Utah 97 TJ 2.5L to 5.9L Magnum (to Moab!)

Dan_Goodwin

Supporting Member
I am gearing up to do a Magnum swap in my 97 TJ this winter (my build thread will be getting updated or possibly scrapped and started over later) and my wife and I decided we need to take it somewhere fun after all the bugs are worked out, so why not go out west? The trip would be September or October of 2022 and last 10 (ish) days.

The general route would be Birmingham to St Louis to Moab on the trip out and the return trip would go through Dallas. A few questions for the collective knowledge here:

1. Between St Louis and Moab, what are the routes / things to do OR absolutely NOT do?
  2. What scenic trails / roads are there to take in Colorado that are reasonably close to our route?
  3. The Moab part of this trip is a bucket list item for me, the wife not as much. What EASY trails / restaurants / local shops are a must do? I'd have about a day, possibly 2 here.
The proposed route:
Map.jpg

The Jeep:
015cae65b4dfafb75abf78ae927d30252e54c2c9e1.jpg

An absolute must will be contacting me on your way through Newer Mexico and we'll get together for some good food and drinks. And you need to plan on a couple of days in Ouray CO and run some the famous trails there, like Black Bear and Imogene. Stay at the Twin Peaks in Ouray. Or maybe me and the wife meet you in Ouray and guide on those trails. You really won't want to leave and go to Moab after that.

1. Between St Louis and Moab, what are the routes / things to do OR absolutely NOT do?
I'd stop in Kansas City at Joe's KC for some BBQ.

1. What scenic trails / roads are there to take in Colorado that are reasonably close to our route?
Spend a little time (3 days or so) in Lake City/Ouray/Telluride to run the big passes there: Engineer -> Black Bear -> Imogene, etc.

Be sure to post here when you're coming through CO, I'd try to meet you for the local trails you are interested in.

I'd stop in Kansas City at Joe's KC for some BBQ.

Spend a little time (3 days or so) in Lake City/Ouray/Telluride to run the big passes there: Engineer -> Black Bear -> Imogene, etc.

Be sure to post here when you're coming through CO, I'd try to meet you for the local trails you are interested in.
For KC BBQ, Arthur Bryant's is hard to beat.

Reactions: rasband