97 TJ headlights only work on high beams

JoeyJeeper94

Hi all, I have a weird one for you. I have a 97 TJ and driving last night I noticed all of the sudden my headlights stopped working. I tried to turn them on and off with no luck. The high beams worked though so I could atleast see until I parked it.

Took a look at it today and it seems that all my other lights work. Turn signal, dash lights, dimmer, dome lamp. But now the high beams only will work if I wiggle the signal toggle on the steering column. The 97 has the pull switch on the dash for the lights and i know one easy option is to change the switch out (I read a few replies from Jerry on this subject) but it doesn’t seem to me that the switch is manlfunctioning because everything else on the light switch is performing like normal. And now the real weird part is if I have my lights on (switch pulled out) and I signal to the left, my regular headlights come on like normal but only if the signal is on and only turning left not right. Please tell me I don’t have to pull the steering wheel and change the steering column lever!

Here’s my setup just for a visual. Please help!

839931F7-3C1A-4DD2-86AE-69EA23CFB205.jpeg

No need to remove the steering wheel to change the high beam/turn signal switch. Just a few philips head screws and you can be done in ten minutes.

Reactions: JoeyJeeper94
Well put the new dash switch in and it made no difference but for $17 it atleast narrowed things down for me. I took the steering wheel cover off and after wiggling around the wiring harness going in to the turn signal/high beam toggle I got my lights to come on. Only problem now is that they shut off anytime I signal. So anybody have any direction on how to change out the high beam/turn signal toggle on a 97? I think it’s the same from 97-99 if I’m not mistaken.

Well put the new dash switch in and it made no difference but for $17 it atleast narrowed things down for me. I took the steering wheel cover off and after wiggling around the wiring harness going in to the turn signal/high beam toggle I got my lights to come on. Only problem now is that they shut off anytime I signal. So anybody have any direction on how to change out the high beam/turn signal toggle on a 97? I think it’s the same from 97-99 if I’m not mistaken.
Wait, I thought you were going to install the turn signal/high-beam switch and not the pull-out dash switch. You described it as it making more sense the problem was from the turn signal/high-beam switch and not the pull-out knob and I agreed with you. :confused:

Wait, I thought you were going to install the turn signal/high-beam switch and not the pull-out dash switch. You described it as it making more sense the problem was from the turn signal/high-beam switch and not the pull-out knob and I agreed with you. :confused:

Yes I should’ve done that in the first place. Sorry for the confusion. I went against my gut. I tried to take the easy way out because I guess I’m a little chicken when it comes to the steering column and accessories but you made it sound pretty doable?

Yes I should’ve done that in the first place. Sorry for the confusion. I went against my gut. I tried to take the easy way out because I guess I’m a little chicken when it comes to the steering column and accessories but you made it sound pretty doable?
Two screws under the plastic cover that surrounds the steering column and you can pull that cover off to expose the switch lever assembly which is only held on, if I recall correctly, by two phillips head screws.

Reactions: JoeyJeeper94