97 TJs: Antique tag in 4 years

When my 97 passed inspection 2 weeks ago, (texas) I was told the inspection is good for 2 years

Yeah KC that’s a bit of a loophole with the new 1 sticker program. Kiwi we have registration too. They just started a 1 sticker program where it’s just registration sticker in the window, but to re-register your inspection has to be good within 90 days.

So KC if you got inspected today and registered tomorrow, you could technically re-register in 11 months before inspection was up and be good for 2 years.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Yeah KC that’s a bit of a loophole with the new 1 sticker program. Kiwi we have registration too. They just started a 1 sticker program where it’s just registration sticker in the window, but to re-register your inspection has to be good within 90 days.

So KC if you got inspected today and registered tomorrow, you could technically re-register in 11 months before inspection was up and be good for 2 years.
Hey nice thinking jchadscud I may just do that :)

Emissions testing, every two years, is just the county I live in, lucky me. The rest of NM, to my knowledge, has no testing requirement.

I lived in PA for most of my life and they had safety inspections, it was kind of a pain but generally didn't notice any piles on the road. Then, when I went and lived in Cleveland for a little, and I believe Ohio is just emissions, that was the first time I saw a car's wheel come off driving down the road and just the most rusted out junk vehicles on the road so I see arguments both ways :D

NO inspections here...25 years old qualifies as antique. Our insurance is RIDICULOUS! No-fault insurance is uber-expensive. Basically, your insurance only covers YOU...so if someone runs into me, my insurance still pays the bill. The only difference of fault is whether I have to pay my deductible or not. Its Michigan's dumb way around uninsured people...which I still pay a rider on my policy for. Its insane...I have three vehicles, and my wife and I both have excellent credit and driving records. My insurance is $3000 a year!

So...no state inspections, but we do have stupid insurance laws, state income tax and state sales tax...its almost criminal.

Between me and my wife same as you no tickets, or accidents flawless credit, we pay $2000 a year, but don't have uninsured and under insured. It is so ridiculous here that we pay insurance for ourselves then we pay insurance for those that dont have plus we pay insurance for if the others don't have enough insurance. Luckily I can refuse to pay all of that extra insurance bullshit but we still pay $2000 annually without it and if we get hit by someone that doesn't have insurance we are just out. But we can sue them, but I figure if they had anything to sue for, they would have insurance. We luckily have good health insurance, so we will get taken care of, but our cars will become planters in the yard hehe.

Emissions testing, every two years, is just the county I live in, lucky me. The rest of NM, to my knowledge, has no testing requirement.

Good point, I forgot that certain counties in Texas have different emissions requirements. I know Dallas and several surrounding counties are on the more strict side. You can’t get inspected in one county and registered in another unless the inspecting county meets or exceeds the more stringent emissions standard of the registering county. You could register outside of the more strict county, but would need someone to let you borrow their mailing address. I’m not sure if they do anything to validate that workaround.

Good point, I forgot that certain counties in Texas have different emissions requirements. I know Dallas and several surrounding counties are on the more strict side. You can’t get inspected in one county and registered in another unless the inspecting county meets or exceeds the more stringent emissions standard of the registering county. You could register outside of the more strict county, but would need someone to let you borrow their mailing address. I’m not sure if they do anything to validate that workaround.
Same here. Rio Rancho is pretty much part of Albuquerque metro area, but they are in the adjacent county, and don't have emissions testing required. Yet, more than half of them probably drive into Abq. every day. If they do, they're supposed to get emissions testing, but no one does.

Same here. Rio Rancho is pretty much part of Albuquerque metro area, but they are in the adjacent county, and don't have emissions testing required. Yet, more than half of them probably drive into Abq. every day. If they do, they're supposed to get emissions testing, but no one does.

It is a really stupid system. It probably helps a little. At least here in AZ you are exempt for the first 5 years of the vehicle. So you don't have to start emissions for 5 years after you buy the car. So if you lease your cars you probably never have to go through emissions. but for the most part if you fail here you change something to make it pass or register it out in the country or register it as an antique if it is old enough, but for the most part you run some kind of cleaner or alcohol get it to pass after the 3rd time, and go on polluting just the same, out all of that money you put up just to keep driving it. Seriously if your TJ didn't pass because your motor was warn out. Are you going to put a new motor in it just to pass emissions? Nope you wont, you will put a new motor in it when you get it towed home or to the shop because it doesn't run anymore. haha. You will drive that oil consuming/burner till it dies! I know I will.

There needs to be a better system. I cannot complain too loud because I don't know what that is going to look like, but going to the emissions is a pain, and here we don't even have to have the safety inspection. Which I am happy for to tell you the truth. We really don't need the process any more time consuming. I will drive around junkers all day than sit in a line in my running car in 120 degree weather for 2 hours. BTW we don't have safety inspections here, and I don't notice driving around junkers all day. (I do notice swerving to miss cell phone talkers) <— that seems like more of a problem to me. It is not much different than swerving to avoid drunk drivers in the 70's and 80's.

I hear that all of the time, Here in AZ and in WA it is just emissions and not a safety inspection. We have wait times of over 2 hours sometimes so if they were going to add a safety check we would have to take a vacation day especially because I have multiple vehicles and multiple motorcycles. .

our inspection station have "wait queue" cameras so you can go online and see how long the lines are at the different stations...lets you plan when/where to go and when to just wait till another day
http://pweb.nj-cleanair.com/waitqueue/pages/facility/cifDetail.jsf

our inspection station have "wait queue" cameras so you can go online and see how long the lines are at the different stations...lets you plan when/where to go and when to just wait till another day
http://pweb.nj-cleanair.com/waitqueue/pages/facility/cifDetail.jsf

We have those too, but I went a couple of weeks ago, and was the 4th car in line, and I only have to get the ALDL check, and it was way over an hour before I got in there. Luckily it is in the low 80's. When we had to do motorcycles, I had to sit on my motorcycle for over an hour in July anywhere from 115 - 120 degrees, and you have to keep the vehicle running. No shade not that that matters when it is that hot.

Hassle. Thinking about it I sound like the old guy that had to walk ten miles up hill to school in the snow with no shoes, but what I am saying is true, it takes them an hour and a half to get 4 cars through. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if we had to do safety checks also. Let the police handle that on the road. That is what they are there for make sure we don't break any laws.

This way if I take care of my car myself, I won't get hassled at all. Trust me I don't like to get towed, and I don't like to get hassled, so my vehicles work good! The people that don't care as much as me get tickets. They can either support the state, or fix their car.