97 TJs: Antique tag in 4 years

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
This applies to Texas vehicles, not sure about other states...

In Texas you can get a license tag that says "Antique", once the vehicle reaches 25 years old.

How cool would it be to drive around in a 25 year old yet new looking Jeep TJ with an 'antique' license tag.
I plan to :)

Reactions: Kathy and Kiwi TJ

In Texas you can get a license tag that says "Antique", once the vehicle reaches 25 years old.

How cool would it be to drive around in a 25 year old yet new looking Jeep TJ with an 'antique' license tag.
Sorry this meant to go in jeep general discussion.... :-/

Sorry this meant to go in jeep general discussion.... :-/

I moved it for you!

You can get this tag in Oregon as well, once the vehicle is 25 years or older. I look forward to it one day. Mine is a 2005 though, so I've got longer to go.

Reactions: KCsTJ

Alabama the vehicle needs to be 30 years or older and can’t be used for general transportation.

Now if I move to florida post college then heck yeah I’m picking one up :).

Reactions: Starrs and KCsTJ
I moved it for you!

You can get this tag in Oregon as well, once the vehicle is 25 years or older. I look forward to it one day. Mine is a 2005 though, so I've got longer to go.
You can in Arizona too, and once that happens, you can get collectors insurance, and be exempt from mandatory emission control here.
Good point, you also get a break re: emissions testing, don't have to meet all the dang emissions junk

Almost worth moving to Oregon for, well that, and no sales tax hehe.

Yep, but they get you on the income tax, trust me!

that's the only thing our vehicle inspection checks here in NJ..'95 and older it's exempt from any inspection at all, no special plates required

We're fortunate enough to have zero inspections whatsoever, and no emissions either. It's something I'm very happy about!

I always hear about these inspections in other states, and it sounds like nothing but a hassle.

We're fortunate enough to have zero inspections whatsoever, and no emissions either. It's something I'm very happy about!

I always hear about these inspections in other states, and it sounds like nothing but a hassle.

I actually thought it was a good thing when they used to do the full inspection and checked everything like the brakes, horn, lights, wipers, rust and such as well as the emissions...kept a lot if rundown junkers off the road

now, it's pretty much a joke and a waste of 15 minutes of the day going to the inspection station

I actually thought it was a good thing when they used to do the full inspection and checked everything like the brakes, horn, lights, wipers, rust and such as well as the emissions...kept a lot if rundown junkers off the road

now, it's pretty much a joke and a waste of 15 minutes of the day going to the inspection station

I hear that all of the time, Here in AZ and in WA it is just emissions and not a safety inspection. We have wait times of over 2 hours sometimes so if they were going to add a safety check we would have to take a vacation day especially because I have multiple vehicles and multiple motorcycles. but not having that I can't speak for the junkers. I am not sure how to compare it. I rarely see cars on the side of the road where someone isn't carrying a gas can one way or the other. Every now and then I see a car with a burned out bulb. I would hope people could figure out how to check their bulbs once in a while. When I worked as a tech up in WA we checked all of the bulbs on all oil changes and if a bulb was burned out we just replaced it unless it was a headlight. but always offered to replace it right there. I would be really curious to find out junkers to non-junkers in states that do safety inspections to states that don't.

My wife got a promotion and we almost had to move to Texas, and I read that every car has to go through an annual inspection and since between the both of us we have so many vehicles, I was not looking forward to that, but from what I was reading people didn't mind it. I don't know why myself because I have gotten around going through emissions as much as possible. So far I have been able to do it with all of my vehicles but my TJ. And believe me, pretty soon I am going to antique it, so I don't have to deal with going to emissions.

Here in AZ you get a late fee if you don't make it on the day or before it is due, and you only have a small window before. So I have to plan when I am going to take my Jeep apart to make sure it is running in that window to get the emissions or pay a late fee that accrues monthly. The whole thing is a hassle.

@Chris, we pay both sales and state tax here, and the state tax here is no joke. Sales tax is 8.6 here.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris

We get checked every 6 months here....if you fail then your off the road and your insurance wont pay out if you have an accident, probably the same over there too?

We get checked every 6 months here....if you fail then your off the road and your insurance wont pay out if you have an accident, probably the same over there too?

TX inspection isn’t required until a new car is two years old. The annual isn’t that bad unless you are running an exhaust that won’t pass emissions. Then it can be a bit of a hassle.

I like the NZ way of cutting off insurance. Unfortunately in TX there are a lot of uninsured motorists. We are required to carry insurance (uninsured motorist) that covers you if the at fault party is uninsured. Most people don’t notice it as it’s just a layered in cost, but insurance would be cheaper without it.

If they turned off your insurance for the inspection a lot of insured people would be angry!

NO inspections here...25 years old qualifies as antique. Our insurance is RIDICULOUS! No-fault insurance is uber-expensive. Basically, your insurance only covers YOU...so if someone runs into me, my insurance still pays the bill. The only difference of fault is whether I have to pay my deductible or not. Its Michigan's dumb way around uninsured people...which I still pay a rider on my policy for. Its insane...I have three vehicles, and my wife and I both have excellent credit and driving records. My insurance is $3000 a year!

So...no state inspections, but we do have stupid insurance laws, state income tax and state sales tax...its almost criminal.

Reactions: ac_ and KCsTJ
TX inspection isn’t required until a new car is two years old. The annual isn’t that bad unless you are running an exhaust that won’t pass emissions. Then it can be a bit of a hassle.

I like the NZ way of cutting off insurance. Unfortunately in TX there are a lot of uninsured motorists. We are required to carry insurance (uninsured motorist) that covers you if the at fault party is uninsured. Most people don’t notice it as it’s just a layered in cost, but insurance would be cheaper without it.

If they turned off your insurance for the inspection a lot of insured people would be angry!
Well if your running around on the road without the 'passed' inspection sticker on your window then your illegal therefore insurance says NO !!
We also pay registration fee every year...in the Uk its called road tax....again you can get a ticket if its not up to date (big sigh)