'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee stuck in park

CJP04

I got in the ZJ today, turned it on, pushed in the brake, pulled the gear shifter back to reverse, tapped the gas, and the Jeep didn't move.

The engine is running, but when I move the gear shifter, I'm not hearing anything engaging from the transmission. It appears to be stuck in park no matter what gear I move the shifter to. Any ideas what's going on? :unsure:

I got in the ZJ today, turned it on, pushed in the brake, pulled the gear shifter back to reverse, tapped the gas, and the Jeep didn't move.

The engine is running, but when I move the gear shifter, I'm not hearing anything engaging from the transmission. It appears to be stuck in park no matter what gear I move the shifter to. Any ideas what's going on? :unsure:
Is your E-brake on ? 😁
Sorry seriously though have you checked the trans fluid?

Is your E-brake on ? 😁
Sorry seriously though have you checked the trans fluid?

Haha! :LOL: If the e-brake on this Jeep can hold back the 5.9, I'd be really impressed. No, e-brake wasn't engaged, nor was the e-brake indicator light illuminated on the dashboard.

Last time I checked the transmission fluid was a couple weeks ago. I'll do that tomorrow, but what am I looking for with the transmission fluid?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Haha! :LOL: If the e-brake on this Jeep can hold back the 5.9, I'd be really impressed. No, e-brake wasn't engaged, nor was the e-brake indicator light illuminated on the dashboard.

Last time I checked the transmission fluid was a couple weeks ago. I'll do that tomorrow, but what am I looking for with the transmission fluid?
I had an auto many many years ago and my trans fluid had run out and stopped me being able to select a gear....good place to start I thought

I had an auto many many years ago and my trans fluid had run out and stopped me being able to select a gear....good place to start I thought

Interesting, I'll check the fluid tomorrow.

I should probably mention that I took the shifter panel off yesterday in a feeble attempt to line up the shift indicator with the correct gear. Perhaps I disconnected something this time around?

I have a 96 ZJ and my shift linkage came loose once. Have someone run the shifter back and forth while you are looking under the Jeep where the shifter linkage is attached to the trans. You should see the lever on the trans moving if the linkage is working.

Reactions: CJP04
I have a 96 ZJ and my shift linkage came loose once. Have someone run the shifter back and forth while you are looking under the Jeep where the shifter linkage is attached to the trans. You should see the lever on the trans moving if the linkage is working.

That ended up being the problem. When I crawled under the Jeep, I saw the socket end of the shifter cable suspended in the air. I reattached it and the gears they are engagin'! :giggle:

Reactions: DuncLJ
That ended up being the problem. When I crawled under the Jeep, I saw the socket end of the shifter cable suspended in the air. I reattached it and the gears they are engagin'! :giggle:
Right on, right on!!