5x5" hubs / unit bearings for TJ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I was thinking about this now that I have JK wheels with a 5x5.5" lug pattern.

The Revolution rear axle shafts I have offer a 5x4.5" or 5x5.5" lug pattern on the rear. So technically I could use the 5x5.5" and not have to run wheel spacers in the rear with my JK wheels.

However, I'm curious as to whether or not an option exists for 5x5.5" hubs / unit bearings in the front? I know that @Jerry Bransford had mentioned he has a Warn hub kit which accomplishes this, but since those are no longer made, I wonder if there's another option out there?

I suppose I could have some unit bearings drilled and tapped for the 5x5.5" lug pattern, but I'm not sure that would work (is there even enough material to do this?) either.

Double check your bolt pattern. JK is 5x5.0 iirc. No OEM quality product is available. There is enough material available to drill the OEM hubs out to 5x5. The studs will hang out slightly iirc.

Don't you need to run a spacer anyway with those rims to get enough BS for larger tires?

Double check your bolt pattern. JK is 5x5.0 iirc. No OEM quality product is available. There is enough material available to drill the OEM hubs out to 5x5. The studs will hang out slightly iirc.
My mistake, it is 5x5”.

They have 5.2” backspacing, which means I do need a spacer, so I think that doing this conversion wouldn’t actually do me any good after all. Clearly I didn’t think this one through first!

Chris said:
I'm curious as to whether or not an option exists for 5x5.5" hubs . . . in the front? . . . [The] Warn hub kit . . . accomplishes this, but since those are no longer made, I wonder if there's another option out there?

Yukon is now the source for manual hubs for your TJ Dana 30 or TJ Rubicon Dana 44.

For the stock TJ 5 x 4.5 lug pattern: https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=9897

For the 5 x 5.5 lug pattern (larger hub): https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=9757

Per @mrblaine these hubs will work with the Black Magic/Vanco Big Brake kits with some modifications to one or both kits. I didn't ask him to be more specific because I was simply exploring options at the time. Knowing it could be done was sufficient.

Reactions: Chris
Personally I wouldn't go with manual hubs on the 30 unless I was trying to fix vibes after trying everything else.

I did the Yukon kit because I spent months and months and god knows how muck $$$ trying to get rid of a vibration after installing 4:88 gears in my Lj. Installed the hubs and no more vibration, only regret was not doing it sooner.

I was waiting for you to chime in on this. Sadly, I may be following suit. Nice to know they make the kit for stock TJ lug pattern, but with me having Blaine's BBK, I would like to know what hoops have to be jumped thru to make it work.

Reactions: jeepndogs
Yukon is now the source for manual hubs for your TJ Dana 30 or TJ Rubicon Dana 44.

For the stock TJ 5 x 4.5 lug pattern: https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=9897

For the 5 x 5.5 lug pattern (larger hub): https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=9757

Per @mrblaine these hubs will work with the Black Magic/Vanco Big Brake kits with some modifications to one or both kits. I didn't ask him to be more specific because I was simply exploring options at the time. Knowing it could be done was sufficient.

Interesting thing is, they have them in 5x4.5 and 5x5.5, but not 5x5 (which is the lug pattern for JKs). I was hoping someone offered something like this, but in a 5x5" lug pattern.

I wonder why they do it in 5x5.5... seems a little odd since the new Jeep wheels are all 5x5.

Interesting thing is, they have them in 5x4.5 and 5x5.5, but not 5x5 (which is the lug pattern for JKs). I was hoping someone offered something like this, but in a 5x5" lug pattern.

I wonder why they do it in 5x5.5... seems a little odd since the new Jeep wheels are all 5x5.
The CJ was all 5 x 5.5. So, they are making the axle backward compatible, not forward. Seems to me though, that when I looked up Alloy shafts from Revolution, they were dual pattern, 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 5. Now I can't find ANY information about Pitch Circle on their site.

Reactions: Chris