8” Console Subwoofer Box

wrapp

My stock console subwoofer is blown and I'm in dire need of something new. I know you can fit a shallow mount 6.5" subwoofer in the center console on the stock box with some slight trimming adjustments, but I was thinking about looking for something bigger(and a new amp of course). I have seen before a box (Pioneer UDSW200D Empty 8-Inch Slim Box) that fits in the console for an 8" subwoofer, but the box is currently out of stock/unavailable on all sites. Does anyone know of any other boxes that would work? Worst case, I have seen many people build their own, but I'm not sure if it would work as well or be an easy project.

Any reason you don't want to run a powered subwoofer under the driver's seat? Coming from someone that used to have competition level JL subs, I was very surprised at the power/sound from the underseat sub the PO had installed. It's enough that I can get a great massage by playing Breezeblocks. :)

My stock console subwoofer is blown and I'm in dire need of something new. I know you can fit a shallow mount 6.5" subwoofer in the center console on the stock box with some slight trimming adjustments, but I was thinking about looking for something bigger(and a new amp of course). I have seen before a box (Pioneer UDSW200D Empty 8-Inch Slim Box) that fits in the console for an 8" subwoofer, but the box is currently out of stock/unavailable on all sites. Does anyone know of any other boxes that would work? Worst case, I have seen many people build their own, but I'm not sure if it would work as well or be an easy project.

If you want to replace your center console sub, that 6.75" Kicker is better suited than a slim line sub. You can get a mono amp to power it, or a five channel to power it and your other four speakers. That 6.75" kicker will be better at producing low bass than a slim line box subwoofer.

You could look into a 10" self powered slim line and throw it under the rear seat as well, in addition to the Kicker and a five channel amp, or mono amp.

Are you still all stock, including front speakers and roll bar?

After you see how to measure and design the box stop watching. He uses the wrong type of wood and has huge gaps. Plus a few other mistakes. Use MDF. The pics are of the one I made for mine. I used fiberglass for the e-brake cutout(didn't have to but helped give a little more airspace). Fosgate P3SD2-8 requires very little but I was right at the minimum. I dont have the dimensions of mine but if you use the video to design the box you can tweak little things to make yours fit. I used a clarion 5 channel amp the fit under the dash.
20170830_171247.jpg20170830_171254.jpg20170826_115438.jpg20170826_150134.jpg20170830_173815.jpg

After you see how to measure and design the box stop watching. He uses the wrong type of wood and has huge gaps. Plus a few other mistakes. Use MDF. The pics are of the one I made for mine. I used fiberglass for the e-brake cutout(didn't have to but helped give a little more airspace). Fosgate P3SD2-8 requires very little but I was right at the minimum. I dont have the dimensions of mine but if you use the video to design the box you can tweak little things to make yours fit. I used a clarion 5 channel amp the fit under the dash.
View attachment 193879View attachment 193880View attachment 193881View attachment 193882View attachment 193883

Nice stuff!

That 6.75" kicker will be better at producing low bass than a slim line box subwoofer.
I have that little Kicker sub driven by their 200.1 amp in the Jeep center console and frankly I was stunned how good it sounds.

I also have a pair of the Kicker HS8 powered subs (8", 150 watt) under the back seat of a Chevy Avalanche and they sound a LOT better.

Maybe it's the enclosed cab, maybe it's the subs. But I don't think either would be a bad choice in the Jeep. The only reason I chose the console sub over the powered sub was because I didn't think the powered sub would fit under the seat. And the TJ being the size it is, we have to use every square inch in the cab.

By the way, I also have a 10" L7 driven by a 750 watt amp in the boat and it'll blow both the other two smaller subs away in a heartbeat. Do I need that power in the Jeep or Avalanche? Probably not. And I'm not going to sacrifice space to do it either.

Last edited:
I have that little Kicker sub driven by their 200.1 amp in the Jeep center console and frankly I was stunned how good it sounds.

I also have a pair of the Kicker HS8 powered subs (8", 150 watt) under the back seat of a Chevy Avalanche and they sound a LOT better.

Maybe it's the enclosed cab, maybe it's the subs. But I don't think either would be a bad choice in the Jeep. The only reason I chose the console sub over the powered sub was because I didn't think the powered sub would fit under the seat. And the TJ being the size it is, we have to use every square inch in the cab.

By the way, I also have a 10" L7 driven by a 750 watt amp in the boat and it'll blow both the other two smaller subs away in a heartbeat. Do I need that power in the Jeep or Avalanche? Probably not. And I'm not going to sacrifice space to do it either.
I used to run two fosgate 12’s with 2000w in my extended cab Ranger, for some reason the rear window seal started leaking ;)

I would say the biggest factor would be you said you have two of the Kicker 8"s vs one Kicker 6.75".

I have that box as well but it was a tough fit. You have to cut up the center tray and make a new floor for it. Not really worth it, IMHO. You can make a box yourself, I have a 10"x8.5"x3.5" box with an 8" Ground Zero shallow mount woofer. It is more of a full range woofer that plays low, but I also have a dual 10" sub box. A Kicker 8" comprt may fit in that box and probably be the best choice when paired with the correct amplifier.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CWRT81/Kicker-CompRT-43CWRT81.html

Any reason you don't want to run a powered subwoofer under the driver's seat? Coming from someone that used to have competition level JL subs, I was very surprised at the power/sound from the underseat sub the PO had installed. It's enough that I can get a great massage by playing Breezeblocks. :)
To be honest I didn't really know people did subwoofers under the seats in tj's very much. Is it a lot of work? Are there any pros to doing this rather than the center console? I'm having trouble finding a console box anyway

To be honest I didn't really know people did subwoofers under the seats in tj's very much. Is it a lot of work? Are there any pros to doing this rather than the center console? I'm having trouble finding a console box anyway

There is a modified console box, with Kicker 8" in the for sale section. You could see if that is still available.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2006-center-console-with-8-inch-sub.39835/
Not major pros/cons to installing that slim line box under the seat or in the console. In the console is hidden while under seat is on the ground and if you get water in the Jeep it goes there. That would be the biggest con for me.

You can also buy this with a 10" woofer and amplifier and attach to your rear gate.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_663STEALTH/Select-Increments-Stealth-Pod.html

Reactions: Ephry73
If you want to replace your center console sub, that 6.75" Kicker is better suited than a slim line sub. You can get a mono amp to power it, or a five channel to power it and your other four speakers. That 6.75" kicker will be better at producing low bass than a slim line box subwoofer.

You could look into a 10" self powered slim line and throw it under the rear seat as well, in addition to the Kicker and a five channel amp, or mono amp.

Are you still all stock, including front speakers and roll bar?
So I got all new alpine speakers and a sony head unit. Currently lacking bass. Would I be better off going with a 6.75 Kicker rather than the 8 inch slim?

There is a modified console box, with Kicker 8" in the for sale section. You could see if that is still available.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2006-center-console-with-8-inch-sub.39835/
Not major pros/cons to installing that slim line box under the seat or in the console. In the console is hidden while under seat is on the ground and if you get water in the Jeep it goes there. That would be the biggest con for me.

You can also buy this with a 10" woofer and amplifier and attach to your rear gate.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_663STEALTH/Select-Increments-Stealth-Pod.html
Is there a special size box I would need to install a slim line under the seats?

View attachment 193879View attachment 193880View attachment 193881View attachment 193882View attachment 193883
Do you have a thread on how you made your box?

I just figured going with a slim line under the seat would be a lot more work.

So I got all new alpine speakers and a sony head unit. Currently lacking bass. Would I be better off going with a 6.75 Kicker rather than the 8 inch slim?

The 6.75" kicker paired with an amplifier is a option and I would choose that over a self powered subwoofer.

The kicker will be an easier install, and you can choose an amp for the Kicker only, or for the other speakers as well.

Is there a special size box I would need to install a slim line under the seats?

My bad, I thought you meant self powered. The 8" route was tough, and I think a 6.75" kicker would be the easiest install. I don't think upgrading to an 8" is worth it. If you are going all out that's another story, but keep it simple and grab that Kicker with the correct amp. The Kicker comes in different ohm loads, 1 ohm or 2 ohm, so match the amplifier correctly with the version you buy.

Do you have a thread on how you made your box?
image.jpeg
I dont have a thread but here is a sketch I went off of, as I remember I had to modify it a little. As shown in the pics I used fiberglass on the area cut out for the e-brake. The measurement for the speaker cutout centers it behind the console grill. Also I cut the whole big enough so the speaker would sit flush and put a ring on the inside to hold it.
I used a clarion xc2510 to run the whole system. I picked that one because it was small enough to fit under the dash and its a marine amp so it can take a little moisture in case I leave the top off and get caught in the rain.

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation, wanting to put an 8" Kicker CompRT in the center console. You are right about the Pioneer box being unavailable everywhere. That install looked like a really good plan. I have the console for the sub, just not the factory box the 6.5" factory sub came in.

Last edited: