97 TJ Sahara rust spots

skinnyguinea

Looking to buy a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara and came across this rust spots when looking at it. They are asking for 9k. Are this rust spots ok or should I avoid this vehicle?

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg

Looking to buy a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara and came across this rust spots when looking at it. They are asking for 9k. Are this rust spots ok or should I avoid this vehicle?

View attachment 523405

View attachment 523406

I live in Ohio, and there are plenty of rust free TJ's for 9k or less.

Being in NC, you can spend a bit less and have a virtually rust free rig.

Thanks for this. Im going to keep looking. Honestly though, Im not seeing much for less on FB Marketplace...

Keep looking. Don't settle for rust. You can fix or replace anything but rust fairly easily. Rust, unless done correctly (so expensive and time consuming), is extremely difficult to stop. Where the torque boxes are rotted, leads me to believe there's rot elsewhere. Just save yourself the headache and go rust free. The deal will come.

My theory is online listings on FB marketplace for Jeeps and higher trim trucks that are rust free from the south get marked up by a lot of folks to entice the northerners.

Yep, that’s a no go for me. Better for same or less money. The COVID spike is over. Look hard, buy a good one.

• Love
Reactions: Cooper Smith
Thanks I'll keep looking! This will be my first wrangler purchase so I appreciate the guidance

Good plan asking for feedback. Look closely at the bottom of the body / tub and inside the holes in the frame. Even stick your finger in and feel for rust scale.

Rust is the #1 sucky part about buying a wrangler. That and overall mechanical condition, which you can use to negotiate. Rust, not so much.

Reactions: Granite
There are several good ones on the DFW marketplace for 6-7k. There's one 97 auto that appears to be in good shape for $5500. $9k for the one you posted is not a surprising asking price, and he might get it too. But now you know better. Let some other sucker take the fall.

• Love
Reactions: Cooper Smith