97 TJ Hood Safety Latch?

So it didn’t take long to figure out my hood latch problem. Someone installed grill inserts which blocked access to the latch, then bent the hook over so it wouldn’t latch. I straightened the hook back to where it is supposed to be and the inserts are coming out. For now my pocket knife works to slide the hook over. The crazy things people do in their effort to customize....

Glad you figured it out! And yes, you're right... I love (sarcasm) buying cars from people in which I end up finding all sorts of ways they rigged up different things.

There were two different latches used on the '97 TJ based on when it was manufactured. Look on your driver's side door jamb for the manufacturer's plate which will give the month and year of manufacture. Like my '97 TJ had a manufacturing date of 3/96.

HOOK, Hood Safety Catch
55074952AB 1 Up to 1-2-97, 1997 TJ
55176731AA 1 After 1-3-97

It's likely you need the first of those two part numbers.

The screw that holds it is:
SCREW, Tapping, M6x1x20

Once you figure out which of the two safety catches you need, just do a Google search. Very likely you'll be able to find it on eBay.

Hey Jerry, I just bought a 98 TJ from a buddy and it was missing the center hood safety latch. I wanted you to know that your post was of great help to me identifying the part number and the description of the bolt that holds it on. Cheers, Todd M. Ackerman

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Hey Jerry, I just bought a 98 TJ from a buddy and it was missing the center hood safety latch. I wanted you to know that your post was of great help to me identifying the part number and the description of the bolt that holds it on. Cheers, Todd M. Ackerman

Just got the new hood center latch installed a couple days ago. I couldn't find the self-tapping kind of bolt but the threads and length were correct and it seemed to install perfectly.
10764.jpeg

There were two different latches used on the '97 TJ based on when it was manufactured. Look on your driver's side door jamb for the manufacturer's plate which will give the month and year of manufacture. Like my '97 TJ had a manufacturing date of 3/96.

HOOK, Hood Safety Catch

SCREW, Tapping, M6x1x20

Once you figure out which of the two safety catches you need, just do a Google search. Very likely you'll be able to find it on eBay.

Jerry, sorry to revive an old thread but

HOOK, Hood Safety Catch

SCREW, Tapping, M6x1x20

Sorry to revive an old thread - any idea which screw I'd need for the MOPAR or Crown catch replacement on an '04. Or is it the same?

If you're talking about the vertically mounted screw that holds the hood latch onto the hood, its size is a 6mm x1.00x20.00.