96 TJ

Zhillslady

TJ Enthusiast
Ok all knowing jeepers. I know you can verify this for me. I've read there was no 96 wrangler made yet my son in law insist mine it technically a 96 even though the title states 97. I did check the door frame and the original metal plate inside door says manufactured in 1996. I thought I read they were sold as 1997 models.

Jeep never made a 1996 model TJ. The '97 TJ was originally supposed to be released as a '96 but there were so many manufacturing issues that delayed it shipping on time to the dealers that they instead introduced it as an early release '97.

Anything produced June and after gets labeled as the next year. So for instance, my Rubicon says it was made in 08/2004, but it's titled as an 05. That's how auto manufactures work. So it's possible you could have a 07/96 build (or whatever), but it would be titled as a 1997.

Anything produced June and after gets labeled as the next year.
That isn't always the case, my '97 TJ had a 3/96 manufacturing date since Jeep decided to ship it as an early release '97 instead of a very late 1996 model. But it is true that probably half of the car model years were actually manufactured and shipped during the previous calendar year. :)

That isn't always the case, my '97 TJ had a 3/96 manufacturing date since Jeep released the '97 TJs early. But it is true that probably half of the car model years were actually manufactured and shipped during the previous calendar year. :)

Didn't know that! In most cases it is true, but I suppose there's always exceptions, especially when it's the very first model of the new generation to role off the line.

Well good to know. I know legally it's a 97 but it was my understanding there was no 96. I can tell my son in law I read right. Cause you know how son in laws like that

Reactions: Chris