97 Jeep Cummins Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be worried about the AX15 behind the 4BT. And a Dana 35 isn't gunna live long either.

Whats wrong with the AX-15?

Nothing is WRONG with the AX15 but it is rated for 300 lb ft of torque. You turn that motor up AT ALL and it'll be way beyond that.
The AX15 is a great transmission for many applications but I don't think it's the right one for this swap.

Reactions: L0jik
Cummins 4Bt Powered Jeep Wrangler - Bing video

I looked on youtube for a 4BT diesel, I like the sound.
Don't get my wrong, I didn't say it wasn't a great sound, I love the sound of a 4BT, but it's going to be loud. 4BTs have their injection technology from the 1980s. You can find an Isuzu variant of the 4BT called a 4BD1T which has a more refined injection system and head so it's smoother and a little quieter but you still aren't getting around the fact that the engine weighs 782lbs.

There are other diesel engines that I believe are much better suited for a YJ or TJ than the 4BT. Again love the sound, but in my opinion not ideal for a TJ.

Reactions: Wildman
Don't get my wrong, I didn't say it wasn't a great sound, I love the sound of a 4BT, but it's going to be loud. 4BTs have their injection technology from the 1980s. You can find an Isuzu variant of the 4BT called a 4BD1T which has a more refined injection system and head so it's smoother and a little quieter but you still aren't getting around the fact that the engine weighs 782lbs.

There are other diesel engines that I believe are much better suited for a YJ or TJ than the 4BT. Again love the sound, but in my opinion not ideal for a TJ.
You sure seem to know a lot about diesel engines for a TJ.............. wonder why ;)

• Wow
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
You sure seem to know a lot about diesel engines for a TJ.............. wonder why ;)
You know it just kind of happens, you take a PERFECTLY working TJ, you decided to convert it to a diesel in 6 months, 28 months later you are still trying to get it running, yeah I don't know why I know alot about diesel.

Reactions: L0jik and Tarmijo94
I'd be worried about that boat anchor 4bt in the front of a TJ.
I agree, its almost 300 pounds heavier than a 4.0 and stock for stock very similar performance wise. Definitely has the cool factor though

Something about Cummins owners and having to tell everyone they have a Cummins... Why would you do that to the hood?

I would never buy someone else's nightmare like that. You never know the quality of the work, what they cut corners on, etc.

As previously mentioned it has a transmission that realistically can't stand up to the torque, and they left the Dana 35 axle in. What kind of half-ass build is that? Any conversion I usually run far away from, because it usually means someone tried to build something, got halfway through and realized they needed a lot more money to do it right. The people who do build it right are usually so far into the project financially they will never sell it.

I would never buy someone else's nightmare like that. You never know the quality of the work, what they cut corners on, etc.

As previously mentioned it has a transmission that realistically can't stand up to the torque, and they left the Dana 35 axle in. What kind of half-ass build is that? Any conversion I usually run far away from, because it usually means someone tried to build something, got halfway through and realized they needed a lot more money to do it right. The people who do build it right are usually so far into the project financially they will never sell it.
I don't think I would feel right selling my project to anyone. It would take too long to explain everything and I don't think I would want the hassle of them reaching out to ask my how and why I did something to the Wrangler.

Reactions: Blondie70
Status
Not open for further replies.