97 TJ wont start

willb97

I have a 97, TJ 2.5 (manual) and am new to the Jeep family. Problem is my fuel gauge and voltage gauge wont come on and it cranks but will not start. Any help here would be highly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

If voltage gauge doesn’t work it is likely a battery problem. I would check battery and then the alternator. If you live near a advance auto or something similar they can check both for free

Check your ASD and fuel pump relays. Swap them out with a similar relay from another slot and see if the problem persists. Also check the fuses in the PDC

If voltage gauge doesn’t work it is likely a battery problem. I would check battery and then the alternator. If you live near a advance auto or something similar they can check both for free
The battery seems fine and it cranks and cranks but just will not start.

Check your ASD and fuel pump relays. Swap them out with a similar relay from another slot and see if the problem persists. Also check the fuses in the PDC
relay and fuse are both good. another thread had mentioned the cps. could a bad cps keep it from starting? seems unlikely. again, thank you in advance.

relay and fuse are both good. another thread had mentioned the cps. could a bad cps keep it from starting? seems unlikely. again, thank you in advance.
Generally it would run but very rough and with a CEL.

When you put the key into the ignition and turn it to run before attempting a start, do you hear the fuel pump come on for a second? It sounds like a small whoosh at the rear of the vehicle and only lasts about a second after the key is turned from Stop to Run

Have the same problem on my ‘97 SE. I pulled the PCM out of my ‘98 SE and it fired right up.
I’m having my PCM rebuilt and will go from there.

When you put the key into the ignition and turn it to run before attempting a start, do you hear the fuel pump come on for a second? It sounds like a small whoosh at the rear of the vehicle and only lasts about a second after the key is turned from Stop to Run
Yes, the fuel pump is coming on and working. It use to start eventually, but now, what ever was causing the original problem has totally shut down. will not start. Cranks but wont start.

Try a little starting fluid in the throttle body. If it trys to run, you know you got a fuel problem....no try to run you probably got ignition problem.

yes, when I turn the key to the on position, the fuel pump comes on and stays on. It doesn't sound like it shuts off within a second or two. But, before this problem it did the same thing and yet it did start. now, no fuel gauge or voltage gauge working. Confused!!!

Have the same problem on my ‘97 SE. I pulled the PCM out of my ‘98 SE and it fired right up.
I’m having my PCM rebuilt and will go from there.
Thank you but knowing my luck, I would replace the pcm and it still wouldn't start. I guess its my kind of luck but I'd rather try the less expensive avenues first. (Not doubting you whatsoever) Thanks again, will keep you posted