97 drive shaft issue

Skipthebarber_

Bought a 97 wrangle sport 5speed, and not long after the U joint that connects to the yolk in the rear end snapped. I replaced both the yolk and I joint. Still have the same clunk when going from stop to 1st gear. Any idea what could be causing this?

I'm a bit confused, so you'll have to elaborate more.

You bought a 97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, and it had a clunking sound going from a dead stop to 1st gear? Then the u-joint snapped?

You replaced the u-joint, but it's still doing the same clunk as before?

If so, that would suggest it wasn't the u-joint that snapped, since you replaced it and it didn't get rid of the clunk.

Is the only time you can hear this clunk going from a dead stop to 1st gear, or are there other times you can hear it as well?

The clink only happens from stop to 1st. Typically if the shift it's to necessarily the smoothest. Here's a picture of what broke and I replaced.
d37f4eae6d02f5f15db3301a7e149cd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look for worn suspension components, control arm bushings, track bar bushings, shocks. By the looks of the rust on that drive shaft, I would expect some worn out/cracked bushings.

I would look for worn suspension components, control arm bushings, track bar bushings, shocks. By the looks of the rust on that drive shaft, I would expect some worn out/cracked bushings.

I did see an upper rear control arm that needed to be replaced. That could be contributing to too much movement in the rear end, resulting in the noise I hear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk