97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ ECM / PCM Tuning Options

@Chris sorry I may have missed some of this info bouncing around from different threads. Did you have your pcm tuned for your stock engine? Are people noticing any difference on a stock engine? I see that you have disabled some of the emissions systems. Any performance benefits or drawbacks? I am registering my jeep in a non smog county in NV. I am currently replacing my engine and trying to decide if I should remove some emissions systems while I am in there.

Yes, I have a @Flyin' Ryan Performance tune on my TJ for the stock 4.0. It made a tremendous difference. I have written and bragged about how much of a difference it has made in a number of different posts.

The evap system and cats have been disabled. I wouldn't say there is any performance benefits really, just less things to go bad.

If you have a 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ, you've probably heard lots of bullshit rumors across the internet about how our PCMs (ECUs) are locked, can not be tuned whatsoever, and there are simply no options for accessing the PCM.

Well, I'm here to dispel that stupid rumor and whoever started it. This is 100% untrue. While there may not be as many tuners for our PCMs as there would be for LS series GM engines, there are still plenty of tuning options out there for our TJs. Below I am going to compile a list of the tuning options that are guaranteed to work. Keep in mind that the crappy tuners like Superchips and Diablo Tuners DO NOT work for Tis, only JKs and newer.

Tuning Software
Syked ECU Tuning (for 97-04 TJ models)​
Syked ECU Tuning offers a complete tuning software suite to fully access the PCM on all 97-04 Jeep Wrangler TJ models.​
HPTuners (for 97-06 TJ models)​
HPTuners is very big in the GM LS tuning scene, but also the Mopar tuning scene as well. Their MPIV2 in combination with their VCM Suite gives you full access to the PCM on all 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ models. It does not have the ability to access 97-06 models. For more information on the HPTuners setup see my review here: HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs (at the time of writing this, HPTuners only offered access to 05-06 PCMs, however, that has changed and they now provide access to all 97-06 PCMs.)​
SCT (for 97-06 models)​
SCT is a popular option for tuning 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJs. SCT is very big in the automotive tuning industry and has a stellar reputation.​

Tuners
Performance Dyno (can tune 05-06 models)​
Josh uses the HPTuner software and can remotely tune any 05-06 model TJ. In order to have Josh tune your TJ, you'll need the HPTuner MPVI2, as well as a wideband O2 sensor. You can see my review on the HPTuner setup here: HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs
Flyin' Ryan Performance (can tune all 97-06 models)​
Ryan uses SCT to tune all 97-04 models and HPTuners to tune 05-06 models. Like Josh, he can tune remotely, so you can be anywhere in the world and still have him do your tune. Many of us use the FRP tune on our 4.0 equipped TJs including myself. I can't even begin to explain how much of a difference the FRP tune made on my 4.0. You can read more about FRP tuning here: FRP tuning for 97-06 TJs.​

Conclusion
Why am I posting this? Because there has been a long standing rumor in the TJ community that these PCMs could not be tuned by anyone, and that they were effectively locked. Well, a little detective work has led me to the right place, because I'm finally putting this myth to rest. It would appear that all hope is not lost for the ability to tune our TJs after all.

If you have a 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ, you've probably heard lots of bullshit rumors across the internet about how our PCMs (ECUs) are locked, can not be tuned whatsoever, and there are simply no options for accessing the PCM.

Well, I'm here to dispel that stupid rumor and whoever started it. This is 100% untrue. While there may not be as many tuners for our PCMs as there would be for LS series GM engines, there are still plenty of tuning options out there for our TJs. Below I am going to compile a list of the tuning options that are guaranteed to work. Keep in mind that the crappy tuners like Superchips and Diablo Tuners DO NOT work for Tis, only JKs and newer.

Tuning Software
Syked ECU Tuning offers a complete tuning software suite to fully access the PCM on all 97-04 Jeep Wrangler TJ models.​
HPTuners is very big in the GM LS tuning scene, but also the Mopar tuning scene as well. Their MPIV2 in combination with their VCM Suite gives you full access to the PCM on all 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ models. It does not have the ability to access 97-06 models. For more information on the HPTuners setup see my review here: HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs (at the time of writing this, HPTuners only offered access to 05-06 PCMs, however, that has changed and they now provide access to all 97-06 PCMs.)​
SCT (for 97-06 models)​
SCT is a popular option for tuning 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJs. SCT is very big in the automotive tuning industry and has a stellar reputation.​

Tuners
Josh uses the HPTuner software and can remotely tune any 05-06 model TJ. In order to have Josh tune your TJ, you'll need the HPTuner MPVI2, as well as a wideband O2 sensor. You can see my review on the HPTuner setup here: HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs
Ryan uses SCT to tune all 97-04 models and HPTuners to tune 05-06 models. Like Josh, he can tune remotely, so you can be anywhere in the world and still have him do your tune. Many of us use the FRP tune on our 4.0 equipped TJs including myself. I can't even begin to explain how much of a difference the FRP tune made on my 4.0. You can read more about FRP tuning here: FRP tuning for 97-06 TJs.​

Conclusion
Why am I posting this? Because there has been a long standing rumor in the TJ community that these PCMs could not be tuned by anyone, and that they were effectively locked. Well, a little detective work has led me to the right place, because I'm finally putting this myth to rest. It would appear that all hope is not lost for the ability to tune our TJs after all.
So question, I just finished installing a set of 4.10 gears and 33in tires onto my jeep its an 01. But the shift points are pretty rough and I would like the pcm or ecu to know that it has those tires and gears. What do you recommend. I bought a superchips f5 but learned quickly that it was a total waste of money and useless, so I'm looking for options.

So question, I just finished installing a set of 4.10 gears and 33in tires onto my jeep its an 01. But the shift points are pretty rough and I would like the pcm or ecu to know that it has those tires and gears. What do you recommend. I bought a superchips f5 but learned quickly that it was a total waste of money and useless, so I'm looking for options.

Contact FRP, he can take care of this for you:

http://www.frptuning.com/

Reactions: reddvltj
Would like to share my experience with Flying Ryan Performance so far.

I completed the payment for a custom tune + the SCT device on May 16th. The only confirmation I got was from my credit card being charged. I've sent several emails with questions regarding my order like estimate for the shipping to take place, what would be the next steps in the process etc, but my messages are being ignored. I don't know what's up, just disappointed that their service is praised here on the forum but I'm not having the same luck. I'm about to ask for my money back.

Would like to share my experience with Flying Ryan Performance so far.

I completed the payment for a custom tune + the SCT device on May 16th. The only confirmation I got was from my credit card being charged. I've sent several emails with questions regarding my order like estimate for the shipping to take place, what would be the next steps in the process etc, but my messages are being ignored. I don't know what's up, just disappointed that their service is praised here on the forum but I'm not having the same luck. I'm about to ask for my money back.

Take a look at his facebook page.
I have never had a problem with him, he always responds to my emails within a day or two.
Try contacting him thru FaceCrook

As of 5/18/21
Effective today we are taking a minimum 3 week pause on taking on new tuning orders, and going forward we will be significantly metering the volume of new tuning orders coming in.
Much like a doctor's office that periodically pauses on taking on new patients, we will be doing something similiar.
FRP has grown to the point where long term viability is not sustainable. There are not enough hours in the day to keep up with the current volume. We are not doing cookie cutter work, and with that comes real units of time in calibrating. I refuse to change what's resulted in my success , so to reduce volume is the only way.
We have enjoyed great success but it has come at the cost of my way of life, my health, my family,, and my commitments outside of tuning. So this is not an act of arrogance or due to poor sales but really about my own self preservation and a long overdue re-structuring of what is truly important in my personal and professional life.
When I first started tuning it was a necessity to pay the bills and subsidize my other professional endeavors . It was a labor of love.
The business has grown way past my wildest dreams, which has been great, but, it has gotten away from that feel of doing it because I love it. I still love it- but not the way I've been doing it the last several years.
Sorry to anyone that is inconvenienced by this, but for everyone that understands, I appreciate it more than you know.
Parts sales will still go on uninterrupted as that does not require my direct involvement at all times.
Regards,
Ryan

Last edited:
Well if that's the case, why there isn't anything on his website? That's very bad, why did they take my order and payment then? Almost a 1000 bucks paid on the 16th and then on the 18th there's this message on Facebook (I'm not on Facebook, not regularly, and believed his website to be the main channel for communication). Very frustrating to say the least.

Well if that's the case, why there isn't anything on his website? That's very bad, why did they take my order and payment then? Almost a 1000 bucks paid on the 16th and then on the 18th there's this message on Facebook (I'm not on Facebook, not regularly, and believed his website to be the main channel for communication). Very frustrating to say the least.
I'm sorry you feel slighted in your experience.

We have not updated the website as we are in the middle of launching a new website.

It says right on the website that turnaround time is 4-6 weeks. Since you missed that, a notice about a moratorium on orders would have likely gone unread as well.

FRP is a two person operation and we have been overwhelmed with work. We have been doing tuning on these platforms for 10 years, we are anything but a fly by night operation.

Best of luck to you.

Good afternoon to you all. I recently purchased a Magnum Supercharger kit from Charles for my 2005 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 manual transmission and I also purchased the HP mpv12+ I need a basic tune for this set up so I don’t destroy my engine. Any help is appreciated. Please send me a contact number or email so I can get a hold of the tuner. I do want to stick to HP since I all ready purchased the credits. Thanks

I sent this from my 1999 4.6 Stroker with several radical modifications here and told him what I had in it from Golen Engines as well as myself. It doesn't even have a catalytic converter anymore but the ECM interprets the O2 sensors to say that it does. The only thing I wanted the computer to control was the RPMs They shoot up way too fast so I had him set the rev limit to 5200 RPM. That's where my camshaft peaks anyway. With the AX 15 5 speed trans one missed gear could be a disaster without it. He helped design the ECM for the TJs as he worked for Chrysler back then. Seems like it was $200 + to send it to him and have it back in a week.
P&G Performance.png

Did you find a tuning system for your supercharger kit yet? Ive been using splitsecond piggybacks and it would solve all of your tuning issues. Its even plug a d play so no wiring.

Has anyone found a good replacement 05-06 PCM that is also tunable? Worst case I can just use another NGC3 PCM, but wouldn’t want to install a product with a known flaw.

Anyone ever try tuning a NGC4 for the 4.0? Most NGC4 applications are supported by HPTuners, and I imagine the architecture would be similar to the NGC3.

Has anyone found a good replacement 05-06 PCM that is also tunable? Worst case I can just use another NGC3 PCM, but wouldn’t want to install a product with a known flaw.

Anyone ever try tuning a NGC4 for the 4.0? Most NGC4 applications are supported by HPTuners, and I imagine the architecture would be similar to the NGC3.
Not really

Differences Between NGC3 and NGC4:

On NGC3 controllers, internal communications between the PCM and TCM microprocessors takes place via a Dual-Port RAM chip. This integrated circuit allows the two microprocessors to directly share high-speed digital information internally without having to rely on the PCI Bus for all communications.

NGC4 instead uses a single board with a single processor.

Additional differences between NGC3 and NGC4:

1) TIPM inputs
2) Voltage regulator strategy
3) Connector I/O differences
4) Transmission-only module to support diesel applications

Processor bandwidth and speed:

NGC3: 32 bit/32 MHz engine processor, 16 bit/16 MHz transmission processor

NGC4: 32 bit/80MHz processor for both engine and transmission

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel City 06

Tuning Software
SCT (for 97-06 models)​

Tuners

Conclusion

Old post but what kind of cabel do I need? I have OBD2 but it will only read.