$50 off Spot Gen4 satellite GPS messenger.

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Bass Pro Shops (and Cabelas), along with several other dealers have the Spot Gen4 satellite GPS messenger device on sale for $99.00.

This is a pretty great price for the device. Like a personal locator beacon, it allows you to automatically summon rescue services to your location at the press of a button. A different button sends a pre-planned note via satellite to the person(s) of your choice. It does require a special data plan but it's relatively cheap and can be "put on hold" for times when you don't need it.

Link to Bass Pro Shop sale:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spo...ds_c=Shop|BPS|TopPerformers|Boating&gclsrc=ds
Service plans details:

https://www.findmespot.com/en-au/products-services/service-plans#spot-gen4-plans
The SPOT® Gen4 Satellite GPS Messenger gives you a critical, life-saving line of communication when you travel beyond the boundaries of reliable cellular service. This SPOT messenger lets family, friends, and colleagues know you're OK—or, if the unexpected should happen, it sends your GPS location to emergency responders, all with the push of a button. Add this rugged, pocket-sized device to your essential gear and stay connected wherever you play or work. Custom messaging lets contacts know where you are by sending a preprogrammed message along with your GPS location. Automatically send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using cloud-based mapping. In an emergency, send an SOS with your GPS location to GEOS, facilitator of search of rescue.
Manufacturer model #: GEN4.

Lets you stay in messaging contact even far outside cell range.
Can send your GPS location emergency responders with the push of a button
Rugged build quality
Pocket-sized for easy portability
Automatically send and save your location and let contacts track you.

Crazy pricing!! A delorme, ICOM or garmin are four times that. As long as it is world wide with good coverage.

my inreach (garmin) has good coverage but it is weak when indoors or in heavily wooded areas. You can move a few feet and then be able send and receive. But, what if you can’t move?? I’ve wondered what if in that situation.

anyone know if the comm sats are geo synchronous?

I just looked it up. Garmin inreach is part of the iridium sat system. Polar orbit. 66 sats.

the spot is part of the Globalstar sat system. Less coverage worldwide but solid in North America

Last edited:
I had two earlier models of the Spot and moved on from both. Constant issues with messages not being delivered. Not sure if they've got that resolved with newer versions.

Switched to the InReach SE first and then the Mini when it first came out and haven't had any issues. I used primarily for backcountry backpacking.

Reactions: Plumber1 and Sancho