93 yj 2.5 motor in a 98 tj

Daniel

Ok so a couple weeks ago now .. I had Someone do a motor swap on my tj .. Had a knock in it, burned oil , cracked piston , and just had high miles .. Well my buddy was doing a motor swap on his 93 yj and didn't need it anymore so offered to sell it to me for cheap .. So I jumped on it . had him put it in .. Drove good around town.. But then threw a rod first time I got on the highway after 250 miles .. Both were the 2.5 4 cylinder, but my question is was it just a bad motor ? Or was the 2.5 in the 93 yj not compatible for the 98 wrangler ?

Like rob said, it was probably just a bad engine. Throwing a rod is not an indication that the 4 cylinder was wrong for your jeep. It was probably red lined too many times or just not maintained properly. Sorry to hear about your failure.

Reactions: Daniel
That was my thought too Chris ,,, now I got a question, will the 2.5l from a 2000 xj mount up to my 98 tj .. Without changing computer , welding new mounts, or changing trans ? I may have a motor I just don't know what's interchangeable...

That was my thought too Chris ,,, now I got a question, will the 2.5l from a 2000 xj mount up to my 98 tj .. Without changing computer , welding new mounts, or changing trans ? I may have a motor I just don't know what's interchangeable...

It will mount up without changing anything, but I'm not 100% certain on the computer. It likely will need a new ECM (computer).