97 Wrangler California emissions “catalyst” label

Donjavo

Hi! I need some help. My jeep is failing smog due to emissions label missing... dumb but no one will pass it. The label is discontinued.. great. Anyways, can someone post a picture of their label on here? It has to be 1997 and for the 4.0 engine. Thanks!!!

• Face Palm
Reactions: Plumber1
Take it to another shop, the label isn't required in California to pass and never has been.

Edit: A STAR station might help, they generally are better or at least know the rules.

Hope this helps

11637963-B71E-45C8-A785-BAA21D8C4A5C.jpeg

Reactions: pagrey
When I lived in commiefornia I went to register my KTM 950. Took it to a local dmv and they would NOT register it, period, until they saw the 'meets Ca emissions" sticker. The manual even stated ALL 05 KTM 950's are ca smog compliant. The bike had to be stripped of its body work down to the frame where the sticker was and trucked back. Id like to have kick the F outta the little snot nosed bastard at the Paso Robles branch. Ignorant bunch of self serving government loving bastards there. When I contested their stupidity they told me they were going to call the sheriffs dept and have me hauled off. yeppers, try an different DMV unless they already robbed you of your fees and made a note in your file your missing the smog sticker. better yet move far away from that shithole. :)

Reactions: Modoc Guy
I've never had an issue. My sticker isn't even readable. Mine is federal build and brought to CA. So that might be it.

Check if you can read the part number on the catalytic converter as well. One shop tried to fail me because they refused to look with more than a mirror.

I actually make automotive labels like that if you need one. I'm pretty busy this week so it would probably take a couple days, but give me a shout if you need one.
Rattler6 is the man for this type of thing. My labels were top notch!

Reactions: Rattler6
When I moved to San Francisco in 1998, I had to pay an extra $300 to register my Honda because the emissions sticker only said US EPA (no California). IIRC someone sued; I did get my $300 back.

I've never had an issue. My sticker isn't even readable. Mine is federal build and brought to CA. So that might be it.

Check if you can read the part number on the catalytic converter as well. One shop tried to fail me because they refused to look with more than a mirror.
That’s the annoying part. All parts have CARB stamps on them that are readable. I have paperwork proving it’s for a 97 Jeep. They just look at me and say “this jeep has multiple family numbers and without the emissions label I don’t know which one yours is” even though my paperwork clearly shows it covers multiple family numbers.

If it isn't clearly marked with a valid CARB number you probably aren't passing, sorry. The sticker isn't going to change that.
It is clearly marked with a valid CARB number and I have paperwork to show it’s for both family numbers that CA cares about for a 1997 Jeep Wrangler. They are literally failing me for not having a sticker. After it failed once, I’ve tried 3 other STAR smog stations and they don’t even start the smog unless I have a sticker. I’ve read online multiple times that a sticker is not required, I’ve told them that and they say I’m wrong.

Are you importing the Jeep into California? That is a different thing for sure. If that's the case sorry for the bad advice.
No need to apologize, I appreciate all the help i'm getting!!

So I just did more research and turns out that my Jeep is an out of state vehicle with Federal emissions. I don't know why it never failed before but here we are. Anyways, now that I know this, does anyone know the rules on federal emissions in CA? Like I said before, the CAT is a CARB approved replacement, do I need to go back to federal approved? I'll be going this weekend and see what smog techs tell me.

As long as the cat has a CARB number you're good on that. Bring the work order if a shop did it so they don't have to drop the skid.

The tight restrictions in CA started around 2000.

Mines a federal spec 97 and passes no problem. Maybe you need the hood sticker that says that? They should be able to get all of that from the VIN.

If you have a precious smog pass cert, bring that. If you fail multiple times in a row you get added as at risk and have to smog every other year

So I just did more research and turns out that my Jeep is an out of state vehicle with Federal emissions. I don't know why it never failed before but here we are.
I'd get a sticker and make it look like it was always there before I did anything else considering all that. No idea why they are giving you flack now, that sucks.