97 Cruise Control Resistance Values

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Does anyone know or know how to find out what the PCM wants to see? The only inkling that they are different from the later ones is a set of instructions I have for a CC kit from Mopar that shows to get a different part number for a switch kit if it is being installed in a 97. It does not list 98 as being needing but I see info that says 97 and 98 are different than other years.

I'm trying to build CC for a 97 with a 97 PCM using a later 05 steering wheel which has different switches than earlier versions with the two spoke steering wheels.

In the past month there was a member that was building a cruise control for his TJ; he was referencing the resistance values for the different year switches and was going to solder in resistors to adapt the switches he purchased to his year resistance value.
I will see if I can locate the post....

In the past month there was a member that was building a cruise control for his TJ; he was referencing the resistance values for the different year switches and was going to solder in resistors to adapt the switches he purchased to his year resistance value.
I will see if I can locate the post....
Thank you.

I have 3 versions of a 97 FSM and none have section 8H speed control. Here is what the 98 FSM states but i am not sure if its the same for 97.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 8.09.12 AM.png

I have 3 versions of a 97 FSM and none have section 8H speed control. Here is what the 98 FSM states but i am not sure if its the same for 97.

View attachment 293975
I'm still looking for pics of the 97 round charcoal canister with CC installed to see if was even optional. I've found one pic of a CC servo with an oddball bracket that is not the later 03-06 version so I think that might be it, but not sure. Have not found any showing the servo in place on the fender.

I'm still looking for pics of the 97 round charcoal canister with CC installed to see if was even optional. I've found one pic of a CC servo with an oddball bracket that is not the later 03-06 version so I think that might be it, but not sure. Have not found any showing the servo in place on the fender.
Thats kind of where I am at... the wiring schematics for 97 dont list cruise control at all. I can search "cruise control" on the Pdf and a few pages do mention disconnecting the cruise control cable but besides that I cant find any info on it.

I also have a few OBD-II era Mopar FSMs (Ram, Dakota, etc) that all use the JTEC controller. I'm fairly certain that the early year JTECs all utilized the same cruise control signaling for resume, on/off, etc. I'll grab that for ya when I get back to the house - may be helpful...

Look for a section labeled speed control. Later years have it as 8p but 98 and 99 shows 8h.
I don't have 8P either. Nor anything about "speed control". I do have a few index results for "speed sensor", and will check those out now.

Edit: No, those aren't proving helpful either.

When I did the cruise install on my 98 there was another forum I was on that had a guy trying to do the factory cruise on a 97. One of the posters to that forum mentioned he had bought a new sport off a lot in June or July of 97 and cruise was not an option at that point. At a later point they sold him a factory kit with the components for a 98 TJ that did work for him. There was also one mention of some 97's not having the light in the gauge cluster, not that would be a complete dead end but would add to the complexity of making it look factory.

When I did the cruise install on my 98 there was another forum I was on that had a guy trying to do the factory cruise on a 97. One of the posters to that forum mentioned he had bought a new sport off a lot in June or July of 97 and cruise was not an option at that point. At a later point they sold him a factory kit with the components for a 98 TJ that did work for him. There was also one mention of some 97's not having the light in the gauge cluster, not that would be a complete dead end but would add to the complexity of making it look factory.
Mine does not have the dash light for it. I don't remember seeing a spot for it when I replaced the bulbs.

My throttle body and valve cover looks to have the spots to attach it though. But the engine could have been replaced before I bought it.

I ordered a new 97 back in the day and cruise was not an option. I had to install my own after getting it. I just used an aftermarket unit back then that did not involve the factory computer and had its own controller.

My 97 SE was about as bare-bones as they came, and I am (pretty much) the original owner. No cruise control for mine, but maybe that's because it was an SE.