97/tj/dana 30/axle U-joints

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey, i got to looking at my axle u joints on my newly bought 97 tj. Should i change them just because i dont know when the last time if ever they were changed, or wait till there are signs before i change them? The front axle is a D-30 and rear is a D-35
thanks

I did spend some time looking them over and tried to move the tire around but everything seamed tight. they have some surface rust on them but still seam strong.

Hey, i got to looking at my axle u joints on my newly bought 97 tj. Should i change them just because i dont know when the last time if ever they were changed, or wait till there are signs before i change them? The front axle is a D-30 and rear is a D-35
thanks
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

thanks
There are ways to check them. Look for bits of rust powder around the ends of the caps where they press into the yokes. The means the cap is seizing on the bearings and will fail soon. It is also ruining the yoke holes.

Lift the tire off the ground and roll it slightly back and forth with a pry bar under the yoke on the inner and look for slight bits of movement between the body of the cross and the caps.

Turn the inner yoke vertical with the tire and gently pry it up and down to see if there is any end play in the caps up and down.

If you have any of those, replace the joints.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee