97 Wrangler sounds like a wooden rollercoaster

Sam Ryan

I've got a 97 Wrangler with a 4.0L in it, and haven't had to many issues, but the guy who owned it before me definitely ran it rough. Had a few pieces cracked and the frame certainly has been through a lot, but overall it's been a pretty reliable car. Until recently.

I noticed after driving on the highway it was shaking pretty bad, and shortly after I noticed a sound like a chain running, which quickly got to the point of it sounding like a roller coaster about ready to launch every time I am going over 10 mph. I thought maybe it was my skid plate because just the other day a bolt snapped on it and it has just enough play to wobble in the wind, which I know is part of the vibrations. But just today I was coasting in a parking lot and I heard a horrendous thud from the bottom of the car so I stopped to check it out, but nothing looks out of place. I fear it may be my transfer case, I haven't been able to get the plate off yet but once I do hopefully I can get a better look at everything, in the meantime any theories? Anything I can bootleg to get it to survive a 2 hour drive back from college?

Maybe could you try moving the transfer case shifter lever a little and see if it changed anything? Before I got my savvy shifter cable my transfer case would make a horrible grinding noise in 4low, I think because it was not fully engaging so maybe yours could be something similar