97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ ECM / PCM Tuning Options

I was trying to research Superchips vs. Diablosport tuners here to see what people liked better. Glad I read this thread first. I was looking into a programmer just to be able to update axle gear ratios and tire size to hopefully optimize better drivability and fix my speedo. Does HP Tuners allow you to update gearing and tire size? I'm assuming now there is no benefit to this unless you plan on deep diving into the shift tables for the transmission. I drive a 05 Rubicon auto.

I was trying to research Superchips vs. Diablosport tuners here to see what people liked better. Glad I read this thread first. I was looking into a programmer just to be able to update axle gear ratios and tire size to hopefully optimize better drivability and fix my speedo. Does HP Tuners allow you to update gearing and tire size? I'm assuming now there is no benefit to this unless you plan on deep diving into the shift tables for the transmission. I drive a 05 Rubicon auto.

You can't update gearing and tire size on any TJ PCM, using any tuner. This is because that information is not stored in the PCM like it is on the later model JKs.

You also can't update the transmission shift points on the TJ, period. It's simply not possible, not with HPTuners or anything.

This has been extensively discussed in other threads and I've looked into it in great depth, as well as talked to some of the most knowledgable minds in this area. It's not possible.

As for the Superchips and Diablosport tuners, those are absolute garbage and DO NOT work on the TJ PCMs. They work on JKs and JLs (though they are still limited in what they can do over a full tuner like HPTuners), but they do not work on TJs.

@Chris you should look at the HPTuners website. They show support for all TJs.

Yes, I had to update the original post with this info. They used to only support 05-06 models, but now they support them all. My guess is this had something to do with the lawsuit they filed against Sykes (who was supporting 97-04 models when they weren't).

This is awesome news, as HPTuners is the go to tuning software for everything from LS engines to Mopar.

You can't update gearing and tire size on any TJ PCM, using any tuner. This is because that information is not stored in the PCM like it is on the later model JKs.

You also can't update the transmission shift points on the TJ, period. It's simply not possible, not with HPTuners or anything.

This has been extensively discussed in other threads and I've looked into it in great depth, as well as talked to some of the most knowledgable minds in this area. It's not possible.

As for the Superchips and Diablosport tuners, those are absolute garbage and DO NOT work on the TJ PCMs. They work on JKs and JLs (though they are still limited in what they can do over a full tuner like HPTuners), but they do not work on TJs.
Chris, as usual, I bought something prior to finding your website. I do have the superchip and I increased my MPG by 8mpg after a tune. They do work. I have not used any of the other options on the tuner.

Chris, as usual, I bought something prior to finding your website. I do have the superchip and I increased my MPG by 8mpg after a tune. They do work. I have not used any of the other options on the tuner.

It may be possible for them to work as a piggyback tuner, as that isn't hard to do, so I am not disputing that. However, they do not have access to the PCM itself, so they can't actually alter or change values stored within the PCM, only function as a piggyback standalone unit, much like an APEX'i unit or similar would. In other words, they interrupt the signals for fuel, timing, etc., and send their own signals instead.

8mpg, that would nearly double my fuel economy

Reactions: Flivver250
It may be possible for them to work as a piggyback tuner, as that isn't hard to do, so I am not disputing that. However, they do not have access to the PCM itself, so they can't actually alter or change values stored within the PCM, only function as a piggyback standalone unit, much like an APEX'i unit or similar would. In other words, they interrupt the signals for fuel, timing, etc., and send their own signals instead.
Hhhm. Ok. All I know is my mpg went from 8 to 16 in the city. What do mean about piggy back? Isn’t all the data stored in the PCM? Mine asked if I wanted to keep the old data so I could restore later. I’m trying to understand how it interrupts. Tia

Thanks Chris! You just save me like $400 that will get used well on other things for my Jeep :)

Reactions: Chris
Has anyone with a stock unmodified engine used B&G performance for a tune? What kind of results did you get? What kind of turn around time was it?
Just looking to add some ponies without investing in a supercharger.

Straight through 2 1/2" exhaust, 68 mm TB, 26 psi injectors. No shift light, no codes, 5500 rpm rev limit. I highly recommend the guy Chris talked to, he did mine.

PCM B&G.jpg

Valve cover Golen.jpg

Reactions: Superjoe and Alex01
@Chris sorry I may have missed some of this info bouncing around from different threads. Did you have your pcm tuned for your stock engine? Are people noticing any difference on a stock engine? I see that you have disabled some of the emissions systems. Any performance benefits or drawbacks? I am registering my jeep in a non smog county in NV. I am currently replacing my engine and trying to decide if I should remove some emissions systems while I am in there.