6x6 TJ: good or bad?

Back in the 70s, Four Wheeler magazine had an article on a guy who did something similar to a CJ-6. I wish I could find a pic, but this was waaaaaay before the interweb.
If somebody has access to to the magazine from about 1975 or 76....

Back in the 70s, Four Wheeler magazine had an article on a guy who did something similar to a CJ-6. I wish I could find a pic, but this was waaaaaay before the interweb.
If somebody has access to to the magazine from about 1975 or 76....
I believe you're talking about this...

trac2.jpg

http://www.jollyjeepers.org/members/pages/eholbrook.htm
Which today looks like this...

6x6-cj6-holbrook.jpg

jolly-jeepers-dj6-6x6-green2.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
What the 6x6 TJ contraption is is a waste of time and money for something that few people want and no one needs.

It's like non alcoholic beer. Why? For the guy who wants to be out of shape but sharp as a tack?

It serves no purpose, isn't useful off road or on, and basically burned up a good TJ.

Reactions: burdetter16
I like it, a LOT. So I'll be odd man out. However, putting the carrier bearing on top of the forward rear axle instead of the frame raises questions. I'm guessing its not really possible to make/get the correct style forward rear axle to drive the rear rear in something sized to fit that rig.

I've had the occasional thought about a 3 wheel bicycle with tandem rear wheels over the years...
I kind of like it too but shorter and appreciate all the work that went into building, but I wouldn’t want it.

I kind of like it too but shorter and appreciate all the work that went into building, but I wouldn’t want it.
Exactly, about 2 wheels shorter.

I'm all for the ability to do it, it just doesnt improve anything.

Reactions: 1515art