5 wheel rotation, is it worth it?

I used to run 4 33x12.50x15 with a 33x9.50x15 for a spare, when I needed to use it I couldn't tell it was there but particularly when going off road I always like to carry a full size spare.

Off topic: We have the strangest rule regarding the spare tire in australia...
You are not required by law to carry a spare but If you do, it must be the identical size and tread pattern unless it's OEM

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember when you didn't change direction on radial tires. This is no longer supposed to be the case but because I've been doing it for so long I still only swap front to back. I don't rotate in the spare, but if I have a posi I make sure the spare is the same size as the the other tires so if I put it on the back it won't eat the clutches. If it is not, I will only put it on the front. This creates some pretty crappy handling, but will get me on the road (or trail) again.

Reactions: Wombat
I don't rotate in the spare
If your TJ is a daily, I think it is worth rotating the spare, particularly if you don't use a spare tire cover to shut out the UV and even if you do a tire comes with a DOT manufacture date stamped into it and once its over five years old it's not roadworthy here in AU and needs to be replaced. A tire fitter wont even fit a tire that's over five years old here in AU and that's a good thing, I've seen too many disintegrate from age, It's common over here to see trailers stranded because they didn't pay attention to the age of the tires.

We all know running oversized tires exasperates the effects of poor handling but coupled with old or worn out tires posses a big risk so you might as well get some use out of the spare that you should be getting rid of once it's past its use by date.

Reactions: hardtailpan
If your TJ is a daily, I think it is worth rotating the spare, particularly if you don't use a spare tire cover to shut out the UV and even if you do a tire comes with a DOT manufacture date stamped into it and once its over five years old it's not roadworthy here in AU and needs to be replaced. A tire fitter wont even fit a tire that's over five years old here in AU and that's a good thing, I've seen too many disintegrate from age, It's common over here to see trailers stranded because they didn't pay attention to the age of the tires.

We all know running oversized tires exasperates the effects of poor handling but coupled with old or worn out tires posses a big risk so you might as well get some use out of the spare that you should be getting rid of once it's past its use by date.
Yeah, I know all about the date codes and UV issues. I have a motorhome as well which its even a bigger issue for as it can sit for long stretches in the sun without moving. I keep the spare covered so UV doesn't kill it. I look at the spare as more of something to get me off the road so I don't worry about it as much. Also, as you point out, my TJ isn't my daily, but then again, I don't rotate the spare on my daily either. I don't know if it's a thing in AU, but we have (or at least used to have, not sure about currently) these little donut spare tires which are limited to about 40mph. I'd rather have a full size older spare than one of those.

I don't know if a tire place in the US would fit a tire over 5 years in the US or not, but my guess is the independent shops probably would. That being said, I would never install tires to run that are over 5 years old so it's not something I'd run into. Some countries, Germany for one, are very particular about tires which makes sense as they have stretches of road with no speed limit. They take it very seriously there.

As for trailers, yeah, that happens a lot here too, and fairly often.

Don't take this as minimizing your comments, everything you said is spot on. This is just what I do and the risks I'm willing to take.

Once a yr I have the tire shop rotate the tires so they can balance them, otherwise I do them myself. If anything just to check things out. I plan on doing them myself until I am to damn old to lift a 35. Which is getting there..

I don't know if it's a thing in AU, but we have (or at least used to have, not sure about currently) these little donut spare tires which are limited to about 40mph. I'd rather have a full size older spare than one of those.
I missed the bit about the "little donut spare" and I know it's a late post but I wanted to respond. Yes! they are a thing here and becoming commonplace but they come with more issues than running 35's on a TJ!
Well, not quite but reality is...

The humble spare tire that was simple, practical and convenient has become complicated, potentially hazardous and unlawful.

Traffic authorities (in AU), say there is no legal requirement for car makers to provide spares, so if your driving a car with no spare and get a flat in a peak traffic area you wait hours for roadside assist.

Then you have the manufacturers that say they are under pressure by consumers to provide a spare but the safety issues - as you well point out - related to driving on a wheelbarrow tire have been in the foreground recently with our traffic authorities because it's unlawful for a car to run on a tyre of a different width, tread or diameter from the other three wheels attracting a fine and or defect notice.

A full-sized spare is often part of the rear crush system on many cars so eliminating it raises safety issues.

Insurance companies can avoid a claim if the vehicle is outside state laws so don't have a mishap if you need to fit one, that's an issue.

There was a Honda Civic that was tested with a donut spare and the speedometer error was out 10 percent rendering it unroadworthy in my state.

Storing the flat full sized tyre In some sports cars once the temporary spare has been fitted provides interesting problem solving skills - you've picked up your girlfriend, got a puncher, you put on the donut but the full size flat won't fit in the boot so you're going to find out if she loves you when you ask her to nurse your dirty old flat tire all the way home, Oh, and don't forget to disable the airbag because that could get seriously hazardous, better call Roadside assistance!

The percentage of drivers that can't or won't change a tire is so high and growing quickly - when the cupcake generation don't realise how easy it is to just fix it and get on your way instead of calling out roadside assist - that before long manufacturas will lose the spare all together in favor of more trunk space and fuel savings.

Although none of this affects me while I drive a TJ, I get the feeling that it's going to present the opportunity in the not too distant future to again utter the phrase "This wasn't never a problem with my generation".

Reactions: hardtailpan
I missed the bit about the "little donut spare" and I know it's a late post but I wanted to respond. Yes! they are a thing here and becoming commonplace but they come with more issues than running 35's on a TJ!
Well, not quite but reality is...

The humble spare tire that was simple, practical and convenient has become complicated, potentially hazardous and unlawful.

Traffic authorities (in AU), say there is no legal requirement for car makers to provide spares, so if your driving a car with no spare and get a flat in a peak traffic area you wait hours for roadside assist.

Then you have the manufacturers that say they are under pressure by consumers to provide a spare but the safety issues - as you well point out - related to driving on a wheelbarrow tire have been in the foreground recently with our traffic authorities because it's unlawful for a car to run on a tyre of a different width, tread or diameter from the other three wheels attracting a fine and or defect notice.

A full-sized spare is often part of the rear crush system on many cars so eliminating it raises safety issues.

Insurance companies can avoid a claim if the vehicle is outside state laws so don't have a mishap if you need to fit one, that's an issue.

There was a Honda Civic that was tested with a donut spare and the speedometer error was out 10 percent rendering it unroadworthy in my state.

Storing the flat full sized tyre In some sports cars once the temporary spare has been fitted provides interesting problem solving skills - you've picked up your girlfriend, got a puncher, you put on the donut but the full size flat won't fit in the boot so you're going to find out if she loves you when you ask her to nurse your dirty old flat tire all the way home, Oh, and don't forget to disable the airbag because that could get seriously hazardous, better call Roadside assistance!

The percentage of drivers that can't or won't change a tire is so high and growing quickly - when the cupcake generation don't realise how easy it is to just fix it and get on your way instead of calling out roadside assist - that before long manufacturas will lose the spare all together in favor of more trunk space and fuel savings.

Although none of this affects me while I drive a TJ, I get the feeling that it's going to present the opportunity in the not too distant future to again utter the phrase "This wasn't never a problem with my generation".
Yup, you and I are on the same page. Who knows what will happen. Maybe those "runflat" tires will become federally mandated in the states, or as a required option for manufacturers who don't want to supply a spare. I've used those little donut spares in a pinch when there was no other option. Good enough to limp you to where you are going, but ya gotta be careful. This comes back to knowing and understanding the risk you are taking. It always amazes me how many people survive on ignorance and luck.

Ugh, I hate making decisions. LOL

Related question, if I got new wheels/tires I'd sell what I've got. Which are 30x9.5 General Grabbers that were brand new a year ago, have maybe 5k miles on them. I didn't buy them, bought the TJ and that's what it came with. Spare is a matching OEM wheel, but not a matching tire. It's a Wrangler tire, same size at least.

What do you think I could get for the full set?

It's these wheels.

View attachment 199791
Around 500-600 especially if the wheels are good

4abddb93b3b631ddcec90abf1ad2a9e3.jpg

Around 500-600 especially if the wheels are good

Oh wow, nice. I may look into upgrading anyway then. The wheels on mine are so nice I suspect they might have been new as well. If the backspacing was right for wider tires I would just run them. I don't really care for spacers, would rather have the right wheels.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions. I think I'm going to stay with my original plan for a matching spare. Kinda like these wheels, if I'm buying new.

Random pic pulled from internet, mine is Khaki metallic.

fybr2011-3.jpg

Oh wow, nice. I may look into upgrading anyway then. The wheels on mine are so nice I suspect they might have been new as well. If the backspacing was right for wider tires I would just run them. I don't really care for spacers, would rather have the right wheels.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions. I think I'm going to stay with my original plan for a matching spare. Kinda like these wheels, if I'm buying new.

Random pic pulled from internet, mine is Khaki metallic.

View attachment 200638
Good luck.. like the color... those ravine wheels are nice!.. if you can keep them you might be glad down the road that u did!!

Last edited: