98 4.0: How much should I expect to pay to have a new exhaust manifold installed?

BBQBOB

Howdy - I have the infamous small exhaust leak on my 98 TJ. I purchased a dorman manifold from Autozone for ~$200. Don't have the time to do myself

How much should I anticipate in labor? Hours / cost. I know it is subjective to location but would appreciate any help if anyone has done this repair recently

Thank you

I paid to have the exhaust manifold replaced a couple times in the past. Once I retired my Jeep from DD duty I tackled the job myself. It's really not too bad but I understand where you're at, needing the work done and not having time.

I'd recommend just calling a few shops local to you. You might find the quotes vary depending on how familiar they are with that job or how badly they need the work.

How much should I anticipate in labor? Hours / cost.
Just call your local shops and ask for an estimate. They'll probably give you a time estimate based on something like the ALLDATA listing for the job multiplied by their hourly rate + parts (including markup) * local sales tax.

There is a high likelihood that an experienced mechanic will be able to get the job done quicker than the ALLDATA estimate, but will still charge the full amount. Some do, some don't.

I haven't done this particular job at all, but here's my incredibly rough assumption:

If a forum user did it in 1.5hrs, the book probably says 3 hours.
Local rates in my area are around $150/hr.
Your $200 Dorman manifold might come to $250.
Local sales tax comes out to between 9.5-10.5%
So (3*150) + (250*1.095) = $723.75.

I could be so unbelievably far off the mark though. Call your local shops and get a few "out the door" estimates.

Reactions: SSTJ and BBQBOB