97 TJ Build Thread: From 'I'm Keeping it Stock' to a 5.9 Magnum swap

Dan_Goodwin

Supporting Member
As much lurking as I've done over the past few years, I figured it was past time to contribute to this fantastic community. Bear with me as I update 1.5 years of TJ ownership.

The quick backstory: I've always loved off-roading and have wanted a Jeep since I was a kid. I am a hobbyist mechanic / metal fabricator and have dabbled in a little bit of everything, from older 2 stroke Seadoos to 4 wheelers to automotive stuff. My off road rig is a 2004 Yamaha Rhino with a +6" long travel, lots of other aftermarket parts and a custom cage, built by myself. After graduating from Auburn with a Building Science degree in 2016 and getting married in 2017, my wife and I started discussing getting a fun 3rd vehicle and when a friends FIL's 97 TJ came up for sale we decided to jump on it.

The Jeep in question is a 97 TJ SE with the 2.5L, 5 speed and 132k miles on it and had been mainly used as a grocery getter and hunting rig. The PO had owned the Jeep since 2004 and had taken pretty good care of it. The only modifications it had was 31x10.50 Kenda Klever MTs, 2.5" RC lift and a 3" body lift. It had actually been sold to another friend months before I got it and he'd installed the RC lift and purchased the 1.25" body lift, but never got around to swapping the body lift out. It'd sat since he bought it and offered it to sell it to me for what he had in it. Here it is the day we brought it home:

015e8822cccc81d4ab447c4d7a696dc6990876abad.jpg

0125350246ffdf48fb6d2a80e11a7deef3d3f02a29.jpg

01dd46d9c26e652a66022f58850cc2c90b0cbb80f3.jpg

Overall it was a pretty clean rust free TJ that just needed some good TLC. My goal from the start was to craft a solid daily driver TJ that could also hit some mild trails when I didn't want to take the Rhino out. Up to this point I knew about Jeeps but didn't really know the minute details, so it was time to learn.

While the bank account recovered from this purchase, it was time to start tinkering and figuring out what all this TJ needed. The first order of business was to swap out the 3" body lift for a 1.25" lift and clean up the fender flares. I ended up painting the flares with Krylon Fusion Satin Black after the heat gun trick didn't work as well as I'd hoped. The end caps on the front bumper and the oddly placed off road light was also removed.

0107e0bcbc007879150531426949e7eb6484db97d7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Akitadog and JMT
Ok if you are thinking of doing a V-8 swap into your TJ there are a few things you need to know and look at before you get started.
1) You need to look for the build date on the white sticker on the drivers side door jamb.

20200207_163112.jpg

If you look at mine you can see it was built on 01/96 and this matters because the wiring is different on the early builds from 01/96-04/96. TJ's built after 04/96 the wiring will match what is in the FSM wiring diagrams.

2) You will need to change your input gear on your transfer case since the 4 cyl is a 21 spline and your need a 23 spline. Or get a transfer case from a 6 cyl Jeep or use the transfer case from the V-8 swap vehicle depending on what it is.

Look at my build thread plus search for the other threads about swapping a V-8 into your TJ.

20200207_163203.jpg

This Jeep build is a budget build, though not in the sense of spending as little as possible – this is about spending money in the right places for a quality result. You’ll notice in all of the pictures that the work on this TJ was done entirely in my carport, as our house doesn’t have a shop (yet).

After spending some time ‘piddling’ and getting to know the Jeep I had a list of things to address, some were maintenance, others were preference. Admittedly, there won’t be any ground breaking tech here, as the TJ is such a well documented platform but this is all part of the story. This list will be updated as items are addressed and I’ll go into details about relevant things in later posts.

• Rocker protection and a step bar to get in.
    • Barnes 4wd rocker guards and custom rub rail installed.
  • Lack of a console
    • Spice color console sourced from 2000 TJ and installed.
  • A/C doesn’t work
    • Condenser hard lines replaced.
  • Track bars need relocating or replaced with adjustable units
  • Front tires rub at full lock
    • Spidertrax 1.25” spacers installed (purchased blemished spacers to save a few dollars)
  • Radiator fan shroud is broken and missing the bottom 1/3rd
    • Mishimoto electric fan installed
  • 2004 aftermarket head unit really needs improving
    • JVC KD-X35MBS installed
  • Front speakers don’t work and rears are blown
    • plugged front speakers in (LOL) and replaced rears with temporary cheapies.
  • Front drive shaft u-joints are shot
    • Replaced with non-serviceable Spicer units
  • Transfer case shifter works fair
    • Savvy shift cable installed.
  • Abnormal amount of heat radiating around your feet
    • Inner shift boot replaced and Noico 80mil deadner installed.
  • Aux back up lights
    • flush mount LEDs installed.
  • Carpet could use replacing
  • Headlights are fair
    • Amazon LED replacements installed.
  • General tune up wouldn’t hurt
  • Rear brakes didn’t work
    • Replaced with 97 ZJ discs.
  • Steering is really sloppy
    • Intermediate steering shaft was replaced with Crown unit from Quadratec.
  • Tires are 50% tread. Start researching replacements.
    • 33x12.50x15 Toyo MTs installed. Later sold for 305/70/16 Toyo MTs on Rubicon wheels.
  • AC only blows out the defroster when going over 50mph

Last edited:
The first thing to address was the brakes. Stopping with front only was fine on dry pavement, but one hill in particular going to work was sketchy at best. I pulled the rear tires off to diagnose the issue and stripped the lug studs getting the wheels off. New studs and lug nuts were purchased from O’Reilly.

017eda95efd22f40006098bdda6c91a500fe827c23.jpg

The issue turned out to be stuck wheel cylinders, which left me with a decision to make: rebuild the drum brakes or upgrade to discs. After research I found that ZJs ran discs in the rear and the parts were a direct swap, so I ran to the local Pull a Part and grabbed the rear brake assemblies from a 97 ZJ. Here they are on first mock up:

01cc2eae64f36b805c8eb91cccd7d8825d972e6f3a.jpg

I decided on the disc setup for 2 main reasons: ease of maintenance and performance in mud (in the South, mud is unavoidable, no matter how hard you try). The swap really was plug and play – I pulled the axles out, swapped the mounting bracket over and reassembled everything.

Next on the list was to address the lack of AC. My commute to work is a short drive, but most of my driving is around town in stop and go traffic which gets hot in a hurry when its 95+ and 100% humidity. I found the culprit to be a hole in a condenser line. It appears that this radiator has been replaced at some point but the unit didn’t have enough clearance for the freon lines and a hole was worn in over time. The hard lines were replaced and the AC charged back up.

01ce8f338f1015f967b895e1e41d2f10183d56e003.jpg

To completely round out the comfort of this fine driving machine, I needed to fix the stereo. The rear speakers were blown and the fronts didn't work. The fronts just needed plugged in (LOL). Now on to the rears. Everyone has that box of cords and cables they've had laying around for YEARS that you just can't bring yourself to throw away? Well, that box redeemed itself, as I had a pair of new-ish Kenwood speakers that fit in the rear speaker holes. Again, these will get replaced eventually, but this price was right for now. The Sony head unit from 2004 worked fine, but I really wanted Bluetooth capabilities. I ordered and installed a JVC KD-X35MBS from Crutchfield. Their service and shipping is the best, which is what keeps me going back.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMT and Ephry73
Now that I could ride in comfort and safely stop, it was time to address the important stuff: cosmetics and the total lack of street cred this Jeep has. To me, the best looking rigs are the ones with subtle and well thought out details (subtly badass, if you will), not a bunch of chinese made bolt ons and flashy accessories. I fully intend for this TJ to serve time on the trails, so to protect the rockers I ordered a set of Barnes 4wd TJ rocker guards and decided to add my own rub rail / step from some 1.75” .120” wall DOM scrap tubing I had laying around to save some money:

019b334a3950af18b5a6f74f1ada61b7e95bfcf371.jpg

011e10e2dcc36545d7a5f36af9a9fb8e0ee5becdc9.jpg

0134662cfdb32d456fad520c4f04453aa0ff7155bc.jpg

One note for anyone looking at these (and probably any similar product): I had to notch the guards to fit around the body lift puck, so these aren’t pinched in the body mount any more. I need to address how to keep these from folding up if I ever land hard on them. After these were wiped down, I sprayed them with Krylon Fuson 2 in 1 paint and primer gloss black to keep touch ups easy.

Eventually I’ll replace these wheels, but for now a coat of paint will do. The wheels were scuffed and painted with Duplicolor gunmetal gray wheel paint. Here is the finished result:

0173412d2d23035e8e4a6f7c26bfcb4829ace6b353.jpg

As summer heated up here in Alabama, the now functional AC presented another problem. Even with the broken fan shroud the Jeep never had an overheating issue…until the AC added more load to the cooling system. I began to notice the temp gauge creep up when sitting still in traffic so something had to be done about the fan shroud. Between used shrouds going for $100+ on eBay and wanting a little more power out of the 2.5L, I elected to go the electric fan route. I looked into several junkyard fan swaps, but found a TJ Mishimoto electric fan on eBay for $65 and jumped on it. The fan was installed and temporarily wired up to a relay and manual switch that was run into the cab. I have been really impressed with this fan, as it has no issue keeping the Jeep cool.

016fc5a728d1a98cb69627f4ad3559a22c9b15964b.jpg

01309c959edecd6f4519c53fd205fd4e218518d10f.jpg

Last edited:
I like having a winch on anything I take off the pavement and since I knew the Jeep was going to get into trouble at some point it was past due for a winch. I’ll eventually buy or build a full front and rear bumper package, but for now I ordered a winch plate off of Amazon and pulled the Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 off my other DD. I’ve had this winch for several years and have had fantastic service out of it. The front bumper was also trimmed down to give it the stubby look. To aid in the lighting department, I brought some old HID converted Hella 500s out of retirement and installed some LED headlights off Amazon.

01828c93eeb2d584458d22771a0b5162659d0104b2.jpg

It didn’t take long for the chrome bezels to disappear and be replaced with black ones. A few months later I rotated the tires and picked up a mild case of death wobble starting at 45mph. It was still drivable, but rather annoying. On my daily stroll of Facebook Marketplace, I happened up on a set of 5 like new 33x12.50x15 Toyo MTs for only $700!

010fe31ac0de973d9408bcffae96e93f0292facbd7.jpg

Are they a little too wide for these wheels? Yes.

Do I now need more gear to turn them? Yes.

Does my speedometer gear need replaced again? Yes.

But they look (and ride) amazing! Death wobble was fixed and the Jeep finally had tires to fit the lift height.

01ab3538b253cdc55a2cfc1d9585266594e23e2adc.jpg

With another summer warming up I finally addressed the excessive heat in the cab. I had noticed when I swapped consoles that the PO apparently had shifter clearance issues after the body lift and hacked up the transmission tunnel, leaving the shift boot with nothing to attach to and chewing the boot up in the process. A new boot was sourced from Quadratec and a replacement transmission tunnel piece was ordered off eBay. While I was at it I also installed 80mil Noico sound deadening material that so many on this forum recommend.

0132ca49bc8728a172b4627181544a952b4c084220.jpg

The combination of the replaced inner shift boot and Noico made a dramatic difference in the cabin temperature and noise level in the Jeep.

Now is where the fun and build thread really begins. Not long after buying the Jeep, my lovely wife makes a comment that she wishes it had an automatic transmission in it so she could drive it, as she can drive a 5 speed but doesn’t really enjoy it. To her credit, combine the hilly terrain around Birmingham and the stop and go traffic at rush hour and driving a manual around here is a challenge. Like any good gearhead husband, I wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to kill multiple birds with 1 stone and upgrade in the process. I pitched a V8 and automatic swap and was met with “Well, what are you waiting on?” Remember when I said I wanted to keep this Jeep stock-ish?

To be fair, the 2.5L and AX-5 is a good combination for a stock-ish Jeep and is fantastic for backroads cruising but is painfully slow no matter which way you slice it. Initially, I wanted to swap in the spare 5.3 I had in storage, and while it had the ‘sexy’ appeal, it was a bit cost prohibitive. I personally enjoy mixing and matching OEM parts to craft something that should have come from the factory, so I wasn’t a big fan of all the ‘adapting’ needed to make the LS platform work.

Then I found the Magnum V8 Discussion thread. Combine the low cost of donor vehicles and the almost seamless integration of electronics and I was almost immediately sold on the Magnum swap. I spent the next few months reading through the entire Magnum Discussion thread and every build thread I can find taking notes, which can me found in the link below. I’ll keep that document updated as the build progresses. I’ll also upload pictures and anything else I referenced for the swap.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FAX9UpQwRnzrzvwcLyajAujfJD-KL48B-yYkvmF7lKg/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13pSMO8amAyi_KpCWtZP2vlg8-InvN-F3?usp=sharing

Since my Jeep is a 97 with the CCD bus, I was looking for 97-00 Rams, Durangos and Dakotas and even entertained Grand Cherokees. I preferred a donor Ram since I wanted to harvest the front axle for a solid axle swap I have planned, but had trouble finding one for a reasonable price. Ultimately, I settled on a 1999 5.9 Durango that ran and kinda drove for $500.

013873e2b369a5c9fa19a621be2e2cd0047072b8ef.jpg

I was in the middle of a bathroom renovation, so the Durango was delicately unloaded in the back lot at work and parked while I got my ducks in a row (okay, at least in the same pond) for the swap.

014cf48875abe1f239f06879f1430de63f1996a343.jpg

I've got to laugh a little when you mention the hills in Birmingham as I learned to drive a stick in Seattle, WA. While not as hilly as San Francisco it does have some hills.

When I did my V-8 swap I went with a auto also but mine was due to a leg injury as I would have liked to keep manual.

Which transmission did the Durango come with? 44RE or 46RE as I have heard conflicting info as to which they have.

I've got to laugh a little when you mention the hills in Birmingham as I learned to drive a stick in Seattle, WA. While not as hilly as San Francisco it does have some hills.

When I did my V-8 swap I went with a auto also but mine was due to a leg injury as I would have liked to keep manual.

Which transmission did the Durango come with? 44RE or 46RE as I have heard conflicting info as to which they have.
I have the 46RE. From my research, the 44RE came behind the 5.2s and the 5.9 got the 46RE

I have the 46RE. From my research, the 44RE came behind the 5.2s and the 5.9 got the 46RE

The 5.2 that I had before in my TJ had a 5.2 behind it and I had trouble with it twice in the 4 years mine was running.
I was under the same impression but I'd heard from someone that some Dakota's and Durango's even with a 5.9 came with the 44RE unless it had the tow package. But I've never been able to confirm any of that.

Are you just going to drop it in or do you plan to refresh the engine and tranny? How many miles are on the Durango?
Do you know about the plenum gasket on the keg intake? Also about that some heads will crack around the valve seats?
And the TSB about routing of the spark plugs?

I have a whole list of things on the Magnum engines. Are you just starting this swap? Do you still need a 23 spline input gear for your t-case?

Reactions: JMT
The 5.2 that I had before in my TJ had a 5.2 behind it and I had trouble with it twice in the 4 years mine was running.
I was under the same impression but I'd heard from someone that some Dakota's and Durango's even with a 5.9 came with the 44RE unless it had the tow package. But I've never been able to confirm any of that.

Are you just going to drop it in or do you plan to refresh the engine and tranny? How many miles are on the Durango?
Do you know about the plenum gasket on the keg intake? Also about that some heads will crack around the valve seats?
And the TSB about routing of the spark plugs?

I have a whole list of things on the Magnum engines. Are you just starting this swap? Do you still need a 23 spline input gear for your t-case?

The Durango was torn down and scrapped last week, so I'm just starting to get into this. Per the ad, the Durango has 135k on it, but it had a 'No Bus' message on the odometer, probably because the PO punched the ignition out and kept a screwdriver in the cup holder to start it. The whole deal was as sketchy as it sounds 😆.

I am going to refresh and upgrade as needed. I don't plan on doing anything internal unless the engine gives signs that it may have issues and a quick glance under the valve covers is a very promising start. Engine refresh will currently consist of plenum gasket, water pump, PS pump and a general tune up. I'm still researching this part - I didn't know about that TSB though. Thanks.

For the transmission, it'll definitely be getting rebuilt. If the paint marker on the trans is correct, it was rebuilt 12/04, but the broken and missing bolts removed any confidence I had in it. The current plan for the transfer case is to swap the gear from the Dodge case to the Jeep case using the Ugly Betty thread for reference.

Okay well I know it's a huge PITA but I would pull your heads and check them just to make sure they aren't cracked. This was one of the heads off the 5.2 I puled out of my TJ and it was suppose to have less than 100K on it.

Cracked head 2.jpeg

Cracked head.jpeg

It was causing me to have overheating issues.

Here is the TSB for the spark plug routing
https://tinyurl.com/y4xyvn58

Bad Plenum gasket
https://tinyurl.com/y3ydf5ap
Here is what it can look like.

IMGP0683.jpg

IMGP0666.jpg

IMGP0681.jpg

I have a 23 spline input gear if you need it. I got years ago and the got a STaK t-case instead so never used it.

Well it seems the 3 sites I use to use for tech info on the engine and tranny are all not working now. It's been a few years since I had tried to access any of them. But I still know a lot of things to look for so I am glad to help where I can.

No updates on the Magnum swap, but here are a few pictures from the Durango disassembly. A perk of my job is access to equipment and a well stocked shop. A few sawzall blades and body bolts later:

01b2ac16eed7d9c29ace5216006fc136993c1142e8.jpg

Off to the scrap yard it goes! I wish I had the space to store the Durango and part it out but this was the best option.

0108726a165fc559c68560a49b68beccb360abef91.jpg

I kept the wiring harness and PDC in tact and only cut the harness where it passes through the firewall. I am planning to use the Durango harness as the base for the swap.

The motor, trans and transfer case were disassembled and put in storage for the time being. The transfer case mounting flange on the transmission OD housing is cracked, so that solidifies that this transmission will be getting a rebuild.
012bb0c1a71a4c58f9af6938edb4420318681d1976.jpg

Unfortunately for my wife the engine lived in our carport for a bit before I had a chance to take it to the farm. I figured it needed time to get acquainted with the Jeep anyway.

014a1b347dbba99043a936223b1b367659db739539.jpg

The best thing we've done in the Jeep is to put miles on it! We haven't taken it on a real road or wheeling trip yet, but are planning to do so in the near future. This was from a trip to the family lake house about 60 miles away.

0140cadb7f4cd02c544924eae6e975f3fed72f025f.jpg

I am gearing up to address the electrical accessories on the TJ, so I had to do something about the 97-02 switch panel (not really HAD to... I just wanted to). I've seen the mod about adding the 2nd panel, but I didn't love the look so I decided to take the hard route and add an 03-06 switch panel. Since this swap is documented I didn't take any pictures (I'll post a link when I find the thread). The blank spot will be getting an Aeroforce Interceptor when Magnum swap time comes.

https://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

The picture makes it look worse than it is, but it shows the age of my dash pretty bad. It's another post for another day, but that will be addressed in the future in some shape, form or fashion as I dig through the forums.

01fce44fc108742cd3534778668431123b36d4f092.jpg

I also added a Rugged Ridge Multi Mount system since my previous suction cup mount failed (note the gel on my windshield).

https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-dash-multi-mount/rgr-13551-19/

0161d9ab0a3d2d6f702741432f51cedc06ce30a328.jpg

The most exciting improvement was something that I've been wanting to do for a long time - Rubicon wheels! I found a deal on a set of 5 wheels with 4 305/70 Toyo MTs that I couldn't pass up. The previous wheels and tires went on Facebook Marketplace.

01169276cd66847b22c4f287494e48159bd96f0ff1.jpg

Last edited:
The end? No motor swap pics, regearing??
Cosmetic build to this point.
Hope everything is OK with the PO
I'm surprised anyone was actually reading this! I'm still here and the jeep is still doing Jeep things. The motor swap was put on hold after the .gov's tax return became a tax owed this year. I have an upcoming round of maintenance and interior upgrades slated for next month to prep for an upcoming beach trip in the Jeep. I'll be sure to document that here.

I'm surprised anyone was actually reading this! I'm still here and the jeep is still doing Jeep things. The motor swap was put on hold after the .gov's tax return became a tax owed this year. I have an upcoming round of maintenance and interior upgrades slated for next month to prep for an upcoming beach trip in the Jeep. I'll be sure to document that here.

Of course we are. Always enjoy reading others builds.

Information junkies when it comes to TJs. I'm building one from scratch and my wife is using the donor ZJ for beach and mountain trips with the boy and his friends. Just a 5.2L Magnum but with all the Mopar race guys I know, I should be able to build something that will move and last

Reactions: Wildman
Information junkies when it comes to TJs. I'm building one from scratch and my wife is using the donor ZJ for beach and mountain trips with the boy and his friends. Just a 5.2L Magnum but with all the Mopar race guys I know, I should be able to build something that will move and last

The 5.2 is more than enough to have fun with. There are tons of little mods you can do to give a few more ponies.

Reactions: FishinSam