8" versus 10" rims for a 13.5" wide tire

AidenC

TJ Enthusiast
Planning on running some 33x13.5x15 Super Swamper LTB's . I wasn't sure if a 8" wide rim would be wide enough for this tire if I'm going to be airing it down off road. I prefer the look of the 8" over the 10" and I bet that it would preform better off road as well. Does anybody have any experience with this tire or any recommendations on rims and backspacing? These tires are going to be used off road only btw.

For that wide of a tire I'd go with a 10" wheel width. Double-check your thoughts on going with a Super Swamper, is that the right type of tire for where you offroad?
The type of off-roading I’m doing around here , there isn’t much rock crawling it’s more soft ground with medium sized rocks. The plan is still to run some bfg ko2s on road cus they’re hard to beat. What backspacing with the 10” rims? I have stock fenders.

The type of off-roading I’m doing around here , there isn’t much rock crawling it’s more soft ground with medium sized rocks. The plan is still to run some bfg ko2s on road cus they’re hard to beat. What backspacing with the 10” rims? I have stock fenders.
I'd go for nothing more than 3.75" of backspacing.

What backspacing with the 10” rims? I have stock fenders.
4" backspacing on 10" wide wheels will stick out pretty far. :)
Rubi decal icon (3).jpg

Planning on running some 33x13.5x15 Super Swamper LTB's . I wasn't sure if a 8" wide rim would be wide enough for this tire if I'm going to be airing it down off road. I prefer the look of the 8" over the 10" and I bet that it would preform better off road as well. Does anybody have any experience with this tire or any recommendations on rims and backspacing? These tires are going to be used off road only btw.
I would suggest you check out Interco's website when you have a question about the recommended rim size for their tires... They design the tires bead to fit a specified rim width. They actually list the minimum and maximum rim widths for all of their tires.

1631838634429.png

https://www.intercotire.com/tire/60

I don't understand all the dislike for Interco TSL tires or 13.5" wide tire to be honest. I have run both a LOT and I like the wider tire off-road and never had issues with it on-road. So I'll try to help here a little and I in no way am telling you to go against what the tire manufacturer is recommending but I have ran 13.5" tire on 8" wide rim with no issues.

Here is a 33x12.5 tire on a 10" rim

IMG00157.jpg

This is a 35x13.5 on a 10" rim. And sorry I do not remember what the back spacing was on these rims.

IMG00127.jpg

And that same 35x13.5 on a 8" rim

IMGP0129.jpg

IMGP0131.jpg

Run the tire you want to run and forget what others have to say about it. I drove my TJ on the street a lot with those 13.5" wide tires & I had a 4 cyl & 4.88 gears so it wasn't a power house. And the dislike for Interco is again something I'll never understand.
I've ran them unbalanced on my rig. The 38x12.5x16.5 were not balanced.

If you want 33x13.5 LTB's then get them. Just know they will ride rough when cold since they are biased ply and they are loud. But I liked that noise so it never bothered me.

IMGP2276.jpg

Im choosing these for my offroad set because they're bias ply and there are a lot of sharp sticks and whatnot around where im wheeling. The farthest that these tires would ever be driven on road is just about 5 mile trips or so no super fast driving just around town type stuff. Ill probably just go with 10" rims to be safe.

Im choosing these for my offroad set because they're bias ply and there are a lot of sharp sticks and whatnot around where im wheeling. The farthest that these tires would ever be driven on road is just about 5 mile trips or so no super fast driving just around town type stuff. Ill probably just go with 10" rims to be safe.

Make sure you post pictures once you get them.
Why the LTB's over the SX or IRock? Or even the standard TSL tire?

I'm a huge fan of the SX tires myself. @Eddie Greenlee has the SX II tires on his TJ.

I'm a huge fan of the SX tires myself. @Eddie Greenlee has the SX II tires on his TJ.

They don’t have the sx tires in a size that will work for me . I’m not trying to bump up to 35s cus I only got 4.25 of lift.

Reactions: Wildman
They don’t have the sx tires in a size that will work for me . I’m not trying to bump up to 35s cus I only got 4.25 of lift.
Is that 4.5" pure suspension lift? If so and you don't have one already you can add a 1-1.25" body lift and have enough room for 35's.