97 TJ taillights

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
I have a ‘97 and know there’s a few things here and there they did differently in the first bit of production. But I’m having issues with some factory tail lights I picked up second hand. The lights and harness looked unmolested prior to install. But when shopping around I see some lights like from Quadratrac labeled is ‘98-‘06. Is this just a weird thing on their site or did the lights change after the first year? And how did they change if they did? Thinking this could potentially be the root of my tail light issues?

Okay. But the wiring is pretty much the same? Like if I spliced on my connectors it should work?

Use a couple of jumpers and find out.
So when I run a jumper from the battery to the plug on the lights I get both reverse and brake light to work. And when I hold a tester to the body side plug I get around 11v for both. But when I plug in the light I get brake and turn signal. But no reverse. And when I turn the headlights on I get a running light, but no brake or turn signal.

So when I run a jumper from the battery to the plug on the lights I get both reverse and brake light to work. And when I hold a tester to the body side plug I get around 11v for both. But when I plug in the light I get brake and turn signal. But no reverse. And when I turn the headlights on I get a running light, but no brake or turn signal.
Is the light housing grounded? Do you have the correct lamps in the sockets?

Okay. But the wiring is pretty much the same? Like if I spliced on my connectors it should work?
It's your Jeep but please don't cut and splice them - The factory connectors are some nice sealed units. It would be well worth it to look for some 97 or earlier lights that are the right ones and save you trouble down the road with spliced connections corroding and other issues.

Is the light housing grounded? Do you have the correct lamps in the sockets?
So the light is grounded, bulbs are good. I get over 11v at the connectors to the break light when grounded, but nothing to the reverse. So I pulled the fuse and checked there. I’m getting about 11v when I test the fuse box. I pulled the plug in the driver’s side footwell and held a probe to the pin that correlates to the wire that goes to the reverse lights and get nothing. So I’m guessing somehow I have a break in the line behind my dash between the fuse box and that connection?

So the light is grounded, bulbs are good. I get over 11v at the connectors to the break light when grounded, but nothing to the reverse. So I pulled the fuse and checked there. I’m getting about 11v when I test the fuse box. I pulled the plug in the driver’s side footwell and held a probe to the pin that correlates to the wire that goes to the reverse lights and get nothing. So I’m guessing somehow I have a break in the line behind my dash between the fuse box and that connection?
The reverse light switch would have to be closed for you to test past the transmission.

It's your Jeep but please don't cut and splice them - The factory connectors are some nice sealed units. It would be well worth it to look for some 97 or earlier lights that are the right ones and save you trouble down the road with spliced connections corroding and other issues.
The PO already did some cutting and splicing so when I swapped some lights on the rear that were in much better shape than the ones on mine I had to splice connectors on anyways.

I have done this swap before and yes everything will work fine..look at both working schematics and write down which colors match and make your connections

Yep. That’s what I have going on and no power at the terminal in the driver’s side footwell. So I did a jumper from the fuse box to the female connector in the driver’s side footwell that runs the inside of the tub to the lights and I get light. So I’m pretty positive that means I have a break behind the dash.

I ran a new wire from the back of the fuse box to the back of the footwell plug and have success. That was easier than digging through the looms to find where the break was and fixing that.