especially since it is changed with the transfer engagement.

I'll let you know what I find! Thanks for the suggestions!